AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are embarking on a new pool build with a patio and I'm trying to plan for the future. We currently have 2 in ceiling speakers (orange dots in image) in our patio running off a sonos connect amp but I think we'll have to turn those up too loud for people in the new pool to hear. As such I'm trying to plan for the future speakers so I can run conduit to the locations. I was thinking about running 1" conduit for the speaker wires (open to recommendations) and 1.5" for the TV locations. I'm looking for feedback and opinions on the best way to plan for this setup and as such I have the following questions (so far).

I have attached images of everything I was thinking below and including my media rack (I know I need to seriously fix the wire managment)

1) Should I plan for volume controls for each speaker or group of speakers? If so any recommendations on where to place it
2) Our exterior walls are concrete block so what is the best way to get a clean look for the TV locations?
3) Should I split the TV and speaker junction boxes or run them in 1?
4) I plan to use the underground conduit into a junction box and then 1 or 2 2" conduits into the attic which will eventually run to our central media hub
5) Any recommendations on how to get TV signal to the patio? We currently have direct tv
6) Any recommendations on how to have the TV signal play through the speakers (for example if we wanted to watch football outside)
7) I like the Sonos setup for it's ease of integration and functionality but are there any other better recommendations to run this?
8) Any feedback on conduit placement?
9) What is the best way to get the coax cable up the block wall for the TV's?

Thank You

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
A lot to unpack here. I can't fully answer all your questions, but perhaps give you something to think about if you haven't already.

The pool installer is going to run electricity to where your pool equipment is and put a secondary panel there. You'll want to install some additional outlets in the backyard that run off this panel. Obviously, you'll want a few in the bar area and where the TVs are going to be placed, but I would also run a couple out in the yard as well. It's going to come in handy in ways you haven't thought of and is rather cheap to do now rather than later. I use mine for the cleaner robot all the time, sometimes to charge phones, or run christmas lights, or perhaps add power to a shed.

For the speakers, you will definitely want to more back there. I personally like having speakers on the other side of the pool so that sound comes in rather than out to the neighbors. As well, you don't want to drown out conversations near the house. Don't know the actual dimensions, but 2 pair of speakers should do it, and you can run that off a single Sonos amp if you want to stick with Sonos...this is what I did. One thing I'm rather happy I did is put a pair of speakers around the hot tub, as that is often the area where people are. Really it's a good idea to put a pair of speakers around each area where you think people will spend the most time, like the bar area perhaps, as well as general pool coverage. I also have a pair of in ceiling patio speakers running off a Sonos amp, again similar to your setup.

The TVs get a little complicated. I don't think you'll have much trouble mounting to the concrete, but not sure how you would get power or source in a clean way. Something to consider is maybe do a ceiling mount from underneath the patio. Not sure how you got the speaker wire in there, but if you can get power and your sources in there, it's going to be a cleaner look. You'll also be able to better protect the TV from elements and heat, as well as cut down on some glare. Most mounts allow you to tilt the TV and turn 360 degrees as needed. I did this recently and was pretty happy with how it turned out. Not exactly sure how that would work for you if you're going with two TVs, if it will take up too much space under the patio.

As far as get audio for the TVs, I think the Sonos amps work pretty well for that. Connect rather easily and easy to control. The downside is if you're using multiple amps, then you might have issues getting TV audio in sync and syncing properly with the video. Some other option might be better for that case. Since you are using 2 TVs though, perhaps something can be done without grouping the 2 Sonos amps, just have 1 each playing TV audio from separate TVs. This is something I need to test out myself.

Also note that the Sonos amps connect by HDMI-ARC or optical, directly from TV without some extra equipment. That could complicate your setup if the amps are located in the attic. You may want to consider an outdoor enclosure for the amp. That would keep you from having to run speaker wires and anything else but a single source wire (ethernet I assume) from the attic. If direct TV allows you to do something wirelessly, then you don't even need that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. Good idea about the additional outlets and perhaps I'll run conduit back into the landscaping to support something in the future light lighting. Obviously the bar will have a couple when it comes time do that one as well.

On the speakers I'm debating do I do like 4 speakers in the rocks and a couple on the house or so I try to put them in the trees. Although the trees aren't mature yet so that might be a problem. We won't have landscaping around the pool other than the trees along the back so I might have to get creative for other spots. Maybe on the fence?

I'm going to talk to my pool electrical contractor to see if they can run conduit or wire up the concrete block wall for coax and ethernet. If this is possible I might add volume controls for the speakers in the wall as well (still torn on if I need speaker volume controls)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Give the amount you are about to spend on the overall project, I would run wire to every conceivable place. It’s nice to have options, and now is the time to wire it for every option.

I know that’s a bit simplistic, but I have never regretted running wire!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts