Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...it's not exactly nirvana just yet.

So, I got my 9500 Non-Pro last night, futzed around with it, finally got the nerve up to install the 3.7 Omega optimized/hacked drivers. So now, I'm running a 9700 Non-Pro! Which is awesome, of course. No artifacts in OpenGL or Direct3D, so I might even overclock it.

But HTPC is the priority, so I went into PS, and it seemed to have automagically reconfigured itself. Finally, I can use Karnis' settings, or so I thought. Using his 960x540p settings not only didn't look right, but everything was in slooooooow motion. And this was just the desktop. So, I abandoned those settings and went with the 960x540 native settings given for my projector (Boxlight 1HD). It worked.

So here's my questions:

1) Does it matter whether I'm running Karnis' settings as opposed to the settings given for the PJ, if I could get the first one to work right? Quality-wise, is one better than the other?

2) Any tweaks or settings for 2D image quality that would make it look better? It looks great, but if there's a way to squeeze more PQ out of this card, I'm willing to do it.

3) Will using a DVI-I to VGA adapter do anything to PQ? I was thinking of sending one output to the monitor and one to the PJ (neither has DVI), so I don't have to buy a VGA switcher/distro amp. The better output goes to the PJ (of course!).

4) The card appears twice in Device Manager. The second entry is labeled "Secondary," but I forgot to turn off PS when I first installed the drivers, and it came up with two "New Hardware" prompts, which I both cancelled to run the driver setup. Should I worry, or not?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I assume you're running a fixed-pixel projector (I'm not personally familiar with the Boxlight). If so, then I assume you'd want to match your display resolutions and timings in powerstrip to get as close as possible to the native rate of your display. You might post a query in the projector forum and see if anyone else has configured a Radeon for maximum PQ on that projector. Mine is configured to match up with the native rate of my ED plasma (848x480).

Quote:
4) The card appears twice in Device Manager. The second entry is labeled "Secondary," but I forgot to turn off PS when I first installed the drivers, and it came up with two "New Hardware" prompts, which I both cancelled to run the driver setup. Should I worry, or not?
I had the exact same thing happen on a fresh install of WinXP Pro with a Radeon 9500 non-pro card and with Powerstrip installed. I'm not sure why it happens -- is it something to do with Powerstrip? And what is the appropriate response - ignore it, or delete/disable the "Secondary" display adapter in Device Manager?

OT - TWOP is the best.:cool:

- Ken (from Arlington)

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Karnis: Yeah, I figured later that might have been why. I just need to read stuff more good. ;)

K-Wood: I'm going to stick with the timings for the PJ for now. It's LCD, which I'm assuming is fixed-pixel. No problems from their timings so far. I'm thinking the "problem" (so far nothing's gone wrong) is related to PS. I need to reformat and reinstall anyway. There goes my Sat. afternoon...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JBlacklow
I need to reformat and reinstall anyway. There goes my Sat. afternoon...
Go read about Symantec's Ghost. It's amazing. You'll never have to say that again. I can get back to a fresh install of XP or 2k in less than 3 minutes.

Also, for the more hardcore users, checkout Microsoft's free utility called Sysprep. Works wonders with Ghost... ahh... absolutely nirvana.

·
Registered
93 Posts
By the way, Sysprep is available on your Windows CD. I don't recall the exact location, but it's like support\ ools\\something.cab ... open that up, and you'll find it there. very sweet utility.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.