AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the thing to remeber is that this unit is designed as a good alternative to Plasma.

The 450 lumens in my opinion is a good sign not a bad one. Despite the fact that they didn't mention the lack of a clear section. I would go ahead and bank on it being gone from the product. 450 lumens ain't bad with that in mind.

I would say that the product market for this guy is more along the lines of a Plasma alternative rather than a reference HD projector. If DVD suits you fine than I believe this projector will be straight up your alley. Keeping a 2:1 seating distance to screen width ratio will yield a great image with this projector. I think they will sell well at a street of price of say $4000 but I don't know how they plan to retail it and the high end stores might try to sell it for much more.

The 720p chip is still along way off and will be expensive. It is what I am waiting for but I don't think I will get one until Christmas 2002.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't see where this machine is better overall for home theater than say the LP350.

Brightness: LP350 is brighter (even in video mode)

Resolution: LP350 is 576X1024 in 16:9 mode

Scaler: LP350 will be tough to beat

Ease of use: LP350 is plug and play

Size: Plus is smaller

Noise: Plus may be quieter

It may beat the 350 in contrast/blacks (probably) and color (maybe), but it still won't beat it hands down in every category. Add to the fact that the Sony 10HT will be available for near $4k soon, and I don't see how this projector is a great value at $4000.

Again, I could be wrong, and maybe it will get marketed to the right kind of people (those who don't know any better) that they could get $4K for it.

Of course, speculation on a projector that doesn't yet exist is pretty pointless. At least you can't prove me wrong yet http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif Maybe we'll know more after Infocomm.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I hope to see it tomorrow.

Reading the press release, it seems to me that this is intended to be a convenience machine for HT use. They emphasize how portable it is.

The machine does not have a clear section and has a reported 600:1 contrast ratio so 450 lumens is perhaps a good thing as MrWiggles says.

The important thing is that the press release recognized the importance of the HT market and plays to it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hmm, if I upgraded from my crt to a digital (due to a lack of space, both floor and low ceilings) my primary concerns would be color accuracy and black level, not brightness and resolution. Such a projector as this would seem to fit the bill, with a greater contrast ratio than lumen output and probably no clear section on the color wheel. I have researched the LP350, and it's just not for me, so I do know better, but might still buy this projector. I do think that 4k would be a little high for this machine (less than 3K would be ideal).

------------------

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Meva,

$4K is speculation on my part. Could you tell me where you got your pricing from?

I am going to a special Plus dinner at Infocomm where they will be demo'ing the unit. Pricing will be the first question that I ask.

Like I said before pricing will be totally dependent on how it is sold. I can guarantee that if it is sold in a high end HT showroom it will go for more than $4K.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, this is OK news, but it certainly isn't the HT holy grail, not even for low budget theaters. It is only 450 lumens and 848X480. On the bright side (no pun intended), it is 16:9 and has a 240 Hz color wheel.

I would say that it needs to be priced somewhere near $2500 to be even considered. I didn't see any mention of pricing.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.