AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got setup with D* yesterday and was puzzled on the minimal improvement of HD. I was using ESPN HD to compare the picture, then I started flipping to Discovery and there was a big difference. Then when the ball game came on I could see the difference.

I'm new to all this but after reading some posts here I guess ESPN HD is not 100% HD because:

1) Only the event is HD not the commercials or sportscenter shows etc.?

2) D* compresses and dilutes the quality?

3) Maybe I don't have optimal settings?

I have a Magnavox 51MP392H, I know it's a cheap end but it's what I got. I only have the composite video input for HD. I has 1080i and 480p capability thorugh CV and I have a H10 receiver. Anyone have any recommendations on the optimal settings for the TV and receiver? Right now I have the receiver on 1080i Full and the TV on Auto picture?

Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm not following you. You saw a big difference between HD and SD, then you complain that's it's minimal.

Composite isn't HD.

Very few channels are all HD (HDNet, UHD, Discovery HD). The rest are only HD when the programs they're showing are produced in HD. ESPN's HD is knockout good, if you can't tell the difference (try switching between 206 and 73) then it's either set up wrong, or it's not HD in the first place. You can tell on 73 by the bars on the sides that say ESPN HD. That means it's not HD. Heh, I just realized how backwards that is for somebody who's unfamiliar with it. The bars are there to fill the space for NON-HD stuff.

Don't worry about the compression stuff, ESPN HD looks like HD. You can't miss the difference from SD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

No the reason I said minimal improvement was when I was watching sportcenter when it was first hooked up and they had the bars on the side. But the game came on full screen and then I saw the difference.

Yea one of the things I wanted to know was that commercials didn't show in HD. So I guess though you are saying for Discovery HD eveything including commercials is HD?

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwalters
You can tell on 73 by the bars on the sides that say ESPN HD. That means it's not HD. Heh, I just realized how backwards that is for somebody who's unfamiliar with it.
Funny, I never looked at it from that perspective either.

"Yeah, channel 73 is ESPN HD unless it says 'ESPN HD' - then it's not HD"

Clear as mud. :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
LOL CPanther !!!

When you see the talking heads on Sports Center, it is HD. Some of the sports clips that they show are in HD. When you see the sidebars, it is SD. Please read your users guide closely. There is a difference between component and composite video. Be sure you are hooked up component due that is where the HD signals are passed through. Good luck.

Bill

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparr
Yea one of the things I wanted to know was that commercials didn't show in HD. So I guess though you are saying for Discovery HD eveything including commercials is HD?
Most commercials aren't HD. Apparently most advertisers don't want to spend the money, or don't think it's worth it (many disagree because now is when they can differentiate themselves from the rest.) On "all"-HD channels like HDNet and Discovery, you'll see HD commercials, but they are the exception. On a network regular network which is simulcast in HD and SD, just about the only time you'll see an HD commercial is the Super Bowl, and even then it's maybe a quarter or a third of them.

I think that's the key, the simulcast. If it's both SD and HD versions of the channel, the advertiser only pays to get one version made, they don't want to double the expense for a small number of viewers, maybe 5% of that channel's audience. If it's only HD, there's only one version anyway, it's 100% of that channel's audience.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
In the original post, you said that you had the HD hooked up thru composite, and rcwalters mentioned that composite is not HD. I just wanted to clarify that you have your sat receiver hooked up thru COMPONENT AV4. I have the same tv and it has two component inputs, but only AV4 is HD capable, the other is only 480i.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I have it on AV4 through component video. The cable itself though is basically a composite correct? That's what it looks like?

Rocky u have the same TV?

Right now my receiver is set on 16:9 Full, looks pretty good in HD. But when I do to a SD station looks terrible. I change back to AV2 for S-video it seems slightly better for the SD feed. Do you notice this? Or do you recommend any different settings?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparr
Yes I have it on AV4 through component video. The cable itself though is basically a composite correct? That's what it looks like?
Component has three separate jacks for red blue and green. Composite is a single jack. They do not look anything like each other.

You have to use component to pass a HD signal. Composite is about the oldest and worst way to connect anything, short of some older laserdisc players.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Dparr, there is nothing wrong with your set. Sometimes the HDTV channels show material which was recorded with only Standard Definition Cameras or tapes. These SD shows/games can be shown on HDTV channels such as ESPN-HD or TNT-HD. Kinda like how an old B&W Movie or TV shown can still be shown on a Color TV.

So even though you have a HDTV channel, on a HDTV D* receiver, connected to a HDTV television, with the proper HDTV connection cables, a SDTV show can still look like crap on it.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
It looks like everyone forgot to mention HD-lite to this guy. I've seen many people with D* report that they're HD channels look only a little better than SD channels. They're not my words but rather the words of actual D* owners.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot
It looks like everyone forgot to mention HD-lite to this guy. I've seen many people with D* report that they're HD channels look only a little better than SD channels. They're not my words but rather the words of actual D* owners.
This has nothing to do what he is seeing, which is SD programming on part-time HD channels like ESPN HD.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy
This has nothing to do what he is seeing, which is SD programming on part-time HD channels like ESPN HD.

That doesn't make my comment any less valid. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the info, I do have the red,blue and green connectors. I understand what you are saying about the SD feeds and that makes sense, it sucks but makes sense.

Is anyone watching the steelers game tonight? I'm a HUGE Steelers fan, hope this doesn't stop people from posting for me :) But it's like one minute the picture looks great then it has a hazyness in the background images or on the grass. I watched a baseball game the other night and the picture seemed better. It seems like I have read some other posts where ESPN HD is inconsistent with the picture quality. I just can't wait til there is more selection of HD, it seems like it is taking forever for this HD to take off.

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.