AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just purchased a 46 " plasma. This panasonic plasma weighs in at around 55 lbs or so. My question is i live in an older home and i noticed they have used 1 x 4 for the interior walls along with drywall. My question is will this hold a 55 lbs tv without it crashing down. cutting open the walls is not an option. I was hoping these 1 x 4 would be enough .Maybe i could mount a plywood piece on outside to distribute the weight and the mount bracket to that.any suggestions..thanks for help

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon32 /forum/post/19591907

Hi guys,

I just purchased a 46 " plasma. This panasonic plasma weighs in at around 55 lbs or so. My question is i live in an older home and i noticed they have used 1 x 4 for the interior walls along with drywall. My question is will this hold a 55 lbs tv without it crashing down. cutting open the walls is not an option. I was hoping these 1 x 4 would be enough .Maybe i could mount a plywood piece on outside to distribute the weight and the mount bracket to that.any suggestions..thanks for help

Contact a licensed certified carpenter like one who has worked on home theaters and ask him, it's simple.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
.. recently mounted (Peerless swivel) my parents 32" Sony LCD (approx. 32lbs); this mount's base worked off single stud (two screws; top/bottom). Discovered in accessing overhang their house had 1x4 studs also. Before hanging TV, I ran a 1x4 on backside (in overhang) just above mount (inside) to hopefully distribute weight. Another consideration was to go to Home Depot & pick-up some straps (possibly hurricane) and/or metal joints supports that nail/screw in-place to help support the TV's weight.

not a structual architect, so just speculative offering; may work well if weight is properly distributed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.