AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my Optoma HD79 died. I use a CAVX MKII. My new projector will be 1080p. I cant afford a new lens. Is it foolish to put a $1,000 dollar PJ infront of prisms.......

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
As a shooter, it makes me think of the question, do you put a $2000 scope on a $500 rifle? Sometimes it makes sense to, especially when you consider the costs of manufacturing. Mass production of rifles can be refined and streamlined to make a decent-quality rifle, but optics (like an a-lens) remain fairly precision-oriented, which naturally makes them more expensive to produce. Projectors have continued to improve while prices have continued to decrease, so pairing one of today's cheaper projectors with a still relatively expensive a-lens shouldn't be considered too odd. With my shooting analogy, sometimes it might make perfect sense to use a $2000 Leupold, if the rifle shoots well enough to capitalize on the scope's advantages. If your new PJ throws a good picture, and works well with your existing A-lens, then it would make perfect sense to use it.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/20887113

I guess its been a while, are the dual prisms old school ?

Yes very much. The MK2 was basically a revised version of the original "trophy lens". There was no optical corrections (Chromatic Aberrations, Astigmatism or Grid Distortion) and the coating were not true optical coatings - and the price reflected that.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/20888075

Oh dear
, always a step behind hahaha

Yeah and at the time it was all I had available to me. It got allot of people into CIH that could not afford it otherwise, so not all bad.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/20895228

Since i have a lens and no PJ.....PJ must come first :0)

There are some nice choices, we'll see where i go from here,the Mits 4000 seems to be the $1K king...

And apparently does the Shrink method right out of the box. I'd be interested to see this for myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.