AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting for the Emotiva UMC-1, as many have, for a while. I was just told that there is another delay in shipment so I am not sure when I could expect to get one at this point. This has led me to see what else is out there, and I have found some things that have surprised me. I had my choices narrowed down to the NR807, 3310ci and VSX23TXH. Now with both Onkyo's announcement and Pioneer's announcement would it be wise to wait until the new models are released? I like that the Pioneer 1120k will have the Marvell but is it that much better than the Anchor Bay in the 1020k? How about the Faroujda DCDi chips in the new Onkyo SR608? I would ideally like to be able to scale my component connected Wii to 1080p, and would like the best chip possible to handle that.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
The best chip in the receivers you listed is in the 3310. However don't expect a whole lot of improvement from any AVR's video processor. They are all handcuffed to some point. I wouldn't purchase one due to its video processing abilities. Get one that has the power,connectivity,EQ program you favor, usability ,and will last a while. The 3310 would be an excellent choice, but the Elite 23 is an excellent choice also. Which can be had for the money you want dole out. I would read each of the threads for these two and check the pros and cons of each. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18279280

The best chip in the receivers you listed is in the 3310. However don't expect a whole lot of improvement from any AVR's video processor. They are all handcuffed to some point. I wouldn't purchase one due to its video processing abilities. Get one that has the power,connectivity,EQ program you favor, usability ,and will last a while. The 3310 would be an excellent choice, but the Elite 23 is an excellent choice also. Which can be had for the money you want dole out. I would read each of the threads for these two and check the pros and cons of each. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for your input! Does the Pioneer VSX-23 have the Anchor Bay in it as well? To be clear the only thing I will care about being scaled is the Wii component input. I have a Sammy BD2500 that will handle the up-scaling of DVDs and be passing a 1080p to the AVR. Power of the amps is of zero concern to me as I have an external amp that I will be using (Rotel RB985MK-II).

Sources will be:

Samsung BDP-2500

Xbox 360

Wii

Asus EB1501 or similar HTPC

DTV HR22-100

One more question on most of these AVRs, are the Video settings per input or global? On the UMC-1 they are global and I think this is a very poor implementation as I would only have it set to process on the Wii input and none of the HDMI sources, at least that's my plan.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was reading the 1020 owner's manual and on p.40 it talks about playing a source w/ HDMI:

- If the video signal does not appear on your

TV, try adjusting the resolution settings on

your component or display. Note that some

components (such as video game units)

have resolutions that may not be

converted. In this case, use an analog

video connection.

I was trying to figure out if this was talking the Wii, since technically the component video is an analog signal, or older consoles that only use composite video i.e. 480i.

The link below is to the owner's manual from the Pioneer site.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ctions0302.pdf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts