AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just picked up a new pn42b450 last week and I'm seeing some things that are bothering and would like some feedback on. Any help would be appreciated.

First, whenever bold black writing is displayed on a white background it seems to cast a shadow horizontally across the whole screen.

second, I've noticed that on a white screen there is a faint vertical capsule like shape in the dead center of the screen. It is about the size of a Bic lighter or a tube of Chapstick. It looks like IR but it has been there since I took it out of the box.

And lastly, last night I was watching Public Enemy and everything was so dark it was hard to see. I figured it was just a dark movie but the dark had no detail as I've been told is the great thing about plasmas. After the movie we watched Criminal Minds on A&E and it was the same way.

I've adjusted my setting to where I see fit. They are as follows:

Mode: Movie

Cell - 10

Contrast: 90

Brightness: 50

Everything else is factory set and all dynamic settings are turned off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll also add that I am pretty disappointed in the great degree of IR this display suffers from. Even short gaming sessions less than 30min will cause clear IR on a white screen that doesn't easily go away.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The horizontal bleed is a symptom of plasma technology, but it should be barely noticeable most of the time.

The IR should become less of an issue over time as the phosphors age. If there is a Game Mode I suggest using it, and having separate settings for Game Mode with lower contrast and brightness.

What other movies besides Public Enemies have you tested? Check to make sure your player is sending YPbPr/YCbCr.

Also I would double check that "Black Level" is set to "Off" in the picture settings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply

The bleed is only noticeable with bold black letters on a white background so it really isn't much of an issue.

Apparently there is a game mode built into this TV but I'm not sure how to enable it. When I go to the area of the menu that shows 'game mode' it is not selectable. If anybody knows how to enable this I would appreciate it -- pn42b450

I have all black level and dynamic contrast options set to "off"

I have a couple blu-rays coming my way (V for Vendetta and The Departed) so I'll take a look at those and see how the blacks look.

Again thanks for your help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What player are you using and what are its output settings?

Also what gamma setting are you using?

Also to clarify I only meant to use Game Mode when playing games. It should reduce the input lag, and it should store its own settings which you can tone down to reduce IR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm watching blu-rays through my PS3 over HDMI. I have "YPbPr/YCbCr. super white" enabled as well as "RGB Full Range"

Gamma is set to "0"

I'll have to go home tonight and play with it some more to see about enabling "game mode" . I was just scrolling through the manual and the only limitations it mentioned were that Game Mode cannot be enabled while in PC mode or when watching TV so maybe I wasn't displaying my console when I was in the menu.

This is what the manual says about game mode:

"Game Mode → Off / On

When connecting to a game console such as PlayStationTM or XboxTM, you can enjoy a more realistic gaming experience by selecting the game menu."

"When the Game Mode is On:

-Picture mode is automatically changed to Standard and cannot be changed.

-Sound mode is automatically changed to Custom and cannot be changed.

Adjust the sound using the equalizer.

-The Reset in the Sound menu is activated. Reset function initializes the Equalizer settings to the factory default setting."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.