Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I'm watching it. my bitrate stays above 8mbs constantly. :D

i'll let the pros here make their comments :D ( on EE and the ususal topic, there is "maybe" a bit of. still some grain from the print, normal )

but it looks great (def, depth, colors, contrast ) and sounds great.

ok, back to the field now, got some russians to kick :D

http://shopping.yahoo.com/video/imag.../52/192452.jpg

that's the kind of movies that are great in home theaters

·
Registered
152 Posts
Personally, I'll hold off buying this disk. I simply can't take anything

that shows these people (Afghanis) in a good light, even against then communist Russians. It reminded me why I wouldn't watch anything "OJ" was in once he got away with murder.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi hob

as for the afghans, see these more like the mudjahidins of the late commander Massoud ( a tadjik) ... not the talibans (who arrived or "appeared" after the war, or other fanatic warlords now. it helps :)

speaking of the sound of Rambo III, still, the dts can't help entirely a 14year old (oops!) movie and without the craftmanship of the guys who worked on the sound of Saving Private Ryan :) ( jeez, this movie sound is really THE reference.... ). but anyway, it's a good track, thunderous. speaking of the sound of late 80s action movies, Die Hard is the reference imho, with Predator close second. Rambo III is very very close behind.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Without the subtitles (which are needed), I am not buying. No way, no how. Screw Artisan.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Subtitles ruin a films atmosphere, I can live with not being able to understand everything that is said otherwise you would need subtitles for Stallone as well. While your at it why not have subtitles that explain the film for you or ones that pop up with peoples names just in case you forgot.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
agree. and imagine you are Richard Crenna, prisonner and beaten up and you hear those two russians talking with that afghan spy: you would not get subtitles in real life :D , so it helps making the scene more real :)

ok, for CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON, I concede subt are needed :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
back to the image: Rambo III was shot in J-D-C scope, a sort of Panavision I think.

Rambo II was shot in true Panavision, hence the very low level of film grain and the sense of depth. it looks better, even gorgeous.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
J-D-C Scope is essentially the same as Panavision but the equipment is from Joe Dunton Cameras (JDC), a smaller competitor of Panavision's.

I compared some of the new Rambo III to the first release from Artisan and the new disc is an improvement, much like the improvement seen in Superbits releases as David says. Sharper, more fine detail, purer blacks, greater color depth. Nice looking disc. Nice enough that I can overlook the missing subs for the few bits of Russian dialog that do have subs on the original disc.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
Subtitles ruin a films atmosphere, I can live with not being able to understand everything that is said otherwise you would need subtitles for Stallone as well.
Excuse me, but that logic is simply absurd, in my opinion. The subtitles were part of the film. they were there so that we could understand dialogue that we are meant to understand. They do not "ruin a film's atmosphere." :rolleyes:

Quote:
While your at it why not have subtitles that explain the film for you or ones that pop up with peoples names just in case you forgot.
Pardon me for not understanding Russian.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I just picked this up at Fry's for $39.95 but can't watch it till my Birthday on 6/21. Now you guys really have me chomping at the bit!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.