AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A tip of the hat to AVS member Eric for first posting this information.

Thomson Previews New RCA HDTV Receiver That Delivers

DIRECTV® Satellite, Digital And Analog Terrestrial Broadcasts

New DTC210 Set-Top Receiver Includes Secure Digital Connection

INDIANAPOLIS, September 10, 2003 - With sales of HDTV products in the second quarter of 2003 running almost 70 percent ahead of last year, Thomson (Euronext Paris: 18453) (NYSE: TMS) today demonstrated a new RCA HDTV receiver, model DTC210, that will deliver the growing array of HDTV programming available from DIRECTV as well as over-the-air ATSC (digital) and NTSC (analog) broadcasts to consumers who are expected to buy more than four million HDTV products this year.

"The HDTV transition continues to pick up momentum reflected by the strong sales of HDTV Sets and Monitors that are being spurred on by the expanded HDTV offerings now available on both DIRECTV and broadcast television," commented Doug Lankford, General Manager, Direct Broadcast Satellite Americas. "The new RCA DTC 210 offers consumers the ideal combination of features and connectivity for the utmost in high definition enjoyment. The multi-format receiver delivers a stunning high-definition picture from both DIRECTV and over-the-air broadcasts, includes both conventional and secure digital connections, and offers many of the features that DIRECTV customers are accustomed to such as advanced program guide and one button record."

The DTC210 offers numerous convenience features including the DIRECTV® Advanced Program Guide with seven-day listings of both terrestrial and DIRECTV® satellite programming, allowing a seamless transition when switching between satellite and over-the-air broadcasts. A new high-speed guide-surfing function will assure fast-response program searches by names of actors, movies and other one-step search fields. A video window in the guide will enable viewers to continue watching a program while surfing through the listings, or consumers may choose to utilize the Quick Guide which will allow them to quickly scan to see what is on while still viewing a program in full screen.

The DTC210 incorporates a secure DVI-HDTV output with HDCP copy protection technology to ensure that uncompressed video signals from digital sources provide a clean signal, resulting in the best picture possible for HDTV programming. It will also offer multiple output formats for display of all digital TV formats -- 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i, so that consumers can easily configure how the picture is displayed on their home monitor. Maximum performance will be achieved by matching any digital TV monitor's native resolution - LCD, plasma, DLP or CRT based. Additionally, the DTC210 will simultaneously output 480i signals, enabling connection to an analog TV or standard VCR in addition to connection to digital displays.

The new satellite receiver will feature both coaxial and optical Dolby Digital® audio outputs, a DVI-HDTV secure digital video connection, and standard RGB+HV (15-pin D sub) and Y Pr Pb component video outputs.

The DTC210 will be available in early 2004.

· Registered
313 Posts
Sounds like all the same features of the Samsung T160.

Glad to see RCA finally has gotten back in the game though. My DTC-100 seems so ancient now compared to the Sammy.

Where's firewire?

Paul

· Registered
2,067 Posts
No recording options.. no firewire, no hard drive PVR. How disappointing.

I suppose its tuner will be improved, and the guide much better than the DTC100. But, that won't be enough for me to upgrade.

Unless it is priced very aggressively, there doesn't seem to be much new here.

· Registered
3,733 Posts
RE: linx tech

Postponement, i actually think it is in a development phase..

· Registered
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
No 1394 option, looks like DirecTV maybe loosing customers to cable now that they will be offering 1394 as of 4/1/04.
I wonder if Direct just doesn't think anyone will want to record to tape in the future.. (tivo tivo tivo tivo TIVOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!) That is a popular opinion, one i don't agree with. I think there is a place in the world for harddrive based recording, tape and someday hddvd which eventually will replace tape. Still it is nice to see a dct-100 replacement but more features would have seemed wise.

· Registered
3,723 Posts
I can see somebody that hasn't already invested in an HD STB being interested in this box, but for nearly everyone here, this couldn't be any more ho-hum. It has just about every feature that many exisiting STBs already have. Talk about arriving fashionably late. Like somebody mentioned above, wake me when the HD DirecTivos, or at least firewire D* STBs, are announced. I'll stick to my trusty Zenith 520 until then.

· Registered
982 Posts
No firewire. No sale.

-Reagan

· Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
No 1394 option, looks like DirecTV maybe loosing customers to cable now that they will be offering 1394 as of 4/1/04.
Hey Kipp,

You are right on here.

This new RCA DTC-210 stb is missing one key connection "1394"

· Registered
32,174 Posts
I would estimate that DirecTV might lose fewer than 1,000 customers in 2004 due to lack of 1394 support.

Perhaps I'm wrong tenfold. But certainly not more than that.

As for the Linx stuff, it seems hard to imagine a product before Q2 2005 that actually uses the chipset if it's only samping in Q2 2004. That sucks, assuming it actually delivers the goods.

· Registered
414 Posts
Isn't it possible that no D* HD STB will incorproate 1394 until there's clarity on the broadcast flag issue? If the flag is incorporated the way the MPAA wants it, then 1394 won't record 1080 anyway.

Stretching this subject a little, the FCC better consider the fact that over 5 million HD TV's were sold prior to DVI and us consumers will demand we not be downressed. Unless of course if the MPAA or FCC wants to buy me a shiny new DVI enabled TV to replace my 2 year old Mits.

BTW, my guess (its only a guess) is that the forthcoming RCA HD STB will be based on the next gen Samsumg platform.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
=====================================================

Isn't it possible that no D* HD STB will incorproate 1394 until there's clarity on the broadcast flag issue?

Exactly the broadcast flag issue is what supposedly held up the launch of the box for over a year to begin with. So if we are to believe the above press release then RCA must have decided not to include it.

Although in my opinion I think the release of the box will be delayed further

· Registered
9,766 Posts
must have RF remote!

IR remotes will not do!

· Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wward

Isn't it possible that no D* HD STB will incorproate 1394 until there's clarity on the broadcast flag issue?

Exactly the broadcast flag issue is what supposedly held up the launch of the box for over a year to begin with. So if we are to believe the above press release then RCA must have decided not to include it.

Although in my opinion I think the release of the box will be delayed further

Directv's stance on Firewire will force me to switch to Dish. The PVR921 along with the 211 will support Firewire. OK, how many Directv customers will switch to either of these STB when they become available. I'm waiting for the 211.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.