AVS Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 2676 Posts

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Thanks for confirming that you can turn off all the digital convergence processing on the VW995 (GTZ240) which is what we found in our evaluations. Sony told us that although they have very small tolerances for misconvergence you will inevitably have some on 3 chip designs. They have a camera-based system that applies digital convergence correction at the factory QC stage but which could be turned off in the service menu. Sony told us that they shipped the systems with auto digital convergence applied because the resulting image is better based on analysis that they did.

A couple of questions:
Does the majority of Sony owners not use the digital convergence system?
Is it your sense that Sony has measurably more convergence issues that their competitors in the consumer space?
Are you aware of any measurements done by any reputable members of AVS that would support a mis convergence comparison?
I don't know that Sony projectors have more convergence issues than their competitors. I've seen bad out of the box convergence on some Epsons and JVCs. Anyway, I don't really like using digital convergence. There was already, as you know, pre-set convergence on the 695; some people even risk going into the service menu to turn that setting off.

When I had my 695ES, one of the things I realized was that it was more of a plug-and-play projector. The colors out of the box were very close to standard, as were gamma and white balance. So, perhaps the pre-set convergence was something also intended to make adjustment easier for the end user.

·
Registered
29,898 Posts
Thanks for confirming that you can turn off all the digital convergence processing on the VW995 (GTZ240) which is what we found in our evaluations. Sony told us that although they have very small tolerances for misconvergence you will inevitably have some on 3 chip designs. They have a camera-based system that applies digital convergence correction at the factory QC stage but which could be turned off in the service menu. Sony told us that they shipped the systems with auto digital convergence applied because the resulting image is better based on analysis that they did.

A couple of questions:
Does the majority of Sony owners not use the digital convergence system?
Is it your sense that Sony has measurably more convergence issues that their competitors in the consumer space?
Are you aware of any measurements done by any reputable members of AVS that would support a mis convergence comparison?
I don't worry about the lens on the 4500, 995 or the 5000. All three are top notch lenses.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
All models except 995 have a plastic element in them. Has been this way for many years. All the 4k models except 995 use the same lens. So the lens in the 915 is the same lens used in the 295.
bit pathetic really...

especially when much cheaper projector like epson can use all glass ! the epson i have owned have had quite good optics in the fuji lens setup they use...

jvc has been using all glass for a while as far as I know ...

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
The 1000ES, 1100ES, 995ES, and 5000ES all use the All Crisp Focus lens, which might be slightly better than the lens in the JVC RS4500 and RS3000, by the way. The real question about the hybrid lens when compared to the other glass-lensed Sony models is how well do they perform in actuality.
we have seen the screen shots @Javs quoted from the german comparison that use the hybrid lens setup and the word *sh!te" is al comes to mind...

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Why cant we just accept that certain brands have flaws, as do other brands? Everyone has a gripe. Thats ok, that can be allowed.

Some people get super defensive about Sony around here, and its gone on for years. You will actually find the Sony people will be defensive and wont accept the flaws, the JVC people generally accept them (about JVC) and move on, or complain enough where it will actually get fixed. God forbid if a 'JVC' owner mentions the Sony flaws they are branded fanboys. Little did the Sony people know, most of the JVC people making these comments are previous Sony people!!

LOL.

I dont give two hoots what the brand on the box says, I will talk about, roast, mention, complain whatever about any flaws on any projector as I see them, I wont mince words and I will do it about any brand, and have done. People that really know everything I have posted over the years will know this! The Sony's have generally bad lenses compared to the competition, STILL, I posted screenshots from a video made no less than 1 month ago showing a myriad of bad lens examples. Even two from the laser units, both not good IMO!! One of them was the Arc lens I think.

Why is that a problem? I didn't make the video but alas the evidence is there, the guy has like 5 projectors overall in that video, only one of the lenses looked any good..

You cannot talk about the ARC-F like its the one and only damned lens Sony makes, its just not. Then talking about Sony's lenses in general like the lenses in the Sim market (Read: Big $$$$$) have anything at all to do with the overall performance of what they are giving people in the HT market its just simply quite outlandish and shows a disconnect.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
The 1000ES, 1100ES, 995ES, and 5000ES all use the All Crisp Focus lens, which might be slightly better than the lens in the JVC RS4500 and RS3000, by the way. The real question about the hybrid lens when compared to the other glass-lensed Sony models is how well do they perform in actuality.

Going by what I recall reading in Ekki's testing and comparison between the 995's lens and the hybrid lens, both lenses presented with sharpness and detail. It was only in the outer portions of the onscreen image that the ARC-F lens parted company and showed more clarity and detail. The point here is that the hybrid lens held its own --and with no ordinary glass lens, mind you. This was the ARC-F lens, arguably the best HT PJ lens in the world!
The 885ES models I have seen at some friends studios had fantastic focus and image clarity. Very impressive.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I came to a similar conclusion on the Lumagen. It's not a small investment to achieve better HDR performance.

Having seen what DTM can do, I still want to see for myself what the 915es looks like and how well it can handle a wide range of content and sources.
Pretty much exactly the same as the 885. ;)

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Thank Arch... but I am very curious to see how the DHDRE works. How it can be tweaked. How well it does with a range of content, and if external HDR mapping help is absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
All models except 995 have a plastic element in them. Has been this way for many years. All the 4k models except 995 use the same lens. So the lens in the 915 is the same lens used in the 295.
They should have used the lens they used in the VW60 for the 4K units. That was a super sharp all glass lens of a similar size to the N5 and N7.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Why cant we just accept that certain brands have flaws, as do other brands? Everyone has a gripe. Thats ok, that can be allowed.

Some people get super defensive about Sony around here, and its gone on for years. You will actually find the Sony people will be defensive and wont accept the flaws, the JVC people generally accept them (about JVC) and move on, or complain enough where it will actually get fixed. God forbid if a 'JVC' owner mentions the Sony flaws they are branded fanboys. Little did the Sony people know, most of the JVC people making these comments are previous Sony people!!

LOL.

I dont give two hoots what the brand on the box says, I will talk about, roast, mention, complain whatever about any flaws on any projector as I see them, I wont mince words and I will do it about any brand, and have done. People that really know everything I have posted over the years will know this! The Sony's have generally bad lenses compared to the competition, STILL, I posted screenshots from a video made no less than 1 month ago showing a myriad of bad lens examples. Even two from the laser units, both not good IMO!! One of them was the Arc lens I think.

Why is that a problem? I didn't make the video but alas the evidence is there, the guy has like 5 projectors overall in that video, only one of the lenses looked any good..

You cannot talk about the ARC-F like its the one and only damned lens Sony makes, its just not. Then talking about Sony's lenses in general like the lenses in the Sim market (Read: Big $$$$$) have anything at all to do with the overall performance of what they are giving people in the HT market its just simply quite outlandish and shows a disconnect.
I missed that video, could you post a link to it please? :)

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Thank Arch... but I am very curious to see how the DHDRE works. How it can be tweaked. How well it does with a range of content, and if external HDR mapping help is absolutely necessary.
It cannot really be tweaked. It s off, or three levels of strength.
;)
Also LLDV or external mapping is of benefit. Particularly LLDV.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Scroll up.
Sorry, you've got me. Scrolling up I can find no link to pics or video.
It is the wee hours of Sunday morning here though and I am starting to nod off.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
In my opinion, you have that backwards.

LLDV is a neat hack, but it's not anything compared to proper tonemapping from Envy or Lumagen. Anyone who has that kind of tonemapping doesn't do LLDV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: markmon1

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Sorry, you've got me. Scrolling up I can find no link to pics or video.
It is the wee hours of Sunday morning here though and I am starting to nod off.
Sorry I'm on my phone, scroll further to my post about a day ago. I posted half a dozen photos and a video you can't miss it.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
... LLDV is a neat hack, but it's not anything compared to proper tonemapping from Envy or Lumagen. Anyone who has that kind of tonemapping doesn't do LLDV.
I disagree... with any content mastered such that one can pull a Profile 5 Layer from a disc or streamed, DV LLVD presents an experience comparable to what I was able to experience with a Lumagen on my old x990. Some HDR10 titles with good meta data also worked very well. It was the problem content that gave DV LLDV more trouble than even the UB820, because it's not easy to precisely tweak the ST2084 curve up or down. Certainly having a few custom curves can help with those problem titles, but it is not ideal.

I agree anyone who has already made an investment in a Lumagen or Envy, would not explore the possibilities of DV LLDV where applicable. But for those not inclined or unable to make that investment, the cost to explore DV LLDV is much lower cost alternative for the content that can benefit.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
That is not what the @Kris Deering review concluded:

Given the limitations of the iris/laser dimming solution in the 915ES, its overall contrast performance was still quite good. Sony continues to make some of the best projectors at any price point when it comes to dynamic range, with only JVC's lineup delivering better performance, and even then, only when you get extremely close to absolute black.
Sony's new VPL-VW915ES may represent only a slight update of the company's recently upgraded (via a free firmware update) VPL-VW885ES, but it's a sizable improvement over the original version of the 885ES that I reviewed three years ago. The 915ES also showed significant improvement in color uniformity and contouring, two artifacts that I found particularly distracting on previous Sony projectors I've tested. This new laser-based 4K model's out-of-box color accuracy and contrast performance contribute to an image that will no doubt dazzle even the most discerning videophile.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
It cannot really be tweaked. It s off, or three levels of strength.
;)
Are there any adjustments available within the Service Menu?

And there are no ST2084 tools for Picture, Black or White? It's all preset to OFF, Low, Mid and High?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
My problem is the comment "particularly LLDV". That makes it sound like LLDV Is better than proper tonemapping. I just don't agree with that.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
My problem is the comment "particularly LLDV". That makes it sound like LLDV Is better than proper tonemapping. I just don't agree with that.

I understand, but then do you also think Dolby Vision is not proper tone mapping? Although in this context the question is not as simple as that.

2401 - 2420 of 2676 Posts