AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Sounds Great. naturally I feel a tightness in my chest whenever I hear marketing brag about "edge enhancement" :) but that upset feeling quickly gives way when I read about 3:2/2:2 pulldown for film-based 1080 HD signals :D :D :D

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
The Optoma H76 was supposed to have a Pixelworks deinterlacer. Maybe they are waiting for that Photopia thingy to ship. :D

David, I guess it all depends on the implementation and setup. After all, even the Faroudja FLI2310 can be great (NEC HT1000) or terrible (Samsung HD931).

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaViD Boulet
that upset feeling quickly gives way when I read about 3:2/2:2 pulldown for film-based 1080 HD signals
Did they actually claim to do 1080i deinterlacing and 3:2/2:2 pulldown detection in the same sentence? There are a number of products which deinterlace 1080i and do inverse telecine, just not both together at the same time. The new chips might in fact do all these things, but be careful not to read too much into a press release.

- Dale Adams

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Acutally...they did (separated only by a comma). I'm making the assumption that the 3:2/2:2 pulldown applies to both HD and SD formats since they are mentioned together:

Quote:
DNX(TM) Deinterlacing with LAI technology uses video processing algorithms, including advanced motion-adaptive deinterlacing for both standard television formats and also high definition television formats, automatic film mode detection with 3:2 and 2:2 pull-down, advanced noise reduction and low angle edge detection to virtually eliminate 'jaggies' and other image artifacts.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
The just released Optoma H30 has a Pixelworks deinterlacer. I ran the Galaxy Inro test on it with the DVD player set to interlaced. Performance was perfect, smooth motion with no artifacts. Only the Farouja chipped players handled this correctly.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Great to hear.

Another cool thing is that it seems this scaler chip has got some aspect-ratio ajustment features to help configure video for 16x9 or 4x3 displays. This would be very cool...to have those features (absent on the Faroudja chip) on the chip. It might enable more high-end DVD players to incorporate scaling and aspect-ratio adjustment into their feature set.

-dave

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaViD Boulet
Acutally...they did (separated only by a comma). I'm making the assumption that the 3:2/2:2 pulldown applies to both HD and SD formats since they are mentioned together:
I hope you're right, as it would hopefully prompt others to do something similar for the benefit of all of us. However, (there's always a 'however', isn't there? ;) ) the press release says it does motion-adaptive deinterlacing for HD, not that it does source-type recognition. Now, that could just be inadvertent wording or could be intentionally vague. I've seen enough press releases to know that you can imply an awful lot without actually saying it (or ever delivering it), so . . . who knows? I guess we'll see. . .

- Dale Adams

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by guitarman
I ran the Galaxy Inro test on it with the DVD player set to interlaced. Performance was perfect, smooth motion with no artifacts.
Tom,

What exactly is the "Galaxy Intro" test?

- Dale Adams

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
the press release say only about 3:2 and 2:2 pulldown!

the are not saying about a reverse pulldown.(create from hd 1080i 60hz when film is the source the original 24 frames without the motion judder)

ONLY THE REVERSE GIVE US A NEW PICTURE QUALITY WITHOUT THE MOTION ARTEFACT!

this was many times mix up and most people don't understand it.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Where was it implied that it elimiated judder (producing a 24, 48, or 72 Hz output)?

I was only commenting that it appears that it is able to deinterlace film-based 1080i material using proper 3:2 pulldown (2:2 referes to 50Hz PAL material which doesn't apply to HD) for proper frame reconstruction.

Now...I AGREE with you that what we REALLY need is a chip that can then output a 24-Hz based signal to avoid motion judder. Problem is that very few displays (including most DLP projectors) will sync properly--grrrrrrr.

That's something I've talked about often on this forum and hardly anyone else seems to care. We can talk all day about rainbows and dither but shouldn't we also urg manufacturers and chip designers to give is native-rate film material to rid our HT movies from motion judder associated with the a synchronous 3-2 frame pattern? 24, 48, or 72 Hz would do perfectly. NO JUDDER!!

-dave

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
"What exactly is the "Galaxy Intro" test?"

If you have the DVD, pop it on and the first time you see the Protector fly by most all players will show this as jaggy and jerky. Farouja chipped players will handle it well and it seems the Pixelworks deinterlacer does it well also. My JVC's get destroyed. :)

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Quote:
"What exactly is the "Galaxy Intro" test?"

If you have the DVD, pop it on and the first time you see the Protector fly by most all players will show this as jaggy and jerky. Farouja chipped players will hangle it well and it seems the Pixelworks deinterlacer does it well also. My JVC's get destroyed. :)
Tom,

I'm not sure, but I think part of the problem is that Dale might not know you're referring to the 'Galaxy Quest' DVD. Everyone may not be on a first name basis with this disc. :)

Palladin

No matter where you go, there you are

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
"might not know you're referring to the 'Galaxy Quest' DVD."

What, the greatest DVD of all times. :) Where's Galaxy Quest II?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
dave

yes also 48 or 72 hz do it and most pr. understand this.

but also a lot of new dlps (mercury 3 chip consumer)and other pr. like the qualia understand 24 hz.

for user of crt pr. they need 72 because otherwise it flickers a lot.

i use 24 (23,976) hz hd coming from my computer and feed to my 3 chip dlp via dvi.

the problem was bad edits.every time i have bugs on tape it produce tearing or other artefact's.

faroudja and other company's working on this problem at the moment but it seams (because they delay since long long long very long time) that its not easy.

there is a rumour that dlp pr. generally having less picture problems during a pan because the single mirror have more time to create gray steps when you feed only 24 frames a second.

asap i will test it with my 3 chip.but if its true its a must have option for all dlps.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
dave

yes also 48 or 72 hz do it and most pr. understand this.

but also a lot of new dlps (mercury 3 chip consumer)and other pr. like the qualia understand 24 hz.

for user of crt pr. they need 72 because otherwise it flickers a lot.

i use 24 (23,976) hz hd coming from my computer and feed to my 3 chip dlp via dvi.

the problem was bad edits.every time i have bugs on tape it produce tearing or other artefact's.

faroudja and other company's working on this problem at the moment but it seams (because they delay since long long long very long time) that its not easy.

there is a rumour that dlp pr. generally having less picture problems during a pan because the single mirror have more time to create gray steps when you feed only 24 frames a second.

asap i will test it with my 3 chip.but if its true its a must have option for all dlps.

·
Premium Member
7,222 Posts
Quote:
"might not know you're referring to the 'Galaxy Quest' DVD."

What, the greatest DVD of all times. :) Where's Galaxy Quest II?

The best part about this DVD is that one of the alternate audio tracks is a dub in Thermian. Classic!

TM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.