AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Audio Pack Rat
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1299 and rack project almost complete

Well the front baffle kinda gives half of the project away.

Holy dust bunnies batman! I had no idea the rack was that dusty!

I was going to start cutting some MDF today but with outside temps around 95 degrees I think I will pass for now :(

Attachments

· Premium Member
6,593 Posts
premeditated awesomeness?

Reactions: sealmaniac

· Audio Pack Rat
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1299's? sweet!
Also going to replace the aluminum colored 8020 verticals on the stereo rack with black ones to kind of finish out the "black" theme up front.
Oh and it is only one 1299 to replace the Fusion center.

Reactions: Trimlock

· Audio Pack Rat
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well after 3+ months of working on this project 10 minutes at a time it is almost complete! The paint for the 1299 is going to have to wait for now as I really dislike painting in general.

Here are some observations I made during this project.

1. You need to measure and double/triple check your cut lines ACTUAL length before actually cutting anything.
2. Unless you have a properly setup table saw (of which I have neither) and actually know how to use it, you MUST use factory edge corners as the basis for your initial measurements. If you are using scraps pieces then make sure you start with a true squared corner or suffer the consequences .:crying:
1. and 2. should be second nature for me at this point but with as many times as I continue screwing it up I guess I am hopeless! :eek::eek:

3. When reconnecting your audio components something will almost positively become loose (or was not connected correctly ) and will not be discovered until after you have the rack in its final resting place.:mad: At that point you will attempt to become a contortionist in order to remedy the problem without having to pull the rack back away from the wall! It usually doesn't work and you pull the rack back out anyway! Test EVERYTHING prior to placing the rack in its final spot.

4. Sometimes number 3 actually isn't your fault! After putting the rack in its final resting place my XMC-1 decided to do its biannual holy sh#t I forgot how to work routine. The sub 2 output was not outputting any signal even though it did 5 minutes prior to this. This brought about the attempted contortionist routine to discover where my usual negligence reared its ugly head this time. So after laying in an unorthodox position that no sane gymnast would attempt I pulled the rack back out. Everything was hooked up correctly so I did what any computer person knows..... do a hard reboot ! Yes it worked!

So after placing the rack back in its final resting place yet again and doing some testing it was very apparent that the 1299 was a more sensitive speaker by about 3.5 DB's according to how much I reduced the center gain. At this point my XMC-1 decided to just get its second biannual screw up out of the way. I had a CD playing at about -40 db when in the setup menu when the XMC-1 said hey fu&k with him and proceeded to ramp the volume up to probably about max before I was able to hit the power off button! So after about 3 or so power offs due to the same issue..... yes you guessed it.....hard reboot for the win!

5. Somehow despite following observation number 1 and 2 religiously sh$t still happens. Even though I had measured the TV height and rack height multiple times over the last 3 months in order to determine the new black 8020 rack legs and came up with the same number every time it was somehow frigging WRONG. If you look closely in the pic you can make out that the center channel actually obscures about 5/8 of an inch of the bottom of the TV screen, not the bezel but the screen!

Cutting 8020 with a skil saw can be done with the proper (40-60 tooth carbide) blade , however if you want good clean square cuts you should make a jig to keep the saws table aligned square to the piece.
Better yet use a chop saw, table saw or band saw!

In spite of all of this I really like the way the black legs look compared to the older aluminum colored ones.
Also the 1299 center is just wonderful sounding. A definite upgrade to the fusion center which was an upgrade from the old Klipsch RC64ii.

· Audio Pack Rat
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pics! where are the pics?

Attachments

· Audio Pack Rat
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay it took long enough but here it is all painted up!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.