AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have def tech 8060 fronts and 8040 center. Currently have infinity qps surrounds(yes quite old). I like the def tech surrounds but at $600-$700 a pair(depending on 8080 or 9080) not sure that's really a price I want to pay for surrounds. Klipsch also makes a nice looking rear and similar price. In open for suggestions as I try and wrap up my 5.1 surround for now. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
Max budget?
Any size restrictions?
Are you wall mounting? (will determine front or rear ported)
Any unrealistic Waf limitations?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$600 budget maybe go higher if something out there is "worth" it. Wall mount 6-7 feet or so on side walls. Speaker wire already pre ran at that height so can't do much about that might be able to lower a foot

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump for other options or confirmation of the BIC? Ready to purchase tomorrow but wanted more thoughts on this topic.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Have you considered using regular direct radiating bookshelf/monitors for surrounds? Or are you set on some kind of bipole/dipole surround speaker?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you considered using regular direct radiating bookshelf/monitors for surrounds? Or are you set on some kind of bipole/dipole surround speaker?

I'm open to anything at this point. I like the def tech line but not sure I want to drop $600-$700 for rears when the front stage is really the most important and I'm happy with that part just need to round out the rest :)

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
You could get some SVS Prime bookshelves or satellites. Or some Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SEs. Or maybe HTD Level Threes. These are Internet direct brands that offer good value because there is no middle man built into the price structure. I'd say that they would be comparable to major brand store bought speakers in the $500+ price range. All three also have promotions for free return shipping right now. Not much to lose if you don't like them except having to pack them up and return them.

There is one advantage in going direct radiating. If you ever want to upgrade to Dolby Atmos, bipole/dipole surrounds are not supposed to work very well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the look of the htd and price. Svs has a strong name in the subs though how do those bookshelves sound? Of the 3 do you own any?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I have the CBM-170s. They are fairly neutral, very clean and resolving for the price. One of the best speakers I have heard for under

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
I recomended the Bics since you were interested in the SR9080. @ cel4145 is correct in that direct radiating bookshelf speakers will allow you more flexibility. Ascend Accoustic are often recomended in this forum for a very good reason. I've yet to hear anyone complain over Ascends' lack of performance. The price is very reasonable aswell.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Pase ordered the BICs last night before I could change my mind again. I might order the CBM 170s as well to try them out too. Good price for both to be honest so willing to try and see what sounds the best.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Do you need a special bracket to mount? I have a single post wall mount but don't see a key hole and it just mentions a tear bracket for mounting which I'm guessing is sold separately?
Sorry I don't know the best way to mount them. Mine are not mounted.

·
Registered
19,002 Posts
Thanks Pase ordered the BICs last night before I could change my mind again. I might order the CBM 170s as well to try them out too. Good price for both to be honest so willing to try and see what sounds the best.
If you do the order the CBM-170s, just for fun put them in the mains position to compare against your Def Techs. They will obviously have a whole lot less bass than the DTs but I'd be curious to see how you find their mids and highs compare.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts