AVS Forum banner

2461 - 2480 of 2676 Posts

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
I'm not referencing you. You have a DLP now so you're in the club. 😄😄
I currently own (for a long time) two DLP's, a Marantz and a Planar and it was not that long ago that I had a shifting laser DLP in my room for a couple months. Now that Bytehoven knows that, does it mean I have Bytehoven's approval to talk about deficiencies I see with DLP. :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Cool thing though, I did the “cross-eyes 3D stereo gram” thing on that photo looking for circles and it worked. No circles, same image but it looks like I’m staring through a deep hole in my screen.

Ah, I see the circles - 16. Takes a bit of staring, but I’m not sure how it relates to tone mapping. Maybe saying that you won’t see it unless you know what you’re looking for?

Hidden patterns in the junctions of the lines, if you draw around the vertical lines you end up with a circle.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
It sounds like you are reading this sentence and saying it is for a fact an improvement, but that is not what it says.

"Sony's new VPL-VW915ES may represent only a slight update of the company's recently upgraded (via a free firmware update) VPL-VW885ES"

That little word may, It might be a slight update and it might not be any improvement at all. You can't take that sentence and change it to it is an improvement for sure.
Hi, Mike. I don't usually chime in on matters of syntax, for obvious reasons. But when I look at the plain meaning of that sentence, the word "may" modifies the predicate "only a slight update" and not the verb "represent."

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
Hi, Mike. I don't usually chime in on matters of syntax, for obvious reasons. But when I look at the plain meaning of that sentence, the word "may" modifies the predicate "only a slight update" and not the verb "represent."
Then maybe you should ask Khris what he meant. I already have. Khris told me that it was a definite improvement over the prefirmware 885, but that he had not seen an 885 with the firmware, so he did not know exactly how it would compare.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Then maybe you should ask Khris what he meant. I already have. Khris told me that it was a definite improvement over the prefirmware 885, but that he had not seen an 885 with the firmware, so he did not know exactly how it would compare.
I see. Thanks. Without that information, I mistakenly read that sentence to mean even though it represented only a slight improvement, it was a sizable one over the original from three years earlier.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I think it's Kris. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
You are now deep in semantic obfuscation all to create the impression that that the VW915 does not have improvements over the 885es.

The VW885es was updated with features delivered with the VW995es. Kris has reviewed both the VW885es and the VW995es which is a VW885 with the ARC-F lens and the improved processing that was also made available to the VW885es.

The improvements over the VW995es and VW885es were clearly spelled out in the VW915es review:

1) Improvement in Banding
I'm not completely sure if the new X1 for Projectors processor was directly responsible for other changes I noted compared with my tests of the 885 and 995ES, but there were two areas I found noticeably improved on the 915ES. The first was image contouring (banding), which appeared much better when tested using the Spears & Munsil UHD Benchmark montage, particularly the windmill sequences. Subtle transitions in skies in these sequences created obvious contouring with the other Sony projectors, but the same was barely detectable on the new 915ES. I also found color and white field uniformity—one of my chief complaints with past Sony projectors—to be significantly better.

2) Improvement in contrast with detailed scene contrast measurements

VW995es

VW915es

JVC NX9

3) Improvement in HDR handling
"...Still, when applied properly, the new feature can provide a pretty significant improvement in perceived image quality when viewing HDR content. "

Even without frame adaptive tone mapping, the 915ES delivered HDR images that far surpassed most of what I've seen from many current projectors on the market. Its combination of powerful contrast, rich color, and razor-sharp detail proved anything but disappointing.

4) Lens Focus compared to 885es
"but the lens on the 915 does a great job overall with pixel focus."

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
You are now deep in semantic obfuscation all to create the impression that that the VW915 does not have improvements over the 885es.

The VW885es was updated with features delivered with the VW995es. Kris has reviewed both the VW885es and the VW995es which is a VW885 with the ARC-F lens and the improved processing that was also made available to the VW885es.

The improvements over the VW995es and VW885es were clearly spelled out in the VW915es review:

1) Improvement in Banding
I'm not completely sure if the new X1 for Projectors processor was directly responsible for other changes I noted compared with my tests of the 885 and 995ES, but there were two areas I found noticeably improved on the 915ES. The first was image contouring (banding), which appeared much better when tested using the Spears & Munsil UHD Benchmark montage, particularly the windmill sequences. Subtle transitions in skies in these sequences created obvious contouring with the other Sony projectors, but the same was barely detectable on the new 915ES. I also found color and white field uniformity—one of my chief complaints with past Sony projectors—to be significantly better.

2) Improvement in contrast with detailed scene contrast measurements

VW995es

View attachment 3047788

VW915es
View attachment 3047782

JVC NX9
View attachment 3047783
3) Improvement in HDR handling
"...Still, when applied properly, the new feature can provide a pretty significant improvement in perceived image quality when viewing HDR content. "

Even without frame adaptive tone mapping, the 915ES delivered HDR images that far surpassed most of what I've seen from many current projectors on the market. Its combination of powerful contrast, rich color, and razor-sharp detail proved anything but disappointing.

4) Lens Focus compared to 885es
"but the lens on the 915 does a great job overall with pixel focus."
Not at all. I talked with Kris several times regarding the 915. Kris clearly said it was an improvement over the 885 he reviewed, but Kris said he did not get to see the firmware updated 885. I am not saying that there is not an improvement. Just saying that you can't use that sentence to say that there is an improvement. Kris said he wished he had an 885 there to compare side by side so that he could see exactly what differences there are between the two.

