AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
money on this thread falling off the front page in 24 hours and whiney people still complaining that they won't buy a PS3 until it supports this feature.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse /forum/post/17038282

OMG, this will make it sound tenelevntybazillion times better.

Yep, the "TrueHD" and "DTS Master Audio" lights that light up on your reciever make it sound better. Without those lights it sounds like crap.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. /forum/post/17038652

Yep, the "TrueHD" and "DTS Master Audio" lights that light up on your reciever make it sound better. Without those lights it sounds like crap.

This is AVS....

We have people in the BD section arguing that the visual fidelity of a movie is different then what they saw in the theater 30 years ago...

·
Registered
3,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. /forum/post/17038652

/agree. Another FACT: Your car will run better after it's washed. Turning up the stereo works too.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I currently have ps3 fat hooked up to an onkyo tx-sr506. the AVR does not upport HDMI audio, so I am using optical out for sound. I know I'm not getting the HD audio codecs which is unfortunate. A new AVR is an eventuality.

Any benefit to the new slim unit soundwise over my current one? Would I gain anything by selling my current unit and getting a slim?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Without any fanfare or even a passing mention in its official announcement, the upcoming slim PS3 is getting an additional feature, one long requested by those who use the console as a Blu-ray player: it will be capable of bitstreaming DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD to a compatible receiver for it to decode those advanced audio signals.

This has been revealed by Engadget, quoting a story posted on Japanese electronics site AV Watch.

The regular PS3 can't bitstream advanced audio codecs because its HDMI transmitter chip doesn't support it. Therefore, unlike the addition of DTS-HD decoding or BD-Live support, a new firmware cannot add advanced audio bitstreaming to existing consoles.

It has been long argued that there is no difference between decoding an advanced audio signal on the player or on the receiver, provided they both follow the specification. However, many users insisted they wanted to decode in their receivers and were unhappy that the PS3 didn't offer them that option. Now, with the slim PS3, they can choose whether to decode in the console or in the receiver.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412 /forum/post/17038793

I currently have ps3 fat hooked up to an onkyo tx-sr506. the AVR does not upport HDMI audio, so I am using optical out for sound. I know I'm not getting the HD audio codecs which is unfortunate. A new AVR is an eventuality.

Any benefit to the new slim unit soundwise over my current one? Would I gain anything by selling my current unit and getting a slim?

Depends on what you use it for. If you're into backwards compatibility for games you won't get it with the slim. Like putting another OS (Linux) on your ps3? Slim won't let ya.

Same blu-ray playback, better sound support, bigger HDD with the slim. And if you haven't heard, its slimmer, and cheaper.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
yeah I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I only use it for BR. It was a gift, but I wanted it because at the time it had the least problems and was pretty much the best BR pl;ayer out there.

My question really is, would I get any benifits as to sound with it? Will I be able to get HD audio now? My AVR cannot decode HD audio, so can the new ps3 slim now do the decoding and pass it straight to the AVR?

Sorry if I sould like an idiot. I get a little confused on the audio side of HD

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412 /forum/post/17038928

yeah I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I only use it for BR. It was a gift, but I wanted it because at the time it had the least problems and was pretty much the best BR pl;ayer out there.

My question really is, would I get any benifits as to sound with it? Will I be able to get HD audio now? My AVR cannot decode HD audio, so can the new ps3 slim now do the decoding and pass it straight to the AVR?

Bitstreaming won't benefit you in any way. Ps3 already does all the decoding and passes the audio to your AVR. So there is no need for a slim.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412 /forum/post/17038928

If your AVR doesn't support audio over hdmi (or doesn't have hdmi), then the only other way you could get the hd audio would be with analog outs, which of course the ps3 doesn't have either. Optical audio cables are not capable of carrying the hd audio. So you pretty much have to get a new avr for the lossless audio formats. Sound right to everybody?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Ok thanks.

yeah I've been eying a new AVR.....Tho I'm thinking I might be better off just selling the ps3 (i dont own a single game for it) and getting a stand alone unit.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrantii /forum/post/17038669

this is avs....

We have people in the bd section arguing that the visual fidelity of a movie is different then what they saw in the theater 30 years ago...

lmao!!!!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.