AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many others, I have the problem of owning an older HT pre/pro with no 5.1 analog bypass and trying to share one multi-channel AMP and speaker setup between both audio and HT video separates. I have been doing some research to find out if any solution exists and have come up empty handed...somewhat.

Adding a multi-channel preamp to the configuration would help but only if it includes two sets of multi-channel inputs - one for a DVD-A or SACD player and a second for an existing HT pre/pro. Without two inputs, one is forced to purchase a passive multi-channel switch such as the Zektor MAS3 http://www.zektor.com/mas3/ or equivalent. Actually, the Zektor is quite interesting as it allows for up to three inputs (Pre/Pro, SACD and DVD-A).

The Audio Refinement Pre-5 only includes one set up multi-channel inputs. The Sony TA-P9000ES (when it was available) allowed for two inputs. It is too bad this is no longer available. My guess is Sony dropped the product because it was keeping their customers from upgrading older pre/pro's with a newer (and more expensive) one that includes a 5.1 bypass connection. Again, it is too bad, since such a product was unique and fills a growing void since more and more people are buying universal DVD and/or separate SACD players.

BTW, to me the ideal product is even simpler than a preamp in that it really only needs to be passive and not process anything (no DD, DTS, etc. silicon and associated royalties to pay). Aside from switching three inputs and providing volume control, it would also be nice if it offered base management and signal delay control.

I will market/sell it if someone would design and build it for me. Any takers?

mikepa

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
" The Sony TA-P9000ES (when it was available) allowed for two inputs."

Actually the Sony had 3 inputs. Two which had full volume control and a third 5.1 input which was just a straight pass-thru. The idea was your two players in the regular 5.1 inputs and your processor into the pass-thru one.

McCormack makes another box like this too.

" BTW, to me the ideal product is even simpler than a preamp in that it really only needs to be passive and not process anything (no DD, DTS, etc. silicon and associated royalties to pay). Aside from switching three inputs and providing volume control, it would also be nice if it offered base management and signal delay control. "

Your two sentences here strongly contradict each other.

For another solution see if MSB Tech can add a 5.1 input to your existing processor.

Shawn

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sfogg,

Thanks for the correction on the P9000ES. I found a source for its documentation after I posted it and noticed that as well.

My bad about the contradiction. I guess I was mixing two thoughts or products into one.

One bypass/passive product need only provide high quality switching and volume control and no DD or DTS processing. By avoiding the latter and associated royalties, the cost of this product should be a bit less and could be sold "cheaper". In fact, passive bass control filters could also be a part of this product or could be saved for the "higher end" second product that incorporates active components to delay the multi-channel signals.

I knew I would eventually forget my EE lessons after going into marketing.

mikep

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I believe the $2200 McCormack unit has dual 5.1 ins, but not sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.