AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Digital projectors will have to get above 1280x1024, with 1000:1 contrast ratio before will touch them. For example, i am usinga 17" monitor right now, runningat 1024x768... from about 6.5 feet away. i can see the pixels on a good LCD unit, with a 7 foot diagonal image, from 12 feet away, of course. I have to shrink the image down to 3.5 feet or so from that distance before it finally hits my threshold.

This is why I am using a totally whacked CRT set-up, running at 1800x1200 for DVD use. The scaling and interpolation really smooths out the DVD's to a very large degree. Exceedingly three-dimensional.

Untill digital PJ's hit that mark, Ill be staying with what I have.

Not saying I ain't payng attention, tho'! I just ain't holding my breath.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

·
Registered
415 Posts
On the Hitachi CP-SX5500W... Are you sure this is a DILA projector? The press release says "featuring Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCOS) and Hitachi's progressive scan technologies" -- doesn't say anything about DILA or licensed technology from JVC. That said it does sound like an interesting projector -- if anyone has a chance to see this at INFOCOM please report!

·
Registered
33 Posts
It doesn't specifically say Dila, but the IMHO the stated resolution does. And it has DVI connections. This is one I'd love to get feedback on from the folks going.

------------------

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
260 Posts
DILA = LCOS

it is like saying a SONY trinitron is a CRT.

DILA is just a brand name from JVC with a trademark on it just like DLP is from TI. What if another manufacturer builds the same technology? It can not name it that name since it is trademarked. So to say it in another way IMO LCOS should be the name of the projector technology since it is not trademarked. SO the forum name should actually be DLP, LCD and LCOS Projectors.

Kjelt

·
Registered
55 Posts
The specifications of the Hitachi LCOS projector look similar to the JVC G15 except that the Hitachi seems a lot smaller and has an anticipated MSRP of $8995 vs. $12,995 for the JVC. Is the main difference between the two projectors that the Hitachi is HDTV "Ready" while the JVC G15 is capable of showing HDTV without purchasing a decoder or receiver? If that is the main difference, would it cost $5,000 more to make the Hitachi capable of showing HDTV?

Jim

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Oh! Excuse us your Majesty King KBK for distrubing your CRT Kingdom...snob.

Digital projectors are good enough for people who don't have the money or want to bother with the many problems of having a CRT.

Also, I have an 8' wide image from 11' and no pixels visible so unless your are Superman I don't see the reason for such childish commentary.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena:
Oh! Excuse us your Majesty King KBK for distrubing your CRT Kingdom...snob.

Digital projectors are good enough for people who don't have the money or want to bother with the many problems of having a CRT.

Also, I have an 8' wide image from 11' and no pixels visible so unless your are Superman I don't see the reason for such childish commentary.
Way to go Luis!

Concerning digital technology, I am surprised that there hasn't been much talk about the relatively new Dwin DLP projector. I have not seen this projector myself, but the word I here from two dealers that I trust is that it gives CRT real competition straight up. Its a little pricey for me at 15k, but then again so are CRTs.

John Moschella

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Hitachi 5500 sounds very interesting. If this uses the JVC chip, it might be what we were hoping for in JVC's 3010: high resolution and fill (no screendoor), but quieter (36db) and less expensive to operate (assuming it isn't using a Xenon lamp).

I've been waiting months for the new HD capable projectors to arrive and was about to jump for the Sanyo. This gives me pause...

Looking forward to reports from InfoComm. But then, evaluating projectors in a show environment is very, very difficult.

Frank L

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am pretty sure they are using the SXGA+ DILA chip that JVC is OEM-ing to other manufacturers. It is smaller than the SXGA chip used in the JVC machines. The question is, how good will the contrast ratio be. If it is only 200:1 it might not be that impressive. If it is at least 350:1 then it sounds like a great deal. But then we have the new improved DLPs on the way. Anything you can buy is obsolete as something better is always around the corner.

Christopher

·
Premium Member
25,539 Posts
"Is the main difference between the two projectors that the Hitachi is HDTV "Ready" while the JVC G15 is capable of showing HDTV without purchasing a decoder or receiver?"

These are the same thing. HDTV Ready means it will accept and display an HD signal, but doen't include a digital tuner to receive it.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
111 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for the note on the likely use of JVC's smaller SXGA+ OEM chip in the Hitachi 5500. Yes, contrast and black level (and internal scaler) are what I'm waiting about.

As for the near-term obsolescence of any newly delivered product, well, I've spent my career in computing so that's pretty familiar.

The question is always what feature(s) will make a qualitative (stair-step) change in the experience. The answer for me is the move to true HD resolutions as we get enough HD broadcasts in the San Francisco bay area to make up a substantial portion of our viewing. So I've been waiting for projectors with a minimum of 720x1280 pixels and an adequate black level to support HD's 3D-like images. And that resolution also helps reduce pixel visibility on large screens too. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

I haven't been too keen on DLP due to "rainbows" - I'm very susceptible to screen flicker - but perhaps refresh rates > 225 (75Hz * 3 colors) will take care of that...

In the mean time, I'm tired of waiting...

Frank

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
D-ILA and LCOS are synonymous, D-ILA being the JVC tradname,

LCOS - Liquid Crystal on Silicon being the generic name.

DLP is the Texas Instruments tradename, while

MMD - Micro Mirror Device is the generic name.

That 1365 X 1024 native resolution is the same as the

JVC 0.9 inch SXGA+ chip found in the JVC badged projectors.

If memory serves, in reading JVC's literature, the new

0.7 inch SXGA+ chip has a different pixel structure than

the 0.9 inch chip. Hitachi may be using the same 0.9 inch

chip that the JVCs use - not the smaller one.

If I recall, Hitachi's "progressive scan technology"

is a way of utilizing a single LCOS chip instead of the

3 chips in a JVC unit. The different colors are

progressively scanned across the chip in lieu of a color

wheel as used in 1 chip DLP units - but is functionally

equivalent.

It would also be nice to know what type of lamp the

Hitachi uses. If they use Xenon like JVC, then they have

the same nice high color temperature - but have the same

cooling problems as a JVC. If they use a cooler lamp

technology - as JVC does in the DS1 [ formerly 3010Z ],

the lamp is easier to cool, but you sacrifice the nice

high color temperature. [ The moral of that story is that

there's no free lunch. ]

Greg

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
The contrast ratio on the Hitachi is absent and I think that it is for good reason. If you have something to brag about you usually do. Don't expect more than 400:1 out of this guy if it is even that high.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hehehhee.. hope KBK doesn't start a flame war....

But I think the best is actually to have two displays. A smaller crystal clear (Maybe not a 17" display! hahahaha) CRT AND a Projector. This way you don't have to break your bank account with a crazily expensive Plasma display, or a 40" CRT Computer monitor. Plus you can watch Weakest Link or Survivor on it without fear of a huge $400+ projector bulb bill.
http://www.klutzoplex.f2s.com/piccies/piccies.htm

------------------
Klutzo,

the newbie HT Boy.

BA mains, Energy surrounds and sub.

Proxima DX3 main FP

Sharpvision Backup FP

Sony Wega aux monitor

Dalite 2.8 Gain screen

Sega Dreamcast (various controllers)

Please, feel free to visit the klutzoplex! Click the link below. => www.klutzoplex.f2s.com

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks, Noah and Morbius, for answering some questions that made me wonder whether the recent JVC G15 power buy was all that powerful at $9400 in comparison to the new Hitachi at a projected MSRP of $8,995. I guess it was for the people who signed on--no waiting, JVC pedigree, etc--but the Hitachi may have an interesting street price in the not-too-distant future.

Jim

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
IMHO KBK

Usually has good points to be made of interest to many.Yes he is a CRT advocate who dares to comment on this category,thats as it should be.At least he was factual with no name calling,if he is to be rebutted let the reasons speak for themselves.I notice Dean M for one tries very hard for a balanced response,having owned both.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Ron

"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!"

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Jim,

With the more moderately priced Hitachi - and the

expectation of even lower street prices - JVC may not

be far behind.

But I don't think you are going to see Hitachi come into

the market and wipe the floor with JVC competition-wise.

After all; it's JVC's technology - they aren't going to

enable Hitachi to seriously undercut them.

Ultimately, I think the developer of the technology will

have the advantage, if any.

Greg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.