AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the latest patch from Cyberlink. Ran a disk and I noticed that my input read 192Khz. In the past it was always pegged at 48Khz.

·
Registered
979 Posts
it's true. when i play Ghost of Mae Nak with the DTS-HD 24/96 track and enable bitmatched playback in the auzentech console, it stays at 96 khz and doesn't switch to 48 khz anymore.

·
Registered
957 Posts
hmmmmmm, very interesting. I hook up through multi-analog, so I need to test this tonight.

What are some discs to rent which DEFINITELY have a rate above 48khz? I want to rent one or two and check them out. I thought I would have at least one disc which is above that, but none I have tried so far show above 48. Is the Matrix Trilogy above that? If people could just name off a few, I'll go rent them tonight and try it. Thanks...

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpg /forum/post/12995809

Just installed the latest patch from Cyberlink. Ran a disk and I noticed that my input read 192Khz. In the past it was always pegged at 48Khz.

Interesting! So Cyberlink is now allowed to output the full resolution audio because they disabled the ability to play HD files from the harddisc?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
This is very interesting. I just built a G35 based system and I am sending 7.1 LPCM to my Onkyo 905 at 24/96. I can actually send 24/192, but at the higher frequency, the Onkyo won't do TXH Cinema, it just sends the audio to the speakers without any processing.

I have been playing around with Nero 8 Showtime, since it does not downsample audio. I compared 3:10 to Yuma in PowerDVD 3319a and Showtime, and the difference was very noticeable.

According to this site , 3:10 to Yuma has a PCM 24/96 7.1 soundtrack. Just go to any scene that has bullets flying around. It is pretty amazing.

I will play around with the latest version of PowerDVD tonight and see if it sounds the same as Showtime.

-Dave

·
Registered
2,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 /forum/post/12999220

Thanks for that tip, I'll have to rent 3:10 to Yuma tonight, I want to see that movie anyway.

I have read that PDVD 3730 can play 3:10 to Yuma from the menu. With PDVD 3319a, I had to use TsRemux. With Showtime, I had to play the file from the Streams folder.

If it can play 3:10 to Yuma from the menu, that would be another nice improvement, although the removal of downsampling is more important, IMO.

-Dave

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yeah I read in some other post that 3:10 is fixed on the new version.

If this really works, this is huge. I'm surprised this thread isn't seeing more action.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
3:10 to Yuma is a great test disc.

If you can, listen to one of the shootout scenes with your old version of PowerDVD before you upgrade. Of course, this means that you need to use TsRemux or play the file from the Streams folder. Then upgrade to PDVD 3730. If you get the same kind of result that I got with Nero Showtime, I think you will be very pleased with the difference.

-Dave

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner /forum/post/12999205

According to this site , 3:10 to Yuma has a PCM 24/96 7.1 soundtrack. Just go to any scene that has bullets flying around. It is pretty amazing.

I will play around with the latest version of PowerDVD tonight and see if it sounds the same as Showtime.

-Dave

That site is wrong. The soundtrack is 24/48. The PS3 bit rate meter was displaying around 9.2 Mbps, which makes sense mathematically.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well but even if that site is wrong, 24/48 should still show an improvement over the 16/48 that EVERYTHING has played in PDVD before, correct?

And what titles do we DEFINITELY know have a higher rate than 16/48? It's hard to test something like this when it doesn't say on the case.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner /forum/post/12999205

-Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvista /forum/post/13000533

That site is wrong. The soundtrack is 24/48. The PS3 bit rate meter was displaying around 9.2 Mbps, which makes sense mathematically.

Yeah...

For an 8 ch LPCM track, if it were 96/24 the bitrate would have to be 18,432 kb/s (wow that's huge audio rate!)

If it's only 48/24, it would show a bitrate of 9,216 kb/s.

Edit: Oh also are people seeing this result over HDMI connections? (I.e. Are receivers showing input as LPCM over 48/16?)

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/13001422

Are there any receiver brands that will show what Khz audio is coming in over analog inputs?

For analog signals, the sampling rate (kHz) is irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THXUltra2 /forum/post/13001501

For analog signals, the sampling rate (kHz) is irrelevant.
The sampling rate isn't irrelevant at all (at least not talking about signals that were digital before being converted to analog). It just isn't a sampling rate anymore. The sampling rate refers to it's sample rate when it's in Pulse Code Modulation form, before it hits any D/A conversion. After the D/A conversion there's no sample rate left, it's just an analog audio signal which is what you hear. However the sampling rate is certainly relevant. Audio encoded/recorded/stored digitally in PCM format at higher bit lengths and sample rates is theoretically higher quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/13001422

Are there any receiver brands that will show what Khz audio is coming in over analog inputs?

No you can't really measure the sampling rate in analog because there is no sampling rate at that point. Again the sampling rate is related to PCM coding not analog audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/13001962

Then how did lpg measure this?

He didn't "measure" it per se. What he did was he looked at his audio driver/control panel application thing in Windows or whatever and it shows the input rate to the driver/card as 192kHz whereas before he was seeing a maximum of 48kHz from PDVD. This is what I gather from what he posted anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge /forum/post/13002119

No you can't really measure the sampling rate in analog because there is no sampling rate at that point. Again the sampling rate is related to PCM coding not analog audio.

Sorry, that's what I meant. I wanted to say "not applicable" instead of "irrelevant".

·
Registered
332 Posts
where can I download the 3730 patch? I have the retail version of Power DVD..

never mind found it on their website :)

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Ok I will leave it up to the others to 100% confirm that PowerDVD does not downsample. However, I will share with you my experience.

I just listened to SpiderMan 3 with the 3516 version and 5.1 Channel Analog output. It sounded great to me. Then I loaded the software and immediately switched to the new version. The difference was TOTALLY apparent. Now I know what lossless sounds like!

There were several scenes with dialog that were kind of scratchy before when I got within 7 DB of reference level. Now they are simply perfect. I had doubted whether lossless was really worth it before. Now I have no doubt. This latest patch is the real deal.

I am sure that others will cofirm this with more scientific means. However, I am 100% confident that the audio format is not being downsampled now.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts