AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replied to the other thread on this subject, but realized that that thread was about updating the 5100 and not about problems with it, so I thought it would be best if I started a new thread for my problem. I'm sorry if this is not the proper edicate(sp?) of this forum.

I have the Motorola DCT5100 connected to my Samsung HCL4715W widescreen t.v. I use component cables to my t.v., and a fibre optic cable from my 5100 to my Pioneer reciever. I live near Pittsburgh, PA and have comcast cable. I have been reading this forum now for about two hours but still havn't gotten through all 119 pages because i'm at work right now lol. With that said, I have some questions for you guys if you don't mind helping me out....

I've listed my problems from the most annoying to the least:

1. When my 5100 is turned off, the time is displayed AND the A/B light is on??? I have no idea why the A/B light is on??

Now, when I turn my 5100 ON, the time disappears AND the A/B light disappears, but the little yellow power ligh comes ON??? This is VERY VERY VERY annoying as i'm trying to look at the guide to select a show, but I can't see what time it is because the 5100 l.e.d. screen is blank, with the exception of the power light! NOW, here is the funny part. I know you all are thinking i can just go into the menu and choose cable box and then say "yes" to display the time. Well, i have done that and that setting Always is set to "yes" for it to display the time and it dosn't. Even if I switch it to "no" than back to "yes" turn my box on and off again, press random buttons on the remote etc. the time will still not display *UNLESS* i press one of the number keys and ONLY one of the number keys then press exit, or change the channel via pressing the numeric keys on the remote will the time then be displayed after the channel is displayed briefly???? How can i fix this? What is wrong? I have had my 5100 replaced once already and it still is doing it. Comcast techs have no idea what is wrong with it. When I first got my 5100 installed a few months ago this problem was not happening. It just started out of the blue one day?? Can someone please help me? Why is the A/B light on when the box is "off"? Why won't my time be displayed unless I press a numeric key on the remote?

2. I have experienced the infamous lip sync problem as well. BUT, my ONLY occurs while watching the high definition channels, and NOT any other channels? Also, it does not happen all the time, nor does it happen on all of the HD channels, it only seems to happen on the "local" HD channels.

2.5 Not sure if this has anything to do with the lip sync problem, but I noticed quite frequently when watching local HD channels my reciever will auto switch from 5.1 doby digital to pro logic and back and forth every once in awhile during a show. This does not happen everynight or during a specific show, but when it does happen sometimes it happens only a couple of time then stops, but sometimes it happens every couple of minutes and gets REALLY annoying. Is this the signal coming in that is causing this problem or is it the 5100?

3. When watching HD channels the commericals and the news have large black bars goinng up and down on the left and right side of the screen. But when the show comes back on, it fills the entire screen perfectly and looks very good? Last night I was watching "still standing" and this was happening.

4. How do i check to see which firmware/software version i'm running?

I know this is alot to ask, and I plan to continue to read this whole thread no matter how long it takes me LOL. I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My $.02

1. I noticed the same thing, but since I can't see the time from across the room anyway, I check the time by pressing the info button on any channel or menu item.

2. I think the lip synch is in the broadcast. I can set up my receiver to compensate by changing the distance to the speaker settings. (There is about a 2 second delay in the transmission of a SD signal and HD signal of the same program, Tune another TV into the SD broadcast in another room and the HD in a stand where you can hear and or see both.)

2.5 Again I believe this is broadcast, some content is being broadcast in 5.1 and HD with a backup transmission of lesser quality that will replace the HD signal if the HD signal fails for whatever reason.

3. The commercials and news aren't generally broadcast in full screen at 1080I/720P hence the lines. A lot of threads here regarding the black bars etc.

4. From the main menu, select setup, and I think "about cable box". There is a software date on the left and firmware on the right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.