AVS Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 2676 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,351 Posts
I don't want anyone to think the lens found on the 915ES is bad. It's very, very good. Convergence on my review unit is probably the best I've seen from any Sony projector to date. I had to make one small adjustment and it's now essentially perfect. Pixel delineation is quite good too. As is focus uniformity. See the attached photo of the 915ES.

My NX9 is just a little better at focusing down on pixels. Convergence on my NX9 is not as good as this 915ES. But from a seated distance back you can't see the small deficiency in convergence, so it's a non-issue. It's also a bit difficult to post comparison pictures because the JVC models have better pixel-fill performance. It's to the point where you can't really see much of a pixel grid. The pixels sort of just meld into each other, with almost no black boarder. The Sony's have a more distinct pixel grid upon close inspection.

Do yo have the NX9 eshift on? If not, you should get a very sharp pixel grid just fine on that projector - assuming your screen material is up to the task. The pixel grid is how I actually finish fine focusing any JVC 4K projector we bring in my room. With eshift disabled, the 4K pixel grid on the NX9 was quite visible and sharp here.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I might have missed something. Are you suggesting that a firmware updated 885 is better than a 995? Unless you are I am not sure of your point.

A firmware updated 885 is at best as good as a 995, except for lens. Kris' review clearly suggests in the first 3 areas (banding, contrast, HDR) I posted that the 915 was better than the 995! Did Kris not opine recently that unless you had a large screen over 150" to 200" then the ARC-F class lens would not make much difference?
Not exactly. 885 with firmware update has independent SDR and HDR settings, that the 995 is still missing. Who knows what other differences there is with the processing etc.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Cool thing though, I did the “cross-eyes 3D stereo gram” thing on that photo looking for circles and it worked. No circles, same image but it looks like I’m staring through a deep hole in my screen.

Ah, I see the circles - 16. Takes a bit of staring, but I’m not sure how it relates to tone mapping. Maybe saying that you won’t see it unless you know what you’re looking for?

Hidden patterns in the junctions of the lines, if you draw around the vertical lines you end up with a circle.
Ha ha! Once you do the magic eye trick, you can then see both. You can then see the circles even without doing the staring trick.
Not sure what it has to do with tone mapping however as the image stayed the same brightness and contrast.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
The VW885es was updated with features delivered with the VW995es.
Wrong. The update for the 5000 and the 760/885 added features (still) not on the 870/995.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
You are now deep in semantic obfuscation all to create the impression that that the VW915 does not have improvements over the 885es.

The VW885es was updated with features delivered with the VW995es. Kris has reviewed both the VW885es and the VW995es which is a VW885 with the ARC-F lens and the improved processing that was also made available to the VW885es.

The improvements over the VW995es and VW885es were clearly spelled out in the VW915es review:

1) Improvement in Banding
I'm not completely sure if the new X1 for Projectors processor was directly responsible for other changes I noted compared with my tests of the 885 and 995ES, but there were two areas I found noticeably improved on the 915ES. The first was image contouring (banding), which appeared much better when tested using the Spears & Munsil UHD Benchmark montage, particularly the windmill sequences. Subtle transitions in skies in these sequences created obvious contouring with the other Sony projectors, but the same was barely detectable on the new 915ES. I also found color and white field uniformity—one of my chief complaints with past Sony projectors—to be significantly better.

2) Improvement in contrast with detailed scene contrast measurements

VW995es

View attachment 3047788

VW915es
View attachment 3047782

JVC NX9
View attachment 3047783
3) Improvement in HDR handling
"...Still, when applied properly, the new feature can provide a pretty significant improvement in perceived image quality when viewing HDR content. "

Even without frame adaptive tone mapping, the 915ES delivered HDR images that far surpassed most of what I've seen from many current projectors on the market. Its combination of powerful contrast, rich color, and razor-sharp detail proved anything but disappointing.

4) Lens Focus compared to 885es
"but the lens on the 915 does a great job overall with pixel focus."
Also, you keep conveniently omitting that the whole review was based on a 2017 8.001/2 firmware based 885 in comparison to a 915, not a 2019 8.102 firmware based 885.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Not at all. I talked with Kris several times regarding the 915. Kris clearly said it was an improvement over the 885 he reviewed, but Kris said he did not get to see the firmware updated 885. I am not saying that there is not an improvement. Just saying that you can't use that sentence to say that there is an improvement. Kris said he wished he had an 885 there to compare side by side so that he could see exactly what differences there are between the two.

