AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think this looks promising and I ordered one today. The video makes it look easy to implement as well. I know people will debate accuracy considering it uses smartphone mics but I believe the potential ease of use and $60 price tag could make this a game changer.

If the first one works out I’ll buy more for other systems I don’t already have a MiniDSP.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-lf-low-frequency-dsp-controller--230-520?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZzzBRCKARIsANwXaeIekP5s3hnp9q9fON9RtIepbHQg3vsxgL0KkftCiRE7LDa3b7RNlJUaAm1YEALw_wcB

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do wish it went lower for subsonic filter if used in a DIY sub. For anything aftermarket it’s likely fine.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Yup, the weak link here are the smartphone microphones themselves. For example, the iPhone mic starts to roll-off at 50Hz, is 10dB down by 30Hz and 20dB down at 20Hz....that ain't gonna cut it for any serious bass tweaker. ;)

Unless this device/app has some way of knowing which phone you are using and the actual FR of your phone's mic, this is a non-starter for me.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Agree. I can't figure out why they made this design decision. This type of product is only going to be of interest to people like us on AVS who are the same people that are very interested in the

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the Q&A on the website they are able to compensate for the known roll off of Apple microphones. However, due to Android hardware variability, they don’t have an Android app to do the auto room correct. You can still do the adjustments, just not the measurements with an Android device.

I also do wish it had multiple sub inputs but by the time you buy two of these you’re getting into the price range of a MiniDSP 2x4.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, the weak link here are the smartphone microphones themselves. For example, the iPhone mic starts to roll-off at 50Hz, is 10dB down by 30Hz and 20dB down at 20Hz....that ain't gonna cut it for any serious bass tweaker. ;)

Unless this device/app has some way of knowing which phone you are using and the actual FR of your phone's mic, this is a non-starter for me.
From the Q&A on the product page:

Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think this looks promising and I ordered one today. The video makes it look easy to implement as well. I know people will debate accuracy considering it uses smartphone mics but I believe the potential ease of use and $60 price tag could make this a game changer.

If the first one works out I’ll buy more for other systems I don’t already have a MiniDSP.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-lf-low-frequency-dsp-controller--230-520?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZzzBRCKARIsANwXaeIekP5s3hnp9q9fON9RtIepbHQg3vsxgL0KkftCiRE7LDa3b7RNlJUaAm1YEALw_wcB
So how do you like the job the dsp does for you?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So how do you like the job the dsp does for you?
I honestly haven't played with it to much out of sheer laziness. When I initially got it I tried to do the auto eq feature and I couldn't get it too work. It kept saying my level was too high or too low regardless of how delicate I was with the volume.

I really need to break out REW and try it out that way. I will say that you can't enter manual PEQ parameters. To try and smooth out the frequency response you have to use your finger on your phone to get your target curve. It seems like this would be difficult to get precision eq with a finger on a smart phone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also had the issue of “levels too high”. The solution is to set the high and pass and low pass filters on the Dayton to maximum and then it will work. I have to say I had an unexpected result (and it may be due to how bad the peaks were in my room), the bass seemed neutered after calibration, even with gains on my two REL’s set to max. One benefit: it should eliminate any further neighbor complaints.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts