AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One For All are coming out with a new universal remote that is specifically designed for PVR users (see attached spec sheet). The layout is designed to get TiVo users attention but it also serve Replay users well.

The price should be $16.99 and you should be able to pick it up at Circuit City starting June 1st.

I haven't seen this remote myself yet, so I can't comment on whether I like it or not, but I did contribute some ideas to it's development.

Btw, OFA is also bringing out a new version of the Kemeleon, see this thread for more info.

Click here to see an enlarged version of the picture below.

urc6131-pvr.pdf 153.7646484375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
It looks like a good remote to me. Since UEI has manufactured remotes included with ReplayTV and Sony TiVo models, the company probably has an idea what consumers want. With contributions from the PVR remote guru, this one should be a winner.

Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like...

Personal preferences have resulted in my return of a Neo Pronto and a continued search for a universal remote that has hard buttons. This looks like a great option, as using JP1's might be above me.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I can't make out the QS, Instant Replay and RTL buttons. Are they there? Also a 3 minute skip? Capability to control multiple Replays? These functions should certainly be on a remote specifically designed for PVR!

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ol Dirty Wes
This looks like a great option, as using JP1's might be above me.
You shouldn't be intimidated by JP1. It's hard sometimes to see how easy it is o use when you see messages flying back and forth about some of the really complicated stuff that you can do if you want, but most of the nearly 10,000 members of the JP1 group just add a couple of codes and go.

Having said that, unless you also want this remote to control some other device that isn't in it's built in library, you shouldn't need JP1 to use it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I can't see how this is specifically designed for PVRs. I mean, if I were designing a remote for PVRs there would certainly be a PVR button, not an AUX or VCR button like many other 3rd parties already use for PVRs.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ol Dirty Wes
I like...

Personal preferences have resulted in my return of a Neo Pronto and a continued search for a universal remote that has hard buttons. This looks like a great option, as using JP1's might be above me.
The only remote for me. And hard buttons it has....

http://www.harmonyremote.com/

I actually have an older discontinued model, and after some tweaking, I can subconcsiously control the whole of my enternainment system, which mostly revolves around the Replay.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I like my Marantz RC2000 Mark II. I find that most "universal" remotes feel like junk. I like the solid feel of my Marantz. I want to check out the new Sony remote which is configured similarly. I just wish every component had a ON only command and a OFF only command...

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
As a TiVo user, that PVR remote looks pretty interesting, and I have some comments, which will probably just get lost in cyber-space.

I've not used ReplayTV, UTV, or any of the new integrated cable box DVRs, so some of my comments may not make any sense with respect to those.
  1. I would like to see the navigation buttons and the transport buttons even closer together. Those are the buttons that get the most use. In fact, I think the approach taken by the MX-500 is brilliant (I say this without having actually touched an MX-500, but it looks great.) They've actually integrated the 2 sets of buttons in such a way that all the buttons are accessible without having to re-grip the remote or use 2 hands.
  2. The track-reverse ( |>| ) and the skip ( ->| ) buttons
  3. I don't see how a dedicated PVR menu button is particularly useful.[/list=1]

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ace987
I can't see how this is specifically designed for PVRs. I mean, if I were designing a remote for PVRs there would certainly be a PVR button, not an AUX or VCR button like many other 3rd parties already use for PVRs.
Are you looking at the same remote that I am? This remote doesn't have an AUX button, and the PVR button is top row, center.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Main
Robman, do you have another link that is not in PDF format. For us webtv users. Thanks, Kevin Main
Sure thing, I just added it to the original post.

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard_boy
killer (not in a good way)...it's got thumbs-up & thumbs-down buttons
I know, this remote is definitely aimed at Tivo users first, but look at it this way, we can use those buttons for our 1-minute skipback and 3-minute skip buttons!

Btw, OFA is also coming out with a new version of the Kameleon, check the first post for a link to a thread with more info.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have an MX-500 and absoulutely love the thing. I tried about 4 different remotes before picking up the 500, and OMG, it's the greatest thing since cheese!!! OFA remotes might be good for the "average" user, but anyone of us with more than just a TV and a PVR would be crazy not to give the 500 a shot. Looks like that OFA remote is geared towards TIVO users, with RPTV users as an after-thought. Since I don't support TIVO, why would I support a company that made a remote geared towards TIVO owners more than us RPTV owners?

I guess I'm just really happy with my 500 and would put it heads against anything OFA can come up with!

No disrespect meant to TIVO-ers or One For All-ers, just my 0.2 cents...

stan

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikestan21
I have an MX-500 and absoulutely love the thing.
Yes the MX-500 is a good choice for a home theater, if you want to spend over $100 on a remote control. I like the UEI remotes really well and I use mine to control a couple of VCRs, PVRs, monitor, and audio receiver. This remote should be priced at about $30 or less I would guess and if it works as well as the UEI remotes I own, it should perform nicely. Not everybody likes these modest UEI remotes but I can't imagine a better value than UEI offers.

Chris

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Btw, I forgot to mention, the price for this thing is $16.99.

As for the MX-500, there is no doubt that it's an excellent remote and well worth the $130 or so price tag, but that doesn't mean that our $30 aren't just as flexible. In fact, for the advanced JP1 user, there's alot you can do with a JP1 remote that you can't do with the MX-500 because you can write your own mini-programs in the S3C8 assembler language.

It's also worth pointing out that many MX-500 owners also own a JP1 remote, which they use to teach discrete codes to the MX-500, something the MX-500 can't do on it's own.

Personally, my $30 Radio Shack 15-1994 is programmed to control the following devices:

01. Toshiba TV

02. Replay 3060

03. Panasonic Showstopper

04. Panasonic VCR

05. Samsung VCR

06. Aiwa stereo receiver

07. Sony CD player

08. Sima SVS4 video selector

09. Viewmaster cable box

10. IR543 (X10)

11. Pioneer DVD

12. Raite DVD

13. Sony Camcorder

... and I'm about to add a digital cable box to the mix! Not bad for a $30 remote. In fact, you could do all that with one of the 15-2104s currently on sale at Radio Shack for less than $10.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My vote for best universal remote, though I may be in the minority, is for the Sony RM-AV3000, which has Replay codes built-in. Controls all my A/V components, as well as my electric clock on the wall, which runs via remote control. The MSR of $199 is high....shopping around you can find it for around $90-$110.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, $16.99! With JP1 connector? Awesome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good posts and I agree with some and not others.

I hope the new owners will find wisdom in the failures sonicblue made by aligning themselves with the remote manufacturers that continue to offer less than stellar options. Don't be fooled D&M, most of them are, (and most people know it), nothing more than mid-range steps to what could be if they wanted to let the technology out.

I resent "spoon-feeding" which is what much of the electronics business seems to be these day's. I would include software and hardware as well. (again IMHO) Our corporate philosophy's and good old boy policies in America, simply stated is.......Put the crap out there...someone will buy it and when the market dictates, or when the competition is threatening our market position we'll come out with another product.....make sure though, that we don't give the consumer to much...just enough to regain or maintain our companies position. I refuse to get caught up in their game. I'll adapt to what I have or do the serious research if I find it necessary. If it ain't out there, I ain't buyin'.....

I noticed "immediatley" when I took it out of the box, that the remote that came with my 5000 series was no where near the quality as my old remote that came with my 2000 series. Thankfully, I can use my old remote to accomplish most of the functions. I have to use the new remote to set CA, other than that I don't particularily care for it. Seems small in my hand and I have stretch or completely remove/relocate the device in my hand to get to certain functions. While there's more, I won't take up your eyeballs with my complaints.......

Suffice to say that D&M would do well by establishing a policy that provides people, (if the technology is there) what they want. Many of you have voiced opinions on this board and others. We all know that most of this is do-able...... If they want to be the best, then there is only one business model to follow.

DO WHAT YOUR CUSTOMERS WANT

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.