Added
The firmware update did improve the contrast. I doubt the firmware update improved the banding, so that may very well be an improvement to the 915. The HDR may be better on the 915, but would need to compare to an updated 885 to confirm.
Well, I don't see this HDR 'banding' mentioned, so I am sticking to my theory. :)

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I might have missed something. Are you suggesting that a firmware updated 885 is better than a 995? Unless you are I am not sure of your point.

A firmware updated 885 is at best as good as a 995, except for lens
. Kris' review clearly suggests in the first 3 areas (banding, contrast, HDR) I posted that the 915 was better than the 995! Did Kris not opine recently that unless you had a large screen over 150" to 200" then the ARC-F class lens would not make much difference?
I am not sure how you read that into Mike's statement.

No. except for the lens, the 885 is currently BETTER than the 995. Again, the review was against a 2017 vintage 885 not a 2019 updated one.
I see nothing in the reviews, images and videos of 915's that betters what I see.
When I see one in person I expect to be wowed in the same way as I am when I use my 760.

The 790 is a great projector. It is simply not 'new' that is all. It is merely marginally improved.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Well Sony has clearly said that the new X1 for projectors hardware/software package is new with the VW715/915 line. We know that 2 of the improvements (banding and HDR) are likely strictly processing based.

The scene contrast increases which has been mentioned by almost every reviewer and measured in the sound and vision review is more difficult to place entirely on processing unless there is a detail change at the low level panel digital drive layer, which I would doubt. I would guess more selective binning of the SXRDs?
The Contrast Enhancer on the 885 does the SAME thing. Clue is in the name. ;)

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
good on you kris, I too so wish had access to a firmware updated 760es to compare directly with the 790es for the review. but it is to be and I think have been as clear as can be in the review to say what you have. what is great with yourself is you do get to see a range of machines and spend a bit of time in calibriation which helps as a baseline and perspective to comment from too I think.
Well, Sony say it is new and the 760 will soon be discontinued, so it is essentially meaningless for new purchasers if it is better than the 760 or not.
It will certainly be no worse, which is the main thing. :)

Reactions: alebonau

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Not exactly. 885 with firmware update has independent SDR and HDR settings, that the 995 is still missing. Who knows what other differences there is with the processing etc.
Excatamondo!

·
Registered
923 Posts
The 885ES firmware update definitely did something that lowered black level as that was immediately noticeable. That said, this comment of Kris' is spot on. Not only do I see peak white vary by session but I also see black level change. And, in the same calibration session with DD Off, I can measure PW move from 90 to 86 nits and black level shift from 0.0058 to 0.0065 to 0.013 and then come back to 0.009. The PW change is not noticeable; the change in black level is definitely noticeable. This was both before and after my optical block was replaced. All these pjs have foibles but the variability and drift on the Sony's is one thing I wish they would improve upon in their new units.
As for contrast, that could easily be sample variance because I setup and calibrate A LOT of Sony projectors out in the field and see pretty substantial differences in units not only in contrast but also peak brightness. So I don't want anyone to think that just because this unit had great contrast, they all will. My 995ES review unit was really low in peak white (quite a bit lower than the 885 I had reviewed before it), but I've measured quite few that have come in here for calibration or out in the field that were much higher and more in line with the 885 (but I've also measured 885's that were a lot lower than that review unit as well).

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
The 885ES firmware update definitely did something that lowered black level as that was immediately noticeable. That said, this comment of Kris' is spot on. Not only do I see peak white vary by session but I also see black level change. And, in the same calibration session with DD Off, I can measure PW move from 90 to 86 nits and black level shift from 0.0058 to 0.0065 to 0.013 and then come back to 0.009. The PW change is not noticeable; the change in black level is definitely noticeable. This was both before and after my optical block was replaced. All these pjs have foibles but the variability and drift on the Sony's is one thing I wish they would improve upon in their new units.
When you say 'vary by session' what do you mean please?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
... I definitely saw improvements in areas compared to when I reviewed both the 885 before (pre-firmware update from last year) and the 995...
Thanks for reinforcing the clear and obvious conclusions from your excellent review. Well at least the conversation has turned back to one of the new projectors in 2020!

I am sure you remember back in the day Greg Rogers of WSR would take a few hours on this forum to do a Q/A after publishing his reviews. Given that you have (IMO) assumed his Dean of Reviewers status, perhaps you should consider doing something similar?

I have to chuckle at the latest firmware 885es red herring. That has been in the wild for some time. I am sure folks can read the VW885es thread for owner reviews!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do yo have the NX9 eshift on? If not, you should get a very sharp pixel grid just fine on that projector - assuming your screen material is up to the task. The pixel grid is how I actually finish fine focusing any JVC 4K projector we bring in my room. With eshift disabled, the 4K pixel grid on the NX9 was quite visible and sharp here.
Mark, yes e-shift was off. I didn't say there was no visible pixel structure, just that it's less visible than the pixel grid you get on the .74" 4K SXRD models. Better pixel fill over the 1080p panels is something JVC went over with us when they released these new projectors last year. Pixel pitch has been improved over the 1080p panels too. I think this makes sense when you factor in that JVC has packed the same number of pixels into a smaller area versus Sony's approach. But SXRD is still better than DLP and 3LCD in this area.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Mainly when re-truing gamma or when profiling before generating a 3DLUT. Easily measurable when doing this (numbers I referred to). Sometimes when viewing-- something in a series we are binging looks a little more "contrasty" than I think it should and sure 'nuf it is often that gamma has moved.
When you say 'vary by session' what do you mean please?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I think some people feel burned that the new Sony came out, costs less than the 885es, potentially has improvements, AND it's unlikely that firmware updates will be provided to make the 885es behave exactly like the new model.

I don't love the whole situation, but it doesn't convince me that the new model has identical hardware. That's just pure speculation and I think we should stick to what we know for sure.

Not sure why some find it so hard to believe that the X1 chip inside the new unit is actually an updated piece of hardware capable of more horsepower.
Have you seen the eye candy thread? I have no reason to feel 'burned' myself as my 760 performs so very very well.
I am just concerned that Sony seem to have fallen back in to 'not a lot extra going on here' mode.

Although cheaper prices are always welcome, they had ZERO reason to make the 790 cheaper, especially if they had real new hardware.
I can't imagine the QC will stay improved for long with the slimmed down margins.
The reason this machine has come out and is cheaper, is to make it look like progress is happening whereas in fact it is a minor software refinement tweak and a new name for a function, so they have some breathing space to come up with something better down the road.
Fine. I don't mind, but it is all too quick and convenient in the face of the HUGE march JVC stole on them.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I, too, wanted to delve deeper into the discussion with Mike, but he's immunized himself from me doing so after pointing out he owns a DLP projector. Just kidding with you, Mike G. 😄

Houston, in all seriousness, that's a really good point you made though. And it would be fun to know how many positives are attributed to the X1 chip alone.
Ahhhhhh!
The X1 is not a differentiator in this case. Some will say it is as no mention of it is made in the older models marketing, but it IS there.
That chip is in some of their cheapest TVs and is also in the 270, 570, 760 and 870. Possibly 5000 as well.
I have just spent less than 1000 of Her Majesty's sovereigns on a TV with the X1 Ultimate chip in it.
Why on earth can something that can go in such a relatively cheap TV not go in all their projectors? Strange.

Reactions: markmon1

·
Registered
29,975 Posts
Ahhhhhh!
The X1 is not a differentiator in this case. Some will say it is as no mention of it is made in the older models marketing, but it IS there.
That chip is in some of their cheapest TVs and is also in the 270, 570, 760 and 870. Possibly 5000 as well.
I have just spent less than 1000 of her Majesty's sovereigns on a TV with the X1 Ultimate chip in it.
Why on earth can something that can go in such a relatively cheap TV not go in all their projectors? Strange.
It is like the TV division views the projector division as competition, so they do not want to share. :(

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
It is like the TV division views the projector division as competition, so they do not want to share. :(
Yes, it is most peculiar.
The chips themselves must cost peanuts and all be as cheap as each other. If I was Sony I would simply stick the very best chip in everything and use software to differentiate.
Must be cheaper in the long run...?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Ahhhhhh!
I have just spent less than 1000 of Her Majesty's sovereigns on a TV with the X1 Ultimate chip in it.
Again, you're speculating. All the Sony literature and communication says the "X1 For Projectors" is a different chip than what they use in TVs, etc.

2481 - 2500 of 2676 Posts