AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone!

I just moved into a duplex/Apt and currently not sure how to set-up the living room. Currently room is positioned in as example A.

What do you guys/gals think would be the optimum set-up for this room? I'm open to moving the couch around if need be. Will start on maybe a 3.1 system for now and slowly work my way up to a 5.1 or 7.1 if doable.

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
It's a little tough to visualize. What's the height of the fireplace mantle? How much room is above it?
Given the dimensions of the TV, how much space is available for a possible center channel?

Can you give dimensions of the sofa/chaise? Are all seating positions facing the same way, or are any at 90 degrees?
Is it one solid piece, or can the lounging section be placed on the other side?

For setup B, how much space from the back of the sofa/chaise to the fireplace? Is it intended to be used in this configuration?

I just moved into a duplex/Apt and currently not sure how to set-up the living room. Currently room is positioned in as example A.
What do you guys/gals think would be the optimum set-up for this room? I'm open to moving the couch around if need be.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Is that room for your setup or everything else as well?
I'd go with plan B move seating closer like about 8ft-10ft from TV.
Forget mounting above fire place unless the TV bottom is about 3ft from floor; I doubt it.

At about 9ft you'd be pretty good for a 7.1 setup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's a little tough to visualize. What's the height of the fireplace mantle? How much room is above it?
Given the dimensions of the TV, how much space is available for a possible center channel?

Can you give dimensions of the sofa/chaise? Are all seating positions facing the same way, or are any at 90 degrees?
Is it one solid piece, or can the lounging section be placed on the other side?

For setup B, how much space from the back of the sofa/chaise to the fireplace? Is it intended to be used in this configuration?
I made a booboo for setup B. The Chaise can't be removed, it should have been on the opposite side (one too many beers yesterday)

All seating positions are facing the same way.
Reason I have the room setup currently was due to road noise as I live close to a 6 lane highway. Figured keep the couch away from the street.

The chaise is a tad over 5 feet in length. Across is a bit over 7 ft

I have no plan to use the fireplace.

Is that room for your setup or everything else as well?
I'd go with plan B move seating closer like about 8ft-10ft from TV.
Forget mounting above fire place unless the TV bottom is about 3ft from floor; I doubt it.

At about 9ft you'd be pretty good for a 7.1 setup.
I cannot stand mounted tv's over fireplaces..yuck.
Coffee table and tv stand are en-route, stand is roughly 26 inches tall.

9ft sounds good to me!

Attached a couple more pictures of the current living situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
All helpful! Especially the non-use of the fireplace.
IMHO, use the 16 foot wall for the display.
Align the back of the sofa/chaise to clear the pathway from front door to door on left of drawing.
Align the right side of the sofa/chaise to clear the area behind the seating position of the desk area.
Subwoofer can go in either "front" corner on 16 foot wall
Surrounds can go between door and fireplace above light switch and matching spot on opposite wall.
Rear surrounds (if used) can go on "rear" wall, possibly above door frame height if collisions present a real concern.

If it doesn't have it already, you could get extra-insulating trim for the exterior door. Used mostly for energy conservation, it also blocks noise.
You could make "mock" windows to squeeze-fit over the real windows. Again, energy efficiency, but blocks noise.

Reason I have the room setup currently was due to road noise as I live close to a 6 lane highway. Figured keep the couch away from the street.
The chaise is a tad over 5 feet in length. Across is a bit over 7 ft
I have no plan to use the fireplace.
I cannot stand mounted tv's over fireplaces..yuck.
Attached a couple more pictures of the current living situation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All helpful! Especially the non-use of the fireplace.
IMHO, use the 16 foot wall for the display.
Align the back of the sofa/chaise to clear the pathway from front door to door on left of drawing.
Align the right side of the sofa/chaise to clear the area behind the seating position of the desk area.
Subwoofer can go in either "front" corner on 16 foot wall
Surrounds can go between door and fireplace above light switch and matching spot on opposite wall.
Rear surrounds (if used) can go on "rear" wall, possibly above door frame height if collisions present a real concern.

If it doesn't have it already, you could get extra-insulating trim for the exterior door. Used mostly for energy conservation, it also blocks noise.
You could make "mock" windows to squeeze-fit over the real windows. Again, energy efficiency, but blocks noise.
Wow! Thank you! Funny you mentioned this set-up as my bestie originally mentioned something similar but I blew her off lol. Now it all makes sense. Seriously, thank you!

Appreciate everyone's input as well. :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
With the pictures, it looks like the optimal choice. The sectional can "define" the area, and should leave room for extra seating and other furniture.
Even though you'll never use the fireplace, it still has aesthetic value which would be lost, and possibly even negative if the sofa/chaise is right up against it.

The wall opposite the fireplace looks like a decent candidate, but separation for the front L/R speakers and the sub becomes an issue.
You could put the sub at the rear by the window, but without silencing the exterior wall, you're back to road noise.
Also, you'd have to shift seating and viewing to the left, so surround placement becomes a challenge as the left side and possibly rears are on top of viewers.

If you use the fireplace area as the viewing side, it's a little better, but placing speakers and mounting them and the TV becomes a challenge, and the viewing area is still shifted to the side causing issues with surrounds again.
The loss of the fireplace for aesthetics is back again as well.

I hope it works out. Enjoy!

Wow! Thank you! Funny you mentioned this set-up as my bestie originally mentioned something similar but I blew her off lol. Now it all makes sense. Seriously, thank you!

Appreciate everyone's input as well. :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Unfortunately, you must now suffer a "Why couldn't you hear it when I said it?!" from her. Take it with humility. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts