AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my PSA V1500! I really am pleased thus far. Very nice. It's paired with the below setup...Advice would be VERY appreciated!

I'm assuming that the crossover should be set to 80Hz on the receiver? I have the subwoofer volume at about 10'o'clock and the subwoofer crossover at 150.

The room size is about 4 notches from large. My living room is pretty small but open into other rooms. Does that seem ok?

I used YPAO and it set the volume at -6.5db but I increased 3.5db. Thoughts? Thinking of increasing further...

Receiver - Yamaha RX-V671
Left/Right - Polk Audio LSi9
Center - Polk Audio LSiC
Surrounds - Polk Audio LSiFX
Powered Subwoofer - PSA V1500

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts
If you increased the gain by 3.5 dB, from -6.5 to -3.5, I would say you are fine. Feel free to increase another 3 dB if it sounds better to you. However, if you increased from -6.5 to +3.5, this would be a 10dB increase, which is too much. If that is the case, you probably need to work on improving placement. If set up properly, being 10 dB hot would sound way too bloated.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you increased the gain by 3.5 dB, from -6.5 to -3.5, I would say you are fine. Feel free to increase another 3 dB if it sounds better to you. However, if you increased from -6.5 to +3.5, this would be a 10dB increase, which is too much. If that is the case, you probably need to work on improving placement. If set up properly, being 10 dB hot would sound way too bloated.
Thanks, I wouldn't +10db...Was thinking maybe from -6.5 to 0.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Mike I have my FV's crossed over at 100hz and I absolutely love it. My front sound stage sounds so much more crisp and I get no localization from my subs. Also, I have my center channel boosted +3db and subs +6db. I encourage you to try the higher crossover I did and I'll never go back to 80hz.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thinking of adding 1 more of these subs lol!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Just got my PSA V1500! I really am pleased thus far. Very nice. It's paired with the below setup...Advice would be VERY appreciated!

I'm assuming that the crossover should be set to 80Hz on the receiver? I have the subwoofer volume at about 10'o'clock and the subwoofer crossover at 150.

The room size is about 4 notches from large. My living room is pretty small but open into other rooms. Does that seem ok?

I used YPAO and it set the volume at -6.5db but I increased 3.5db. Thoughts? Thinking of increasing further...

Receiver - Yamaha RX-V671
Left/Right - Polk Audio LSi9
Center - Polk Audio LSiC
Surrounds - Polk Audio LSiFX
Powered Subwoofer - PSA V1500
Hey Mike congrats on your new sub. If YPAO sets the speakers to LARGE manually set them to SMALL. 80Hz is what I am doing right now but as mentioned you might try 100Hz and see if you like the "feel" better. I actually think I liked 100Hz better but when I re-ran my calibration it set it back to 80Hz and I forgot to change it. Things to consider once you get it all dialed in.

The first thing you ought to try is work on placement. Set gain knob to 12 o'clock, FR all the way clockwise to LFE/150Hz. Time delay to 0ms and maybe put the room size somewhere in the middle. Put the sub in you MLP (main seating or listening position) and then play some bassy music or some sort of test track with a lower frequency sound. Walk around your room (you can even grab a meter for this) and find the spot that yields the most output or even just sounds the best to YOU. Then put your sub in that spot.

Once you find that spot it will be easy to run YPAO and set levels. The advice for levels is spot on. You want it to come in below 0db (-6db is perfect).

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Mike congrats on your new sub. If YPAO sets the speakers to LARGE manually set them to SMALL. 80Hz is what I am doing right now but as mentioned you might try 100Hz and see if you like the "feel" better. I actually think I liked 100Hz better but when I re-ran my calibration it set it back to 80Hz and I forgot to change it. Things to consider once you get it all dialed in.

The first thing you ought to try is work on placement. Set gain knob to 12 o'clock, FR all the way clockwise to LFE/150Hz. Time delay to 0ms and maybe put the room size somewhere in the middle. Put the sub in you MLP (main seating or listening position) and then play some bassy music or some sort of test track with a lower frequency sound. Walk around your room (you can even grab a meter for this) and find the spot that yields the most output or even just sounds the best to YOU. Then put your sub in that spot.

Once you find that spot it will be easy to run YPAO and set levels. The advice for levels is spot on. You want it to come in below 0db (-6db is perfect).
Awesome, thanks!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

You don't think -6db is low?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
You don't think -6db is low?
All it means is that your set your gain knob correctly (kinda)... if you set your gain knob to say "2'oclock" then MCACC might adjust the level down to -3 to -6db. Afterward you can adjust the level in your AVR to run "hot" usually folks adjust about 3 to 6db up from what is done during calibration.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All it means is that your set your gain knob correctly (kinda)... if you set your gain knob to say "2'oclock" then MCACC might adjust the level down to -3 to -6db. Afterward you can adjust the level in your AVR to run "hot" usually folks adjust about 3 to 6db up from what is done during calibration.
Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts