AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get my first projector. It will go in my basement with good light control but it is mostly white. Completely dark at night and fairly dark during the day having only 3 windows with curtains. Budget is 1300 could go up to 1500. Throw distance is 14 feet or 11.5 with lens shift. Screen size will be between 80-100 inches. It would be used for Sports TV movies and video games, pretty much everything. It will be used 20% sports, 60% TV, 10% blu ray, 10% video games. However in importance 60% sports, 25% blu ray, 10% TV, 5% video games. Right now only 2 options I see are Epson 8350 and Mitsubishi HC4000. I asume a new Epson will come out at CEDIA next month right? Will Mitsubishi also release a new one also? Im in no rush and am not going to buy for at least a month and a half. So for my situation would you recommend the Epson or the Mits and what do you expect from CEDIA?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sitting will be between 9-12 feet away. Hows Mits customer support compared to epson? I was pretty set on the epson till a few days ago because i liked the 3LCD but now im not as sure. Will the Mits be good with some lights on because projector area is attached to game area. Also lens shift is pretty import and only willing to sacrifice for some substantial improvement. As for the screen the wall is a weird shape so were still not sure about the angle and size yet. Were planning on deciding once we get the projector exactly what we want but its DEF not going to be over 100 i know you get used to it fast but that just wont work unfortunately haha.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
with mits you prolly wont need cust.service but with epson you are QC.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sandman
Does anyone have any idea what to expect from Epson at cedia this year in relation to the 8350?
It's a surprise every year. That seems to be the hype of the show. With it right around the corner, and the fast changing technology and prices. It is a thought to wait and see. Then if you don't like the reviews or what CEDIA offers, you can catch a deal on last years models.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sandman /forum/post/20834391

Throw distance is 14 feet or 11.5 with lens shift.

Do you need lens shift? If it's a must, then the HC4000 would be out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now after a disappointing CEDIA any reason not to get the BenQ? I dont care about 3D and the current $1500 price of the BenQ is hard to beat. Only problem is that I wont be able to view one before purchasing but I would like to make sure about the rainbow affect. Do all DLP devises have this. If i dont see anything on a big screen rear projection TV am i most likely not going to see them on the BenQ?

·
Registered
JVC RS3100 | Benq HT9050 | MADVR w/ RTX 3080| 130in 2.35:1 | 5.2.2
5,936 Posts
Go with the benq, it should be better than any projector $1500 or less

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
I think the color wheel speeds of modern DLP TV's is too fast to judge compared to a projector (probably 6x or higher). The Benq CW speed is only 4x. The Benq is said to have a little more RBE effect than average for this speed as well.

It would be easier to just find somewhere that has a DLP projector on display.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.