AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i'm a few months off from buying a new tv, and have pretty much decided on plasma. I've always like plasmas but was always more of an LCD guy, because i work in IT and LCD's are more common than plasma. Also, because i thought plasmas were too expensive and i was always afraid of burn-in because i play games. Now the game has completely changed, LCD is practically non-exsistent (except computer monitors still), and plasmas are cheaper than LED. Plus all the features that matter are better on plasmas. I know LED is actually LCD but just humor me. This is my one last outcry before i become a plasma fanboy. My concern is still with the things i mentioned above, i just want to be assured i have nothing to worry about. Can i hook my plasma up to my computer and it will work as well. I don't have to worry about burn-in? The plasma will last as long? Please welcome me with open arms. Thank you.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaket81 /forum/post/20866945

Hello all, i'm a few months off from buying a new tv, and have pretty much decided on plasma. I've always like plasmas but was always more of an LCD guy, because i work in IT and LCD's are more common than plasma. Also, because i thought plasmas were too expensive and i was always afraid of burn-in because i play games. Now the game has completely changed, LCD is practically non-exsistent (except computer monitors still), and plasmas are cheaper than LED. Plus all the features that matter are better on plasmas. I know LED is actually LCD but just humor me. This is my one last outcry before i become a plasma fanboy. My concern is still with the things i mentioned above, i just want to be assured i have nothing to worry about. Can i hook my plasma up to my computer and it will work as well. I don't have to worry about burn-in? The plasma will last as long? Please welcome me with open arms. Thank you.

I play games alot on my plasma, and I sometimes leave it on the same scene for a long time. For example, a game with a HUD and I'll just remain idle while I'm away and no IR or burn in whatsoever.

I also have paused movies for a long time and no issues.

I really think from my experience, you have to go out of your way to get IR and burn in.

But for using as a computer monitor, I'm not so sure. The tv I have has IR / Burn in preventative measures though.

So basically for gaming it'll be fine, but for PC use, with static icons in one place all the time on your desktop, I'm not so sure.

hope that helps

P.S.

I had the top of the line samsung LED from last year and they were good, but plasmas just trump lcd/leds =]

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply ag, i'll take your word for it with games and burn in. I never leave pasued screens up long, if at all, and i never leave my computer on either, when i'm done using it i shut it off, along with the tv unless i'm going to switch it to another device. I just wanted to make sure you couldn't get burn in even if you didn't leave images up. For the computer i wasn't worried about burn in, just concerned whether it could function as a computer monitor as an LCD would (games, windows resolution, etc.). Thanks again for the reply, it sounds like i'm home free for burn-in, if it's hard even for people that leave images up, it's a piece of cake for me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Burn in is not an issue in any normal scenario.

If you use a plasma as a computer monitor, make sure the picture changes semi often. You can set a black screensaver to occur after a short time to prevent any burn in.

IMO Plasma is far superior to LCD.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
While plasmas can be used as computer monitors, they're really not ideal. For example, Panasonic's plasmas only display a 720p resolution through VGA.

Burn in concerns are real, but they vary from model to model, and even set to set. Some will resist burn in very well, while others can develop it more easily than you'd think.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a cheaper 60" LG plasma (PK550, last year's model). I've had this since February, and have had no burn-in issues despite playing lots of games with HUDs, scoreboards, etc…. If I'm going to be leaving my game paused for a while (like 5+ minutes), I generally turn my TV off just out of habit to save power. Even when I've forgotten to do this, I haven't had any burn-in.

I have not used my TV as a computer monitor, so I can't comment on that.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The two issues that drove me away from Plasmas for gaming was the available usable light output. (when I say usable I mean how bright the set can become before it starts to have performance problems).

The second is the use of spacial dithering to create and smooth gradations in dark detail areas. If you like to get up close when gaming, this could take smooth clean graphics and polute them a bit.

However, plasmas do offer some huge benefits that do matter when gaming, such as more precise timing due to minimum input lag, and hard to beat motion handling.

My last plasma was a 2009 set, and I have setup a few newer models, and these issues have improved, somewhat.

Even though I now use a Samsung LED driven LCD for gaming, I am no fanboy, and can still attest to the lack of burn-in or image retention with the PANASONIC brand plasmas, as I have gamed on them for countless hours through the years, and they all have a clean bill of health in the IR department!
They have been sold second hand in immaculate condition to some lucky buyers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.