Added
The firmware update did improve the contrast. I doubt the firmware update improved the banding, so that may very well be an improvement to the 915. The HDR may be better on the 915, but would need to compare to an updated 885 to confirm.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I think some people feel burned that the new Sony came out, costs less than the 885es, potentially has improvements, AND it's unlikely that firmware updates will be provided to make the 885es behave exactly like the new model.

I don't love the whole situation, but it doesn't convince me that the new model has identical hardware. That's just pure speculation and I think we should stick to what we know for sure.

Not sure why some find it so hard to believe that the X1 chip inside the new unit is actually an updated piece of hardware capable of more horsepower.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Not at all. I talked with Kris several times regarding the 915. Kris clearly said it was an improvement over the 885 he reviewed, but Kris said he did not get to see the firmware updated 885. I am not saying that there is not an improvement. Just saying that you can't use that sentence to say that there is an improvement. Kris said he wished he had an 885 there to compare side by side so that he could see exactly what differences there are between the two.

Added
The firmware update did improve the contrast. I doubt the firmware update improved the banding, so that may very well be an improvement to the 915. The HDR may be better on the 915, but would need to compare to an updated 885 to confirm.
I might have missed something. Are you suggesting that a firmware updated 885 is better than a 995? Unless you are I am not sure of your point.

A firmware updated 885 is at best as good as a 995, except for lens. Kris' review clearly suggests in the first 3 areas (banding, contrast, HDR) I posted that the 915 was better than the 995! Did Kris not opine recently that unless you had a large screen over 150" to 200" then the ARC-F class lens would not make much difference?

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
I might have missed something. Are you suggesting that a firmware updated 885 is better than a 995? Unless you are I am not sure of your point.

A firmware updated 885 is at best as good as a 995, except for lens. Kris' review clearly suggests in the first 3 areas (banding, contrast, HDR) I posted that the 915 was better than the 995! Did Kris not opine recently that unless you had a large screen over 150" to 200" then the ARC-F class lens would not make much difference?
Yeah, you are definitely missing something. Do you know the difference between a firmware updated 885 and a 915? No, you don't and neither do I. Until someone directly compares the two, we will not know. Yes, I think there are some differences, but until compared, it is an unknown.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts

I, too, wanted to delve deeper into the discussion with Mike, but he's immunized himself from me doing so after pointing out he owns a DLP projector. Just kidding with you, Mike G. 😄

Houston, in all seriousness, that's a really good point you made though. And it would be fun to know how many positives are attributed to the X1 chip alone.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I, too, wanted to delve deeper into the discussion with Mike, but he's immunized himself from me doing so after pointing out he owns a DLP projector. Just kidding with you, Mike G. 😄

Houston, in all seriousness, that's a really good point you made though. And it would be fun to know how many positives are attributed to the X1 chip alone.
Well Sony has clearly said that the new X1 for projectors hardware/software package is new with the VW715/915 line. We know that 2 of the improvements (banding and HDR) are likely strictly processing based.

The scene contrast increases which has been mentioned by almost every reviewer and measured in the sound and vision review is more difficult to place entirely on processing unless there is a detail change at the low level panel digital drive layer, which I would doubt. I would guess more selective binning of the SXRDs?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Well Sony has clearly said that the new X1 for projectors hardware/software package is new with the VW715/915 line. We know that 2 of the improvements (banding and HDR) are likely strictly processing based.

The scene contrast increases which has been mentioned by almost every reviewer and measured in the sound and vision review is more difficult to place entirely on processing unless there is a detail change at the low level panel digital drive layer, which I would doubt. I would guess more selective binning of the SXRDs?
I think at this point, a full A/B with a FW upgraded 885ES will give us plenty of answers.

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
Just to chime in here guys. I stand by my review fully, but there is always stuff that is left out of a review because I write reviews for general readership, not just the tech geeks here at AVS. I definitely saw improvements in areas compared to when I reviewed both the 885 before (pre-firmware update from last year) and the 995. This was mainly in uniformity and banding. For uniformity, there is absolutely no way I could say that this will be the case with all the new projectors because it may have just been a great sample or even a hand picked one (I can never know for sure until I see more of them in the field). Banding was improved for sure though from what I saw.

As for contrast, that could easily be sample variance because I setup and calibrate A LOT of Sony projectors out in the field and see pretty substantial differences in units not only in contrast but also peak brightness. So I don't want anyone to think that just because this unit had great contrast, they all will. My 995ES review unit was really low in peak white (quite a bit lower than the 885 I had reviewed before it), but I've measured quite few that have come in here for calibration or out in the field that were much higher and more in line with the 885 (but I've also measured 885's that were a lot lower than that review unit as well).

The biggest thing I would have liked to have access to for this review would have been a 885ES with the newer firmware. Then I could have done more side by side HDR comparisons of the Contrast Enhancer in the 885 vs the new HDR enhancer in the 915. But because I couldn't do that test, I just had to go on what I was seeing. It was definitely better than the majority of the HDR processing I see in various projectors today, but still quite a step down from the performance I see from the JVCs, IMHO of course.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
~The biggest thing I would have liked to have access to for this review would have been a 885ES with the newer firmware. Then I could have done more side by side HDR comparisons of the Contrast Enhancer in the 885 vs the new HDR enhancer in the 915. But because I couldn't do that test, I just had to go on what I was seeing. It was definitely better than the majority of the HDR processing I see in various projectors today, but still quite a step down from the performance I see from the JVCs, IMHO of course.
good on you kris, I too so wish had access to a firmware updated 760es to compare directly with the 790es for the review. but it is to be and I think have been as clear as can be in the review to say what you have. what is great with yourself is you do get to see a range of machines and spend a bit of time in calibriation which helps as a baseline and perspective to comment from too I think.

2461 - 2480 of 2676 Posts