Coming from an SC1222 this looks like the time to upgrade for me

New gui
Wireless both 2.4 and 5.8
OSD
Atmos
Sub EQ
True dual sub out
Sabre DACs

I will miss my class D amps though. And power will be dropping to 95 from 130. And losing the front panel hide plate and controls. Meh, the convenience features seem worth it.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Still feels like time to wait if you can....

Going to be lots of choices soon.

Reactions: toddman36

·
Premium Member
93,222 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
This looks like a very tempting receiver, wondering what is the difference between this and the SC-1228-K?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Home/AV-Receivers/FutureShop/SC-1228-K

The list price on the 1228 is much more, and have the D3 amps, but that is all I notice. The 1228 is now a 2 year old model (but can be bought today new in stock)

:confused: The 1228 can be bought for $500 on sale, and I assume the new 1130 around the same price.

Which would be the better choice?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
616 Posts
The sc-1228 has the class d amps which are awesome. But the Vsx1130 adds Atmos, built in Bluetooth and WiFi, mcacc pro vs advanced, osd overlay, Spotify, new audio formats including dsd up to 5.8. There may be more also.

But again, the class d amps are awesome. I have the 1222 and am extremely happy with it. But the added features of this unit are enticing. I may wait to see if the sc models are affordable this year with Atmos and all the other bells and whistles.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The sc-1228 has the class d amps which are awesome. But the Vsx1130 adds Atmos, built in Bluetooth and WiFi, mcacc pro vs advanced, osd overlay, Spotify, new audio formats including dsd up to 5.8. There may be more also.

But again, the class d amps are awesome. I have the 1222 and am extremely happy with it. But the added features of this unit are enticing. I may wait to see if the sc models are affordable this year with Atmos and all the other bells and whistles.
Thanks Scoobdude!

In my application, music will be cranked a few times a year, and movies every weekend. I assume the class D will be noticeable on the music, but not the movies?

Speakers I'm using for mains, are Cerwin Vega AT-15's, which are just awesome speakers, but they are 4 ohm. The Pioneer does not say yay or nay to the 4 ohms for the VSX1130.

·
Registered
992 Posts
You may want to wait for the sc. They are 4 ohm stable. The class d puts out less heat, noticeable better mid, and a smaller drop in volume when additional channels are applied.

All depends on what volume you are listening at, room size, and crossover. I just picked up a vsx-90 yesterday (identical to the vsx-1130), I have a smaller room, but I am running pioneer atmos elite bookshelf speakers (4 ohm) in the front along with the matching elite center (also 4 ohm). I have b and w m1's (8 ohms) in the rear to complete a 5.2.1 setup. I keep all speakers at an 80hz crossover with my pb-2000 sub. I was watching a bunch of blu-rays around -15db yesterday for about an hour or so. I did run MCACC Pro beforehand, and I didn't notice any distortion, even though the volume was quite loud. I also put my hand on the top of the receiver afterwards, and it was barely warm. It is rated at 100 watts per channel at a 20-20 rating of .08THD. I haven't listened louder than that as I never go below -10db, but it seemed to handle everything fine. I doubt Pioneer would release an elite atmos receiver that couldn't adequately drive their own elite atmos speakers, just wouldn't make sense. If you are cranking out reference level volume for long periods of time in a large room and at a lower crossover, you may have less success. I hope that info helps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
All depends on what volume you are listening at, room size, and crossover. I just picked up a vsx-90 yesterday (identical to the vsx-1130), I have a smaller room, but I am running pioneer atmos elite bookshelf speakers (4 ohm) in the front along with the matching elite center (also 4 ohm). I have b and w m1's (8 ohms) in the rear to complete a 5.2.1 setup. I keep all speakers at an 80hz crossover with my pb-2000 sub. I was watching a bunch of blu-rays around -15db yesterday for about an hour or so. I did run MCACC Pro beforehand, and I didn't notice any distortion, even though the volume was quite loud. I also put my hand on the top of the receiver afterwards, and it was barely warm. It is rated at 100 watts per channel at a 20-20 rating of .08THD. I haven't listened louder than that as I never go below -10db, but it seemed to handle everything fine. I doubt Pioneer would release an elite atmos receiver that couldn't adequately drive their own elite atmos speakers, just wouldn't make sense. If you are cranking out reference level volume for long periods of time in a large room and at a lower crossover, you may have less success. I hope that info helps.
I have an old Onkyo receiver without any HDMI inputs. VSX-90 is one of the receivers that I am considering. I have heard that ( may not be true) the Pioneer receivers are not user friendly to setup and the GUI is rather dated. How does VSX-90 do in this regard? The product page for VSX-90 says that the setup has been simplified. How easy is it to setup the MCACC calibration?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Also what kind of parameters can you adjust for the 2 subs? I know the are supposed to be 4 bands, can they be tuned individually on each sub?

One other advantages remember from the elites is the use of a USB keyboard. Probably no need for that now. In the product page I noticed the elite can control a roku. I did not notice that info on the 1130 though, wonder if it's built into the mhl port (hdmi cec that is)

Lastly, 1130 shows 100 watts into 7 channels, while the elite shows only into 2. Both use full range if I saw right.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I need a new receiver asap, I am seeing pioneer hit the market sooner than others. I am seriously considering the VSX-90 and VSX-1130-K. So why is the VSX-90 $100 more?

Does it do HDMI out to zone 2 (different source than main)?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Mostly for the colors and better integration to home control systems. Sometimes there are other little features like USB keyboard sorry on the elite etc and 12 v triggers and/or rs232 ports etc.
exact same weight and deminsions between the two... this is a hard $100 upgrade. I might do it for the 2 year warranty for the elite vs the 1 year for the 1130.

Man, my yahama 667 is still under warranty and I got that in 2010.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
well just purchased the elite vsx-90 from best buy.. anyone know if they will take it back after the standard 15 days if necessary... 15 days is very short to evaluate a receiver.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Went ahead and purchased this VSX-1130 k as my old Denon 3312Ci didn't have 4K/HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2... am hoping it sounds as good.

1 - 20 of 645 Posts