AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will be my third theater in as many houses but my only true "blank slate" build. Built a new house in March on 5 acres and a 30x40x12 pole barn in June that is 10 feet away from a 12x16 sunroom that I added to the house. The sunroom exterior is finished but I'm still working on the interior. Once that is finished I can move onto converting the pole barn to "Celestial Cinema". We picked the name because now that we are in the country light pollution is far less than the city and we can actually see the Milkyway. We will most likely put in a small star ceiling in the hallway leading to the theater.

My last theater was in a basement and I went all out on soundproofing. Built a true room within a room (including separate rafters for the ceiling) with 3 layers of TypeX sheetrock on both sides. Used 55 gallons of green glue. This build will utilize green glue and room within a room but at this point I don't think I'll be doing a separate ceiling rafter system.

I'm uploading my proposed layout and would appreciate any comments and alternatives for the layout and the soundproofing plan. The pole barn is built but the theater has not been framed out yet with the exception of the bathroom so please feel free to make any suggestions. Ignore the seat and sub box locations. The program I use isn't very friendly so those graphics are wrong. The boxes they are framed out in are to scale. I'm attaching a picture of the pole barn before the partion walls are added for those of you who don't know what a pole barn is.

Design goals are to have a relatively clutter free design. No fancy trim, columns etc. as once the "wow" factor is over, I find that stuff to be distracting. I would like to hide all speakers (Atmos 9.2.4) and plan on ending up with 2 rows of 4 seats (114" per row) with a bar top in back.

Here's some general info:

-After 12" side wall/18" back wall treatments and 20" behind screen, shooting for 17.5' x 24'8" usable space with ~11.5' ceiling
-Thinking about Constant Area (CA 2:1) screen since I am not height or width limited
-Double Wall with DD/GG on one side and single drywall on non-theater wall per Ted White. Remember this is not a basement build
-Ceiling to be clips and channel with 2 (or should I go 3?) layers of drywall and GG

-DIYSG TitanLX for LCR and Volt 10 ported for surround and Atmos channels
-Four DIY subs (2 front and 2 back)
-Gonna experiment with 4 PA480 nearfield subs and MiniDSP (2 at front of riser into front row and 2 under bar toward back row)
-Pole barn will have partition walls installed inbetween all "poles" and fully insulated and drywalled (~8" thick wall) so it won't look like a barn
-Dedicated 2 zone HVAC or minisplit(s)

Guess that's enough for now, but please feel free once again to suggest different layouts and tell me what you think about my plan to install clips and channel on ceiling, not a truly isolated structure like the rest of the theater. My biggest concern is that the pole barn is basically just a "stick structure" with a thin piece of sheetmetal for a skin and once sound gets past the double layer of drywall/greenglue there is really nothing else to stop it.

You will notice the equipment closet and sound lock area have an additional wall since I only am planning on one door exiting theater and one exiting soundlock. But this may be a triple leaf as the inside wall of the pole barn will be drywalled as I mentioned. If I don't drywall the pole barn wall than there would only be one true leaf (soundlock and equipment closet space) since the outside of the pole barn is just sheet metal. The pole barn wall will be about 8" thick once I get the partion walls up but like I said, only one layer of drywall on the inside and sheet metal on outside.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how this works out, I'm currently in the basement but can't turn on all the subs when others are home upstairs. To be detached from the house would be ideal.

May I ask how much the pole barn cost to build?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking forward to seeing how this works out, I'm currently in the basement but can't turn on all the subs when others are home upstairs. To be detached from the house would be ideal.

May I ask how much the pole barn cost to build?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
It came in just under 30k with 4 inch concrete and a separate 12x16 slab with footers for the sunroom I'm adding on to house and another 8x10 pad to connect the pole barn to sunroom. I plan on building a covered walkway between the two. The pole barn entrance is a little higher than ground level because I wanted the sunroom, walkway and pole barn all to be level with the house slab so i had about 3k in grave charges but it was worth it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's my latest layout revision. If all goes well, my sunroom house addition and pole barn will receive "final" approval tomorrow and then I can get a lumber order together and start framing this puppy out!

If you see anything that you would improve on, please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
It seems odd to need to walk down a hall to get in and out. My personal preference would be to claim that space for the theater and flip the room. Make communicating doors rather than a separate entry space. It just looks too claustrophobic.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems odd to need to walk down a hall to get in and out. My personal preference would be to claim that space for the theater and flip the room. Make communicating doors rather than a separate entry space. It just looks too claustrophobic.
Thanks for the feedback but most commercial theaters that I have been to have a walkway that leads you to your not so private viewing room. I enjoy that walk looking at the movie posters. I plan on putting several virtual movie posters in this area as well as any theater themed decor. I originally wanted two walkways on both sides of the theater but ruled that out quickly. I will admit that I envisioned this aisleway to be more like 7 or 8 feet wide but by the time I encased the pole barn verticals I lost a foot of width and then of course double walls will take off some more. I may be able to get a few inches more but probably not much more than that.

I did the double communicating doors in my last theater and while it's effective, having the sound lock area is basically a large set of communicating doors that doesn't feel as weird to people not on this forum. ;)

Your plan would also cut into the lobby area which really should be called the lobby/arcade/hangout area. May even throw in a foozball or air hockey table so I'm not willing to cut that space down any more.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's the functions of the lobby?
The double pole barn doors enter into the lobby which really should have been called arcade/hangout/rec area. I'll have several MAME machines and hopefully a virtual pinball machine for the wife and maybe a sitdown driving cabinet....wish I would have kept that one from the last build/house. May throw in a foozball and/or airhockey table. Not sure if popcorn machine will be there or down the hallway to the theater. Probably near the hallway entrance as the hallway will be small enough as it it.

No matter how big a space seems at first, there always seems to be some sort of compromise to deal with...

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Fair enough, sound like you things well thought out. I'll be looking forward to watching this come together. Your lobby idea is something I'd like to incorporate in my next space as well. The pool barn shell sounds like it make the ideal canvas.

You've probably already thought of this as well, but maybe one other word of caution as I think about it. With the air lock room, getting large things into the theater space will be challenging. There won't be a lot of room to maneuver very long things or very tall things without having to turn the item straight up towards the ceiling. Carpet, the granite counter, wall board, will all be challenging to make that turn.

Good luck, this will be fun to watch.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fair enough, sound like you things well thought out. I'll be looking forward to watching this come together. Your lobby idea is something I'd like to incorporate in my next space as well. The pool barn shell sounds like it make the ideal canvas.
Don't give me too much credit, I'm sure I'll miss something and make mistakes...hopefully nothing that isn't fixable. And yes, I'm excited about this build as it's a clean slate. Wishing I would have made the slate a little larger but I think we could always use more space. :D

You've probably already thought of this as well, but maybe one other word of caution as I think about it. With the air lock room, getting large things into the theater space will be challenging. There won't be a lot of room to maneuver very long things or very tall things without having to turn the item straight up towards the ceiling. Carpet, the granite counter, wall board, will all be challenging to make that turn.
I thought of it mostly for the screen frame but to be honest, wasn't even thinking about the counter top. I am now, thanks!

Good luck, this will be fun to watch.
I appreciate it! I got my CO for the sunroom addition as well as the pole barn as a "barn/shed". $5k of lumber arrives Monday and then the madness begins! :D

·
Registered
516 Posts
This is a great idea

Wide open spaces in which to build what you want. Can't wait to see it come together. As for the entry/lobby area - I too very much enjoy the walk into the theater in commercial cinemas. It sets the mood for me and really gets me into losing myself in the experience. I always thought if I someday had the funds I would have a separate building and would want a nice long entry area just like a commercial theater - would love to have a setup like Dolby does with the curved video wall - as soon as I become a billionaire I'm doing it...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wide open spaces in which to build what you want. Can't wait to see it come together. As for the entry/lobby area - I too very much enjoy the walk into the theater in commercial cinemas. It sets the mood for me and really gets me into losing myself in the experience. I always thought if I someday had the funds I would have a separate building and would want a nice long entry area just like a commercial theater - would love to have a setup like Dolby does with the curved video wall - as soon as I become a billionaire I'm doing it...
Yes, I am excited to have my own space to work with even though I come to the conclusion no matter how big the space, one will always want more. Lol

I have been framing and have a good portion of that finished with the rafters for the lower ceilings outside the room nearly done. I can post pics....just to prove it happened....but it's not much to look at.

Got my first HVAC quote and it was stupid high. 2nd HVAC guy comes today to quote the job. If the bids don't come down from the stratosphere, it looks like I will be doing diy minisplits. We shall see...

Tom

Oh, I squeaked out about a 5 foot wide finished space for the hallway running to the theater and the movie posters (50 inch vertical tvs) will be recessed in the wall so it will be a true 5 feet of clearance. Not the 8 foot wide I would have liked but it's not really bad.

·
Registered
133 Posts
But this may be a triple leaf as the inside wall of the pole barn will be drywalled as I mentioned. If I don't drywall the pole barn wall than there would only be one true leaf (soundlock and equipment closet space) since the outside of the pole barn is just sheet metal. The pole barn wall will be about 8" thick once I get the partion walls up but like I said, only one layer of drywall on the inside and sheet metal on outside.
Tom
Hello Tom

My shed conversion is similar to yours ,instead of timber post mine's steel perlins.I'll be framing out between the perlins and was thinking of putting 1 layer of fire sheild dry wall on one side and 2 layers on the other side to add stiffness to the steel studs .

Giving the outer wall cladding is colourbond/steel sheet would the single layer of dry wall cause a triple leaf .

Would be great if someone could give both us a answer .

Looking forward see your build come along :cool:

Cheers
Mal

Reactions: tweaek

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Tom

My shed conversion is similar to yours ,instead of timber post mine's steel perlins.I'll be framing out between the perlins and was thinking of putting 1 layer of fire sheild dry wall on one side and 2 layers on the other side to add stiffness to the steel studs .

Giving the outer wall cladding is colourbond/steel sheet would the single layer of dry wall cause a triple leaf .

Cheers
Mal
Hello Tom

Cheers
Mal
I went back and forth on this but in the end decided that the thin sheet steel is close to being massless making what you described as NOT a triple leaf. I may be wrong but I am treating the sheet metal and roof as if it wasn't there at all. Extending this concept further before I hang channel for my ceiling I'm gonna put a layer of fire code rock on the underside of the trusses and then drop the ceiling the height of a 2x4 and then hang 2 layers of fire code from the channel.....unless someone tells me this is not the best way....

Good luck on your build and do you have a build thread?

Tom

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not really much to show but all room walls and sub ceilings are framed out. Started insulating outside pole barn walls as well as theater interior walls (resonance control) and first layer of drywall in theater including the 12 foot ceiling.

Oh and I have almost burned through 2000 feet of 20a romex. Now some of it was for my 16x24 shed and 12x16 sunroom I built but most of it is for the theater and if you look at my AV closet picture below you will be able to see where a lot of it went. To the AV closet alone I ran three 240v circuits for the emotiva amps, three 120v circuits for the inuke 6000 sub amps (overkill) as well as two more 120v circuits for pj and processor. Also three 120v circuits for theater lights and outlets. Hopefully that will over it!

I've slowed down a little as I wait for the HVAC guys to finish. Decided to go with a 2 zone oversized duct system to supply less than 250 feet of air to keep it quiet. Low ambient controls as well as fresh air control and I will have six 2 foot registers in theater.

Once they are finished I can finish ceiling rock in rest of pole barn so I can blow attic insulation.

Taking a well deserved break next week to go skiing!

Tom

·
Registered
516 Posts
Awesome. You can really see and appreciate the 12 foot ceilings in these pics. This room is going to be great when it's done. Any thoughts on your processor yet? With the Emotivas the Titans will really sing. And format? 7.1.4? 9.1.6?

Edit: I see in the first post - 9.2.4. So are we talking Emotiva RMC-1?

1 - 20 of 178 Posts