AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Marvin Electronics in any way. I have purchased a few audio components from them in the past and may buy speakers from them in the future...

Their big fall show is Oct 9-11th. They will supposedly have the new Elite 50 there along with factory reps from Pioneer.

I just wanted to let local folks know in case they are interested in seeing the improvements in the line. IF it is truly the 1110 model, it will have the new media box, included speakers, etc. They do not normally carry the 5030/5040 models.

Their web site is Marvin Electronics if you want contact info. They are not open late.

I will try to contact them right before the show, see which models they actually have on the floor and then update this thread.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As promised, I called them this morning. No shipment yet. Called just now and they are unpacking the boxes. Good news but not great news.

They received a Pro800HDI, Pro1000HDI and Pro910. No 1110.

So the 800HDI and the 1000HDI are supposedly the same (old) panel, just adding an HDMI (edited per Rogo's post below, not iLink) connection. The 910 is the new panel, media box and speakers.

I will try to compare them side by side and give you my impressions. I am not a trained videophile with lots of experience at this. (Not to mention I am partially colorblind to reds and greens, so don't expect any "green push" comments out of me...) But my wife has a good eye and a simple philosophy, yes or no....!

I will ask the Pioneer reps about the connections, the new filter, the ISF calibration, the availability of 5040/504 (although I don't expect them to have comment on those.) What else do I need to ask?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The 800 and 1000 add HDMI... Do they really add iLink? The plasmas have no tuners!

You will see no PQ differences in the 800 and 1000, other than those due to calibration and imagination. The panels and electronics are the same, only the interface is different.

I doubt any diffs on the 910 will really show up either, but at least there can be some there. :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Mark,

The 800 and 1000 add HDMI? How is this possible? I thought the 3rd

Generation Pioneers could not accept video resolutions through the slot? Do you know how the HDMI is being implemented and if it is HDCP compliant? This could be some sought of answer 3rd generation owners are looking for. Thanks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Edited my iLink typo above per Rogo's correction.

And yes, I was not expecting changes in the HDI models - I am going to try and compare the 910 to the 800HDI to see if any noticeable difference from all the "new tweaks" in their press release - "first true all digital path, etc...."

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Dan: You won't see changes because none were made.

Pciav: It's just a different interface card than the one that existed before. It is HDCP compliant, of course.

Mark

·
Registered
888 Posts
Rjonas: That is the $64,000 question...unknown at this point.

Mark: If no changes were made, then there is a good chance the card will work in other units unless it involves a firmware change &/or there are no plans to make the card available as a separate purchase.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O' come on, Mark! Give me a reason to drive 3.5 hours in the morning to Houston and then rush right back to make it to the show! :)

None of this is really new, just marketing speak?? From the Pioneer press release for the 910/1110:

Pioneer has also upped the ante by providing an industry first natural resize screen mode, digitally enhancing content that is 4:3 in nature, giving images less jagged edges and a more refined look.

In developing the PRO-1110HD and PRO-910HD, Pioneer’s engineers created enhancements that provide an unbelievably crisp image quality. New advancements include:

• A key technological advancement in these new televisions is Pure Drive, a pure digital signal path from source to image. This technology provides digital noise and MPEG noise reduction, more correction for image accuracy, improved gray scale and full control of the signal in the digital domain allowing for the display of more than a billion colors.

• Advanced PureCinema™ for faithful and accurate reproduction of film content. Pioneer is the first to introduce 3:3 film detection at 72Hz for the ultimate in film reproduction with the most natural image.

• Pure color filter II significantly decreases external light reflectivity to achieve higher levels of contrast even in direct light. The filter also reduces the unnecessary frequency of the red, green and blue signals to deliver greatly improved color purity and accuracy. The advancement from Pioneer’s original pure color filter is a greater emphasis on the reproduction of red colors, making them more vibrant and true to life. This enables Pioneer to live up to the absolute standards for color reproduction established by NTSC and ATSC.

• The advanced continuous emission display technology II is another industry first, continuing to eliminate false contours that can appear in close-ups of faces. This improved technology allows the plasma to display smooth transitions from dark to light areas without losing detail or compromising the image contrast. The improved technology works in conjunction with Pure Drive enabling the plasma panel to display more than a billion colors.

• ISF calibration mode is a color calibration procedure designed by and licensed from the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF). This capability allows advanced color calibration to be integrated into a plasma display with never before achieved simplicity and reliability.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I've seen the 910 and 1110. They look nice. I just doubt a demo is going to blow you away vs. the older models. And the major bugaboo -- black levels -- is at best marginally improved.

Mark

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Saw the 910 tonight on DVD, awesome picture. I put my comments on the HDMI / 5002 card issue in the Pioneer card thread. And I put my comments on PQ, 910, 5040 under the 5040 thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.