AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Holyoke Mass today and saw the new RCA 38" Direct view. Man was that a nice picture! It has a built in Direct TV and OTA reciever and they had a HDTV channel playing with rabbit ears. I could not believe the picture. I think the price was about $2600, not too bad for a widescreen direct view with built in reciever. This may be old news... But I was really amazed by the picture..

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
So am I for I own one, and it's as beautiful as you seen it at my place. One great part of my H.T. along with some other things connected to it.

Buy it you won't be sorry for wide screen DVD or vhs vcr cassette watching # F38310, I sit 5 feet away and as you get absorbed into the story, you won't ever want to watch standard square screens ever again. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
43 Posts
I own a 38310 and I think its awesome.I have it in a small living room which make for about 5 to 6 foot of viewing distance,and from there it just "sucks you in".Of course 540 watts of power coming out of Rotel amplifiers going into 5 Klipsch speakers along with a 250 watt MK subwoofer doesn't hurt either!The picture color and definition when watching 1080i or 720p is amazing,and 480p isn't that bad either.I just pray it isn't one of these units that are going to be "obsolete" in a year.Does anyone have any information on this,or perhaps have contacted RCA and if so could you please enlighten me and let me know what is being said.I am going to be calling them myself soon but just have been pretty busy and haven't gotten a chance.I will be posting what they say as soon as I am able to contact them.They have been pretty knowledgeable in the past when I have contacted them with questions about the box.I don't see why a TV with an internal STB should be downressed when there are no component outs on the thing.Unless of course they think someone is gonna get crafty and take the darn thing apart!But really,I think this is a big "scare" and little is gonna come of it.They have little to gain by putting the hooks to the consumers who have already purchased the technology in the first place.Its not like the remaining Americans who haven't are suddenly gonna say to themselves "Wow the industry is putting out a HDTV now that I can pay to watch the high quality signal and there is no way I can record it,come on honey lets go out and buy one!lol,and the pioneers who have already bought one are NOT going to go out and buy a new one.At least I hope not!I know I won't.

[This message has been edited by denhdtv (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
I may be interested in this unit. Could someone send me the dimensions? I have a Sampo 34" and may have enough room for the bigger RCA, but I know it'll be close. Also what is a good mail order place and price for this unit?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by denhdtv:
Does anyone have any information on this,or perhaps have contacted RCA and if so could you please enlighten me and let me know what is being said.2001).]
Congrats on your set! You must have gotten a "good one." There have been some quality control issues with the TCI sets; I had two MM52100s before getting my Sony. I really like the 38310, and have been looking for one for a really good price, which I think will happen very soon.

I would be very surprised if the DTC-100 circuitry built into the 38310 is significantly different from that of my STB DTV-100. For that reason, I don't believe they can selectively turn off the DTC-100s that are STBs, unless they address them by ID number in the bitstream. Certainly, that is possible, but I doubt they would go to such lengths. I actually think that because there are DTC-100s inside Thomson products, this will help contribute to the end result that NONE of us get turned off, with the possible exception of PPV HD, which is addressed set-by-set anyway. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

John in VA

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I don't believe the RCA 38310 or the new 65" HD-RPTV or the Proscan equivalents to these RCA models have any video outputs for connection to VCRs or PVRs. The MPAA should be happy with them.

I had exactly the same reaction when I saw these units at Circuit City. They were clearly superior to the other TV brands that surrounded them. It may be simply that these sets have been properly calibrated - but the picture superiority was definate.

However, the lack of HD video outputs was a deal killer for me - I need to timeshift OTA and DBS programming and I'll not settle for a standard definition recording of an HD source. Too bad, I really liked these HDTVs.

Gary

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
What is with you guys, when I had cable it went into my vcr, then it went into the TV set not a** backwards. I don't have cable TV for 4 years + and I don't miss it.

The TV is hooked to 2 DVD players,

webtv,and a Sharp brand vcr. I don't have 'any' sound going into either! For the guy that said I have 420+ watts of power, well my Dolby Surround Heaphones use 3 watts of power. Quite a savings in $$$ I might add. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hob-Its 790+ watts of power and if you could hear it you would certainly think it is worth a few dollars a month for the sonic boom that comes out of my home!But then again for a guy who thinks he is getting true Dolby Surround out a pair of 3 watt headphones maybe you wouldn't. lol

[This message has been edited by denhdtv (edited 08-04-2001).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got the final piece of my Home Theater, the RCA F38310. My dad has this set and it was so impressive that I had to buy one for myself. For HD broadcasts it is very impressive, and when playing DVDs from a progressive scan player it is absolutely amazing. I prefer this set to the rear projections because it is just so much crisper and smoother. I have it in a fairly small room and as others have mentioned in this forum, it really sucks you in to watching films that you normally wouldn't give any notice to. I am very happy with the set and for its price and features, it can not be beat. Seeing the opening sequence of Gladiator (not a great film, but a great demo disc) in 16X9 with DTS-ES brought tears of joy down my face, and goosebumps all over my body!

------------------

_ _____________________ _

TV: RCA F38310

A/V: DENON AVR-3802

DVD: DENON DVD-2800

CD: DENON DCM-520

MD: SONY MDS-JB920

VCR: Panasonic PV-4462

PWR: Monster HTS 3500

SKR: F: Polk LS-70,

C: CS-350

S-A: RT15I

S-B: f/x300I

Sub: Klipsch SW-10

GME: SONY PS2

_ _____________________ _

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was wondering if any of you guys have the 'squeeze effect' on the right and left sides of your screen. If you're not sure, watch a 16X9 flick; when the camera pans around, look closely at the left and right edge images and see if there's a difference. If your images stay uniform let me know. I'm hoping it's a minor problem with an easy fix.

JediMastr

------------------

[This message has been edited by JediMastr (edited 08-07-2001).]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Has any one here compared the RCA 38 incher side by side with the new Sony KV-34XBR2? I currently only have analog cable and due to obstructions I cannot receive satellite transmissions and I live too far from an OTA transmitter. I am interested in which of the two sets would in all likelihood render a better picture with analog cable. I realize it may not be pretty in either set, but one set may render a better picture than the other. Any opinions out there? I may also hook up an ISCAN Pro. Thanks in advance . . . Waving!

------------------

Cobra

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jedi,I'm not sure but I believe the squeeze effect you are explaining is due to the picture tube not being perfectly flat?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.