AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a old phat PS3 before and recently got the new Slim with the InFamous 2 bundle. Seems to run fine, but when I put in a DVD, it makes a loud fan like noise for maybe 3-5 seconds and then quiets down and runs fine. It doesn't seem like a big issue, but i don't want to take a chance. So is this somewhat normal? Seems to happen only with DVDs, some DVDs. Have not had this problem with any games.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill G 1960 /forum/post/20883144

I had a old phat PS3 before and recently got the new Slim with the InFamous 2 bundle. Seems to run fine, but when I put in a DVD, it makes a loud fan like noise for maybe 3-5 seconds and then quiets down and runs fine. It doesn't seem like a big issue, but i don't want to take a chance. So is this somewhat normal? Seems to happen only with DVDs, some DVDs. Have not had this problem with any games.

Not all DVD discs are manufactured that is "balanced" throughout the disc. I have seen some DVD movie discs make noise when played on X360 and PS3. I generally try to avoid playing such DVD discs as the discs vibrate too much when spinning in the drive because the laser lens is so close to the disc.

As for PS3 model 3000, I don't know if the newer Blu-ray drive is more sensitive to unbalanced DVD disc. The Blu-ray drive appears to have been changed from the pictures I saw on the internal PS3 parts.

I hope Blu-ray disc quality doesn't go down to far that the disc also makes noise when spinning in the drive because the laser lens is even closer when reading Blu-ray disc than DVD disc.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I noticed the older slim does this too. Never noticed it until I happened to be near it, powered it on manually, and found that a dvd was still in the drive. After that, I noticed it makes this noise every time a dvd in first inserted.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
did you lube?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts