AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a bunch of new hard drives and new Areca controller for christmas. I am going to replace my 3ware Raid-5 setup with this new card and new drives. What tools are there for me to verify the integrity of my new hard drives and then verify the integrity of my new raid build before I start putting all of my data on them? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ /forum/post/15426132

I want to check the drives themselves for any errors just in case there are any bad sectors,etc

The major mfgs have utilities on their web sites that can perform read/write tests on their drives. Just plug the HDDs into standard SATA ports, I'm pretty certain they won't work through a RAID controller.

Some RAID controllers can also do media verification by themselves.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Plug them in to regular SATA ports for the verification process.

Obtain a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD - it's absolutely free.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Burn it, boot from it, and you can access a wide variety of tools, not just for hard drive verification, but RAM, CPU, etc.

I personally run all my hardware through 72 hour tests minimum, especially if overclocking. I've had o/cs fail after 5 days straight and that is unacceptable. As for hard drives though, one test is good enough really.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.