AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new PS4 pro, well it was used but only 6 months old he said and he bought it new, right out of the box it was louder than my orignal one at its worst, and the fans randomly spike up in short burst during random times, I popped off the fan cover and cleaned it out however it was 90% clean in there.

i had thé orignal ps4 for years before I opened it up and it was WAYY dirtier and in a less ventilated space than my pro is, and the orignal one never had the trouble my pro has daily, after I deep cleaned my orignal it ran 10x quiter than my pro does w a visually clean fan w just one cover off.

yesterday my PS4 told me to turn it off as it was too hot, so this thing is newer supposedly more powerful, in a better ventilated space than my orignal, looks clean in the fan part as far as I can tell, but apparently can’t even function as well as my old orignal thag took a beating? Any ideas?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I run mine with the top off....totally quite. Ymmv. I would however look to see, as the post above asks about the stickers. If someone tampered with the heatsink that would be whats wrong with yours. Thermal paste/tape need to be applied correctly.
If it has been opened, there are several vids on utube that detail that. Still an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
When you say you cleaned fan, are you talking just the fan itself. The unit draws air from the fan through a chute that houses the heatsink. The heatsink needs to be cleaned on the output side of the heatsink too.
I bought a used one about 4 month ago. Ran like a jet. Removed top cover and under cover I believe. Cleaned each fan blade with qtips dampened with alcohol. Both sides and walls of fan enclosure. It was very dirty on output side of heatsink as well. Back together and almost dead silent. If your not cleaning the blades of fan to shiny new then they are dragging around a lot of additional weight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say you cleaned fan, are you talking just the fan itself. The unit draws air from the fan through a chute that houses the heatsink. The heatsink needs to be cleaned on the output side of the heatsink too.
I bought a used one about 4 month ago. Ran like a jet. Removed top cover and under cover I believe. Cleaned each fan blade with qtips dampened with alcohol. Both sides and walls of fan enclosure. It was very dirty on output side of heatsink as well. Back together and almost dead silent. If your not cleaning the blades of fan to shiny new then they are dragging around a lot of additional weight.
On thé ps4 pro you can just pop the top cover off and you have access to the fan right away which I did and it was already basically clean but I cleaned it anyway

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you check the tamper proof stickers since you purchased it used? Never know what somebody has done to a console before they sell it.
I checked the tamper proof stickers they both appear to still be covered on the back of my pro

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve also noticed I have a CUH-7215B which I was lead to belive is supposed to be the quiet one of the pros..., not the loudest..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I run mine with the top off....totally quite. Ymmv. I would however look to see, as the post above asks about the stickers. If someone tampered with the heatsink that would be whats wrong with yours. Thermal paste/tape need to be applied correctly.
If it has been opened, there are several vids on utube that detail that. Still an easy fix.
I did this fix successfully to my old orignal PS4 and would be fine with doing it to the pro as well, but the pro is louder than my orignal was after 4 years of use with no maintenance, and it’s only a few months old and looks clean, so I can’t see it needing that so much quicker than my old one right?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If your only cleaning the fan your doing half the job. Google how to clean ps4 pro. The fan is only one step accessed from top. You need to get to the heatsink too. Up to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your only cleaning the fan your doing half the job. Google how to clean ps4 pro. The fan is only one step accessed from top. You need to get to the heatsink too. Up to you.
Yes i am aware of this, however as I said the fan was hardly even dirty at all, so I can’t expect the heat sink to be all that dirty, my 4 year old PS4 went years with a dirty fan and 1 was never as loud 2 never overheated and told me to shut it off, so if cleaning heat sink is all I can do I’ll give it a shot, but I’m really wondering how it’s even possible that this thing needs that being only 6 months old AND it’s supposed to be the superior console to the old PS4 when in reality it’s much weaker...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Just suggestions. You don't know what's been lodged in the heatsink. It's small. Like 2 x1x1. Could be one chunk of dust. You cleaned all the stuck dust from fan blade and housing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just suggestions. You don't know what's been lodged in the heatsink. It's small. Like 2 x1x1. Could be one chunk of dust. You cleaned all the stuck dust from fan blade and housing?
Appreciate It, yes I cleaned the fan and area around it, however it was the thinnest layer of dust hardly anything there looked as clean as I’d expect it to, 99% cleaner than my original PS4 was after years of use without cleaning(and it still ran better than my pro)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's possible the original owner cleaned the fan, but not the heatsink. It still may be worth your while to check and make sure it's clear.

If it’s outside warranty I’ll crack it open and deep clean it then, I’ll have to look into it, stillsuprised a much younger and more powerful console is getting so hot it shuts off compared to my old abused one

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
If it’s outside warranty I’ll crack it open and deep clean it then, I’ll have to look into it, stillsuprised a much younger and more powerful console is getting so hot it shuts off compared to my old abused one
If it's not the fan or the heatsink, it could be a failure of the thermal compound.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
When I did mine it was nerve wracking. There are a few videos on how to do it with some having some tricks to try that helped. I watch 3 took what was common and went from there. Good luck. And make sure you have a can of air on hand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I did mine it was nerve wracking. There are a few videos on how to do it with some having some tricks to try that helped. I watch 3 took what was common and went from there. Good luck. And make sure you have a can of air on hand.

I replaced thermal compound in my orignal, i hear the pro is harder, I’ve got all the tools I need already so just gotta do it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts