AVS Forum banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Ok Duane is calling me out so I guess I have to divulge my 2nd upgrade BEFORE the theater is even finished, the first being a projector upgrade:

These arrived from Ohio yesterday and delivered by the lazy UPS driver who can't find the front covered porch on the FRONT of our house LOL:

new subs.jpg

new subs 2.jpg

Anyone care to guess the model of these treated paper beauties? DUANE be quiet for a moment! 😉

These are to replace the 4 UM18-22's that are in a full martyesque slim boxes designed by @LTD02 and tuned to roughly 10Hz. They have a raw volume of about 20 cubes each and 2 each are on the front and rear walls at the quarter points . Not looking forward to re-cutting the holes but Duane promises it will be worth while. He thinks I do everything he says....if I did....I would be adding these AND keeping the UM-18's. Now who would do such a crazy thing?:eek:o_O

Oh and guess who will be crawling around in his small pole barn attic running a 30A 240V line to power a FP22000Q clone amp that is on a fast boat from China as we speak? Just call me Alice now...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Oh and that first picture with the stack of boxes outside is in front of the main outside breaker box where I had the install 400A service....200A to the house and 200A to the pole barn. Kinda glad I did now as the pole barn which IS the theater has a nearly full 200A breaker box...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ok Duane is calling me out so I guess I have to divulge my 2nd upgrade BEFORE the theater is even finished, the first being a projector upgrade:

These arrived from Ohio yesterday and delivered by the lazy UPS driver who can't find the front covered porch on the FRONT of our house LOL:

View attachment 3044032
View attachment 3044031

Anyone care to guess the model of these treated paper beauties? DUANE be quiet for a moment!

These are to replace the 4 UM18-22's that are in a full martyesque slim boxes designed by @LTD02 and tuned to roughly 10Hz. They have a raw volume of about 20 cubes each and 2 each are on the front and rear walls at the quarter points . Not looking forward to re-cutting the holes but Duane promises it will be worth while. He thinks I do everything he says....if I did....I would be adding these AND keeping the UM-18's. Now who would do such a crazy thing?:eek:o_O

Oh and guess who will be crawling around in his small pole barn attic running a 30A 240V line to power a FP22000Q clone amp that is on a fast boat from China as we speak? Just call me Alice now...
Okay here is how the conversation went:
Tom: I am missing midbass
Me (Duane): buy 21s
Tom: okay.

That’s it nothing else no convincing, no battling back and forth, no what will my wife say, no will they be better than the UMs.....non of that that just “okay”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Okay here is how the conversation went:
Tom: I am missing midbass
Me (Duane): buy 21s
Tom: okay.

That’s it nothing else no convincing, no battling back and forth, no what will my wife say, no will they be better than the UMs.....non of that that just “okay”

Not true. I thought about it for 24 hours and ran it by my bass liking wife so ha!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Oh and that first picture with the stack of boxes outside is in front of the main outside breaker box where I had the install 400A service....200A to the house and 200A to the pole barn. Kinda glad I did now as the pole barn which IS the theater has a nearly full 200A breaker box...
As someone who had to upgrade to 400 amp service, that's the first thing I noticed in your picture behind those boxes.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
As someone who had to upgrade to 400 amp service, that's the first thing I noticed in your picture behind those boxes.
I don't envy you having to upgrade. I'm sure that was a PITA. I figured since we were building a new house and since our main panel is 225 feet from the pole it would be cheaper to just bite the bullet and only trench once...and Duane @Mahuzz13 ....doesn't think I plan ahead. Lol

I never installed a mains panel before but it was actually kind of fun although I did pay the electrician to install the extra 200A breaker on the house panel since everything was live and couldn't be shut off without contacting the power company. I'm much more comfortable installing a panel knowing the grid has been disconnected.

Do you have 400A service specifically for this hobby of ours?

·
Registered
318 Posts
The electrician recommended we upgrade from 200 amps because our existing panel was full. My theater is in a 2 story addition and we have plans to add a pool. I do have 3 20 amp circuits at my rack and the subpanel is right next to it if I ever need to run more (probably won't).

The work (which my electrician did) wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They didn't have to dig up the main line from the transformer. I don't even know if they had to replace it. If they did, they pulled it through the conduit.

It's something I wish had been done when we built - 400 amp with a subpanel. As it is now with a full main panel the garage is on one circuit including the lighting! I could do with a few more circuits.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Sounds like you did ok!

It's a first world problem I guess but who would have thought a panel could fill up so quickly. I'm glad I bought a decent sized panel for the pole barn. I have 3 240v circuits and 7 120v circuits just for the theater/rack. Never thought i would be running a 30A 240v for an amp!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Screen time!

I am going with a 2:1 CA (Constant Area) screen instead of a CIH (2.40:1) or standard boring 16:9 screen. I most likely would have made a wooden screen and made some removable masks but once I saw what @sor and @MinHeadroom were doing with motorized masking systems and aluminum extrusion screen frames I HAD to go down that rabbit hole.

Since I am doing the CA thing I need a 4 motor setup instead of the more traditional 2 motor setup. I don't have all the details worked out yet but it's slowly falling in to place.
Hey Tom,

What Somfy motors did you end up using as the link that Sor provided shows them not available and I am trying to figure out the differences when I search for these motors. Will these work or is there a cheaper alternative?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Hey Tom,

What Somfy motors did you end up using as the link that Sor provided shows them not available and I am trying to figure out the differences when I search for these motors. Will these work or is there a cheaper alternative?
Those are the exact same motors I ordered from AVOutlet. I ordered 2 with no troubles and then a month or so later I tried to order them again and the link didn't work. I contacted Ken and he said Somfy changed their policy and would not sell directly to end users anymore but I was able to order them from him since I had a previous history with him. I don't blame Ken at all because I'm sure he doesn't like turning away sales. I really don't like companies that restrict sales to end users so shame on you Somfy.

Do you have a source for all the drive options or are you going to order them from AVOutlet or the other Florida company that @sor listed?

I'm still waiting for my replacement motor. Somfy approved the replacement but instead of sending it to Ken they credited HIS account. Ken apologized profusely and he has been good to work with and just today Somfy agreed to just drop ship the new motor to me. So hopefully soon I can get them and continue working on the screen....wait...before Duane @Mahuzz13 says anything....yes I need to rip out the UM-18 subs behind the screen and recut the boxes for the Lavoce 21 inchers....Hopefully this weekend!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Those are the exact same motors I ordered from AVOutlet. I ordered 2 with no troubles and then a month or so later I tried to order them again and the link didn't work. I contacted Ken and he said Somfy changed their policy and would not sell directly to end users anymore but I was able to order them from him since I had a previous history with him. I don't blame Ken at all because I'm sure he doesn't like turning away sales. I really don't like companies that restrict sales to end users so shame on you Somfy.

Do you have a source for all the drive options or are you going to order them from AVOutlet or the other Florida company that @sor listed?

I'm still waiting for my replacement motor. Somfy approved the replacement but instead of sending it to Ken they credited HIS account. Ken apologized profusely and he has been good to work with and just today Somfy agreed to just drop ship the new motor to me. So hopefully soon I can get them and continue working on the screen....wait...before Duane @Mahuzz13 says anything....yes I need to rip out the UM-18 subs behind the screen and recut the boxes for the Lavoce 21 inchers....Hopefully this weekend!
Alright I won’t say anything

·
Registered
774 Posts

NOOO!

They still seem to be available at the moment via Somfy LS40 Sonesse Motors | Florida Automated Shade

If the story is that they don’t want to sell to end users, does that mean they only want them as components built into retail products, or just that AVOutlet is classified as a distributor rather than a retailer?

TBH I thought the whole point of Somfy was that they were for custom shades. You’d think an end user needs to be involved in making and buying custom shades.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
NOOO!

They still seem to be available at the moment via Somfy LS40 Sonesse Motors | Florida Automated Shade

If the story is that they don’t want to sell to end users, does that mean they only want them as components built into retail products, or just that AVOutlet is classified as a distributor rather than a retailer?

TBH I thought the whole point of Somfy was that they were for custom shades. You’d think an end user needs to be involved in making and buying custom shades.
I wish I had an answer to that question but I'm just relaying what I was told. At the time I purchased, Florida Automated Shade was a bit more expensive than AV Outlet (when you need four motors at least) but not sure if all the accessories you spec'd are available from the Amazon seller so that makes the decision tougher to someone buying them now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wish I had an answer to that question but I'm just relaying what I was told. At the time I purchased, Florida Automated Shade was a bit more expensive than AV Outlet (when you need four motors at least) but not sure if all the accessories you spec'd are available from the Amazon seller so that makes the decision tougher to someone buying them now.
Yeah... I couldn't be sure to get all the other parts for the motors so I went ahead and ordered tonight from Florida Automated Shade as I got worried I would not be able to buy them anymore with the notice that the AV Outlet website put out saying they are not available to end users anymore.

I got all my framing from 80/20 this week...finally...so I wanted to get the motors to have everything ready to assemble. Still need to source the tubes though. I need 12'11" for the two horizontal masks. Might have a source to get that length so maybe I won't have to have them welded, but it is nice to know I have that option.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts