AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of debate on what the price point will be for up and coming 720p LCD projectors such as the Z4 and AE900u. Many people are saying that because these new projectors will contain the new Epson D5 panels that we should expect them to be announced at price points above $2,500.

However, I just don't see how that would possibly be the case given the recent announcement of other 720p products such as the LG AN110. This new DLP projector is the first flat wall-mountable projector and looks really sleek and sexy. It specs are also quite formidable - DLP 0.65" DMD, six segment color wheel, 16x9 A.R. @1280x768 resolution, 700 low power/1100 high power rated ANSI lumens, super quiet 25dB noise level, 6,000-7,000 hour lamp life in low power mode, 3,000:1 contrast ratio, as well as a host of other features and all for under $2,500.

So my question to you guys is this, if we are now going to be getting 720p DLPs in this price range where does it stand to reason that the next generation of LCDs will not be either higher in resolution, i.e. 1080p, or cheaper than current 720p LCD projectors?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
First, I don't know where you're getting your information from. The blurb I saw said 4000 hour lamp life in low power mode.

Second, no MSRP was given (only MSRP are allowed to be posted in this forum -- read the rules!).

Third, it sounds like the AN110 was announced in Europe and not in the USA. So who knows when or if this PJ will be available here. From the size of the DMD, it sounds like it uses one of the older TI designs (or one of their own, maybe?). If LG is not using a TI DMD, then the AN110 will not be sold in the US, IMHO.

·
Registered
875 Posts
hmm, well, first of all, they have announced a "price" of "below $2,500" While they did not specifically say MSRP, it is a Price stated by the Manufacturer, and no other information has been made available, so I think you're being needlessly harsh on the guy. In addition, the "price" has been discussed at length in the thread dedicated to the LG with no moderator comment, so it was entirely appropriate for the poster to raise it here.

second - your information is a little behind the times. the .65 DMD is a BRAND NEW 1280x768 DC2+ DLP chip that we expect to see in a number of pjs this fall and winter.

The original topic is a good one - if the 720p+ (the plus being better 4x3 performance for games with true 1024x768) dlps can sell for 2.5k or less, and the price of older tech 720p reach for the floor, I believe we can expect 720p to msrp at a maximum of 2.5k from here on in with plenty of 1,999 in the mix.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Thanks jsm, I didn't know that about the DMD. I'll leave the price issue up to the moderators. The subject is worthwhile, and I didn't want this thread deleted for something silly.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
While the specs are nifty, keep in mind that the D5 LCDs expect to top most DLPs in terms of contrast. That will be a fairly stunning turn of events. Yes, I know some LCDs already top some DLPs, but we're talking in general here :). I think they will test the waters right around the $2500 MSRP and try to market them as a serioues upgrade to the previous generation.

And yes, we will keep this at MSRP only :)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Most likely the MSRP will be about $2,500 and performance will be comparable to DLP at about the same MSRP. Front projectors will be found in more homes than ever with this performance/price level.

Chris

·
Registered
597 Posts
Look for variable iris, lens shift, better contrast, for DLP FP . Doubt DLP will fall behind at this critical $2500-3000 price point. Will fare well for the consumer. Can I wait 2-3 yrs. before planned upgrade is the question.

·
Registered
875 Posts
What is the current msrp for the ae700 or the Z3?

As far as price points go I think that reasonable HT fp (720p, 500 calibrated lumens, 2000 or better calibrated CR) should be hitting the price of a decent 60-65" rp unit. There will always be a (small) market for 5-15k pjs, but we do seem to be settling in on a peak competition point of 2.5k MSRP for that range of specs. The problem that manufacturers face is that resolution is the only truely groundbreaking spec for the vast majority of buyers - not the readers here of course, but the majority of buyers for a pj around $2,000. Now that 720p is standard in that range, all of the innovations (D5, DI, more lumens, improved DMDs) are marginal improvements. You and I can appreciate them - in fact we demand them, but they cannot command real price differentials for those features if the manufacturer wants to maintain volume in what has become the volume price point.

I think the more interesting question is whether infocus comes out with a 4810 using the .65 DMD and MSRPs it at $1999 - they were blowing out 4805s on WOOT last week so I have to think something is in the works.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Does anyone have a feeling for when the new 1280x768 0.65 DMD projector models will start appearing in volume? Is this something we will see yet later this Fall, or are we looking at something more like Spring '06?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still think the 720p LCDs will have a MSRP closer to $2,000.00.

I hope you are right that Infocus is going to release a successor to the sp4805 using the new DLP chip. That would definitely be something to look foward to.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assayer
Does anyone have a feeling for when the new 1280x768 0.65 DMD projector models will start appearing in volume? Is this something we will see yet later this Fall, or are we looking at something more like Spring '06?
As with a lot of the other questions here, I think we will get a much better idea by September 9th or 10th as the show floor opens on the 9th.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm still waiting for 3 chip DLP projectors for the average consumer........... Do single DLP chips cost that much?

·
Premium Member
25,004 Posts
"keep in mind that the D5 LCDs expect to top most DLPs in terms of contrast."

Is that based on the assumption of DI (dynamic iris)? Until recently I think the answer was yes, but lately there were a few mentions of the native CR of the D5's and/or Sony BiNa having much higher native CR.

" Look for variable iris, lens shift, better contrast, for DLP FP ."

I sure hope so. Just curious, is this speculation or do you have info to that effect?

"The problem that manufacturers face is that resolution is the only truely groundbreaking spec for the vast majority of buyers"

Not sure I agree with this. I think most buyers are non-tech, and when the salesman says "this set costs more but it has higher resolution" people will say "Show me the picture".

And I think the difference between 1080 and 720 with typical picture sizes be less significant than the combined effects of SD, VB, and FPN.

These are the big remaining differentiator between LCD and DLP, which most describe as the greater smoothness and filmlike look of DLP.

The $64K question in my mind is how far will D5 go to addressing these.

·
Registered
875 Posts
the chips, combined with the additional optics and software make them a non-starter for the low end for the foreseeable future.

I've got a new mustang I'm waiting to have delivered, ETA the 10th, Football Season is starting that weekend, and there's CEDIA - Sept. 10th can't come soon enough for me.

·
Premium Member
25,004 Posts
"the chips, combined with the additional optics and software make them a non-starter for the low end for the foreseeable future."

Is that in response to "Look for variable iris, lens shift, better contrast, for DLP FP ."?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz
"the chips, combined with the additional optics and software make them a non-starter for the low end for the foreseeable future."

Is that in response to "Look for variable iris, lens shift, better contrast, for DLP FP ."?
no, noah, it was in reply to Koprowski

I am firmly in the DLP camp myself, primarily I look to the improved LCDs to drive the prices of the 720p dlps down. Given that the .65 DMD is lower priced then the current dc2+ 720p chip, i am expecting that to come out in some compelling 720(768)p dlp models - the LG just being the first of many. While some have denigrated the chip as being for the duel use market, it is a DC2+, and could be used to make a very nice HT projector (with the added benefit of being better for 4x3 computing and games.)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2
As with a lot of the other questions here, I think we will get a much better idea by September 9th or 10th as the show floor opens on the 9th.

--Darin
Very true, but it is still fun to speculate on what the future brings.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Well, something has to happen for low-end DLP's.

The recent prices of WVGA machines like the Infocus 4805 suggests that this format is going out. SVGA is also going out (witness the price for the XGA Infocus X3).

With WVGA and SVGA going out, what will take their place at the low end? The only two choices are the Matterhorn 576P machines (like the Infocus 5700) or new 720P machines.

The Matterhorn machines have not done well in the US. They have done better in Europe because of the match to Pal resolution. We may see the prices reduced, or we may see Matterhorns dropped, more likely a price reduction this fall, followed by a phase-out next year.

So the only choice is 720P DLP machines, and priced MSRP in the $2000-2500 range. Otherwise, there is a vacuum in the low end. A vacuum that LCD will be very eager to fill.

I predict that once we see 1080P DLP FP's, which should be the first of the year, we will also see 720P DLP under $2000 MSRP.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.