AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just got rid of my satellite (*sniff* I loved my dual HD PVR) because I bought a condo without a balcony.

I was planning on getting the following:

Gigabyte mATX 785G DDR3 mobo

4GB DDR3 1600

Athlon II 245 AM3

Some mATX case (antec fusion? or low-profile antec minuet 380)

But now they announced a new, slimmer PS3 for $300 soming at the end of the month. I want to be able to play downloaded video files such as AVI, MKV (I heard this is not natively supported, but you can convert the files easily for use on the PS3), divx, blu-ray rips, etc etc, mostly streamed from my desktop over the network.

So, my question is, what do I do? Would the PS3 be significantly less capable than the dedicated HTPC?

Thanks!

Schmitty

·
Registered
885 Posts
A PC can do so much more than a PS3. The software it can run is endless. However, it cannot run PS3 games. Frankly, that would be the only reason I would choose a PS3, if I were to (hypothetically) want to play PS3 games.

If money is an issue, you could put together a decent PC for less than $300.

Used 780G .... $35

Used dual core ... $30

New ram.... $30

Blu ray ... $60

hard drive ... $40

black friday case... $30

OS .... 0

I'm sure I could do it for even less, but these are shipped prices if one is merely patient.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The PS3:

- Better BR player

- Plays games

- Allows voice and webcam access to people on your network. (I've never used a camera on it)

- Streams via network

- Has the PSN Store for movie and game downloads (for a price)

- Extra storage via USB drives

- Plays music and shows pictures

- Can stream some web media (if you can set it up)

HTPC:

(fill in the blanks)

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
I have a PS3 (and Xbox360) and used it quite often as a media player connected to a low end NAS (Linksys SLUG). I later upgraded the NAS to an Atom based network server running PS3 Media Server. After getting fed up with the PS3's limitations playing .mkv files either transcoded or converted to .vob, such as the annoying lack of reliable ffw and resume, I built a proper HTPC.

Now my PS3 rarely gets turned on. I've thought about selling my PS3, but I wouldn't get much out of it and as of yesterday I would get $100 less than that... I'll just keep it in case I find time to play some exclusive games.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The Ps3 is no rival to an HTPC - that's for sure.

Except for ps3 games (obviously), even my old XP HTPCs did almost everything the PS3 did and 100 times better - for hundreds of dollars less.

There's simply no comparison between an HTPC and a PS3 - 2 different beasts, despite Sony trying to hype their beast as the media center hub of your living room.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've only tried the media server feature once. I was able to run some pictures from a PC but I don't think I got any video to run. Bu then again, I can't get this to happen between my PCs anyway. I suck at that sharing stuff.

Some have setup those features up and there is a section for it in the PlayStation forums if you want to take a look. But I use mine for playing games and a movie from time to time if the BR drive in my HTPC gives me problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm....I was considering it because I don't have a BD-ROM, but perhaps I will be better off with a HTPC instead as I doubt I will want to spend the money on PS3 games or BDs.

Thanks all.... HTPC is it!

·
Registered
443 Posts
A word of caution. BR playing on an HTPC is not without it's problems. I recently was watching True Blood and had all kinds of problems between chapters. Locks ups, looping, having to use ctrl+alt+ del. But it played fine in the PS3.

Search through some of the topics and find out more from others experiences. The BR drive alone can cost you about 1/3 the Slim PS3s price depending on the name brand, features, etc.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark /forum/post/17030144

PlayOn streams very well to the PS3...

For SD stuff it's not bad, but if you want to transcode HD video, you're going to need a pretty beefy server and there will be noticeable quality loss. I can't find any information either way on whether or not it supports 7.1 audio, but I'd guess not. The sad thing is that the PS3 is technically more than capable of being the ultimate HTPC / streaming media player, but Sony intentionally cripples it's features because that's just what Sony does. It's just so short-sighted and pointless.

Luckily some clever hackers are only a few days-to-weeks away from releasing a total Xbox 360 hack that will allow use of both the CPU and GPU for homebrew applications ( demo ). Once XBMC is properly optimized, we'll finally have a top-of-the-line media player like we had with the original Xbox 6 years ago.

If you don't want to wait for the hack (or hack your Xbox at all), then a HTPC is definitely the better option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts