AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Models 3001A/B is already in stores:

Quote:
Earlier this year a mysterious FCC filing by Sony revealed new PS3 models labeled CECH-3001A/B. Previously manufactured PS3s were labeled as part of the CECH 2xxx series, but the new generation of PS3s have begun shipping to customers and these new models come with some changes that help the consumer.

Customers have started receiving these new PS3 units and have taken note of some changes they have noticed over their previous models, some of which include: A black trim below the disc drive, LEDs have been removed on the system except for the HDD indicator, and the system appears to run much quieter when compared to the CECH-2xxx series. These new slims also use less energy than previous models -- additional details can be found here.

Amazon began shipping the new generation PS3 earlier this week to customers -- so if you ordered recently you may have a new model. As we reported last week, Sony posted images of, what appeared to be, the CECH 3000-B model from Japan. If you are in the market for a new PS3, now is fine a time to purchase one of the newer models, though there is a chance Sony may announce a price drop during Gamescom later this month.

Some peeps at NeoGAF have gotten theirs and they echo the article by saying it is a lot quieter and cooler to the touch than the last Slim model (since it uses less energy to run than before).

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I would expect Sony to make each iteration better with respect to cooling and power, not worse. But the Internets is full of Chicken Littles, we have are share here.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for posting this. People in the other thread were making me worried. This is why we shouldn't speculate until... umm, maybe the darn thing is actually released!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 /forum/post/20798333

wonder if it has HDMI 1.4 for 3D and full bitstreaming

That would be a reason for people to upgrade. Making the PS3 a complete 3D system would be smart on their part. As long as it doesn't add a lot to the cost, I would think this is a done deal.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What you see is what you get. There are no additional features other than what's been mentioned.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow
Models 3001A/B is already in stores:

Some peeps at NeoGAF have gotten theirs and they echo the article by saying it is a lot quieter and cooler to the touch than the last Slim model (since it uses less energy to run than before).
I'd like to see confirmation on that one, with tests. 50W isn't that much, and unless they guys are measuring, I doubt they're right.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
People who have it already are also saying those annoying popping noises from the PS3 plastic casing is gone. The new model doesn't pop.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII
I'd like to see confirmation on that one, with tests. 50W isn't that much, and unless they guys are measuring, I doubt they're right.
It's not just the lower power - the machine is lighter and probably has other layout improvements to improve airflow/cooling. It's been out in Japan for awhile too, so I'm sure some of these media reports of it running cooler/quieter were known from that.

Also, a couple of NeoGAF owners are saying similar things about it. Here are a few comments from that thread ; it's the only "testing" that I could find:

Quote:
Ambient temp in the room is 79 to 80 F

Running Uncharted 2 now have been running background downloads and blu-rays

Fan noise remains un changed, is definitely not louder then the 2501-A (at least to my ears and I am putting my head right next to the system) sound is different though like I said earlier its more of a humm where the older fan was a shhh/whoosh type sound.

Also the system is a good deal cooler to the touch in the middle and rear of the console then the 2501-A I have.
Quote:
I can concur with my experience as well thus far including ambient temp in the room (I live in a 3rd story apartment in Germany)
At the very minimum, no one is complaining of heat or noise, so those areas appear not be issues at all.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/20799300

That would be a reason for people to upgrade. Making the PS3 a complete 3D system would be smart on their part. As long as it doesn't add a lot to the cost, I would think this is a done deal.

Added no cost, even our existing PS3s got it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts