AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey A/V enthusiasts!

I have been reading for a while and have came across mountains of great recommendations and advice. However, I think I may need more specific help.

I used to not care really about speaker size when I was single. Now I am married and have a son. What I (we) are looking for is something small, like Bose, but something other than Bose.

I want 5.1 and something that will be good for both music and movies. I will probably be watching more movies than anything else, but my wife may want music at times. For my budget, I would like to stay under $1K if I can. My room dimensions are as follows: 24'L x 13'W x 9'H

While I do like the approach Bose takes with their size, I (like many of you) am not impressed with their sound. I like my stuff not necessarily super loud and overpowering, but I do like healthy volume levels and great clarity. I really do like a good amount of bass as well.

Thanks to everyone in advance!!

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Does the 1K budget include the receiver? Either way, it sounds like Orb Audio is are the speakers for you. They are highly regarded satellites, and I am sure they would blow away any Bose system. I have not heard them myself but I have heard good things about them. Do a search for them on this forum.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creatvemischif /forum/post/16959303

I want 5.1 and something that will be good for both music and movies. I will probably be watching more movies than anything else, but my wife may want music at times. For my budget, I would like to stay under $1K if I can. My room dimensions are as follows: 24'L x 13'W x 9'H

Small, cheap, and dynamic are a tough combo -- especially if you're going to use the whole length of that room. You basically have to pick two, though $1000 is a better budget than most who make this request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/16961473

Either way, it sounds like Orb Audio is are the speakers for you.

No they aren't. They're both expensive and drop off quickly from about 200hz. The lack of any midbass is almost Bose-like.

I would spend about half of the $1000 on a good subwoofer and the other half on five of these . (Or four plus the center .)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 /forum/post/16961691

Small, cheap, and dynamic are a tough combo -- especially if you're going to use the whole length of that room. You basically have to pick two, though $1000 is a better budget than most who make this request.

No they aren't. They're both expensive and drop off quickly from about 200hz. The lack of any midbass is almost Bose-like.

I would spend about half of the $1000 on a good subwoofer and the other half on five of these . (Or four plus the center .)

I agree. These have some umph while still using the sub for low stuff. They are at a great price and the colour is very nice. When on the site it suggested 4 RC minis plus the matching center and 8inch sub for $700
If you wanted you could upgrade the sub to something a bit better but can't go wrong with this set up and price. BTW Check out the energy thread with many happy oweners who paid full price for these so it is not just a good speaker because they are on sale.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey everyone.

This weekend I actually had a chance to pick up the Klipsch Quintet III's on clearance at Best buy. They weren't that much more than the Vann's deal I saw late last week. I was very impressed by the sound even though I only had 3 out of the 5 hooked up(no rears yet). I started looking at either these or the Energy Take Classic's. I really do like having the seperate woofer/tweeter combo. Nothing beats it, other than maybe towers.

@ShadyJ:

I never heard Orb either, but have heard good things. However, with the auditioning of the Klipsch's this weekend, I think I'm sold.

@s44 & CalgaryCowboy

I was looking at the Energy's, however my wife and I both like the look and sound of these Klipsch's. I wasn't going to use the ENTIRE room, just section off the listening area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.