AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Been trying to quickly get up to speed.  It's been a good 10 years since I even pondered my setup so I have been completely out of the loop.  Reviewing what sub to get recently sure opened my eyes a bit.  It is clear that I want to take advantage of the Blu Ray audio advances and having all video devices go through the receiver would be nice as well.

Wish list:

-HD sound from Blu Ray

-3+ HDMI inputs (1.3+)

-run my pair of outdoor speakers

-not cost too much (definitely sub $500 but sub $300 would be preferred)

-would be nice to be able to set a higher cutoff for the rears (spec'd range only down t 125Hz)

-HT and music

-other than that I am not edumacated 'nough to know what else I want/need

System:

RCVR: Yamaha RX-V459

Fronts: Paradigm Studio 60 v3

Center: Paradigm Studio CC-570 v3

Rear: Paradigm Cinema 70 v3

Sub: SVS PB-1000

TV: Samsung 67" LED DLP

Room: 16'x16'x9' with a 7' wide opening at the back to the dining room and kitchen.

I don't really want to invest too too much.  But I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Or if my system really should use a higher end receiver please state your case :).

I noticed that until tomorrow Future shop has the Pioneer SC-1328-Kn (which I have read here is really the Elite SC-72?) on for $600 off at $800 now.  If this will really make a night and day difference I could be convinced.  But if my speakers won't take advantage of the difference I'll save the cash.  http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/pioneer-pioneer-875-watt-7-2-channel-network-receiver-sc-1328-k-sc-1328-k/10266245.aspx?path=383190d9499a6ac5a7d0bb152b52abc1en02]Link[/url ]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Oops guess I don't have permission to add links at this time.  Here's my reply without the link,

Or if my system really should use a higher end receiver please state your case :).

I noticed that until tomorrow Future shop has the Pioneer SC-1328-Kn (which I have read here is really the Elite SC-72?) on for $600 off at $800 now.  If this will really make a night and day difference I could be convinced.  But if my speakers won't take advantage of the difference I'll save the cash.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would imagine your Studios could use a little more juice than the Yammie 459. I have never heard of "Future" shop. I'd recommend you confirm that they are authorized first so you don't get caught in a bad warranty situation.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes182  /t/1524884/new-receiver-advice#post_24546626

I would imagine your Studios could use a little more juice than the Yammie 459. I have never heard of "Future" shop. I'd recommend you confirm that they are authorized first so you don't get caught in a bad warranty situation.

Don't worry - check the link. They are authorized you never heard of them because they are a Canadian company

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So what price range best fits the rest of my setup?

The shop I got my studios at has a sale on right now on a bunch of receivers.  Keep in mind I am in Canada so the prices I list will be about 20% over what you might expect to pay in the States. 

I will be searching the archives and googling as well but up to date opinions would be appreciated.  I'll just list some of the better 'deals' with the regular price in (brackets):

Yamaha RX-V475 $329 ($449)

Yamaha RX-V675 $449 ($649)

Yamaha RX-S6000 $479 ($649)

Pioneer VSX-1122-K $499 ($799)

Pioneer VSX-1123 $499 ($799)

Harmon Kardon AVR 2700 $599 ($899)

Onkyo TX-NR727 $649 ($899)

Denon AVR-X3000 $698 ($999)

Yamaha RX-V1075 $799 ($1299)

Considering the rest of the system what range would you suggest and are any of the above something I should seriously consider jumping on?

·
Premium Member
90,290 Posts
Select the model which best meets your features/input/output requirements, although with that setup you would likely want to consider the Denon X4000 as well which uses the most advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 over the lower version MultEQ XT on the X3000 and the even lower version of only MultEQ on the Onkyo 727. Decide which is more important ... features or audio quality.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Jax - another thing to consider is reliability. The Onk's have noted issues with their HDMI's. Mine (a 906) was bad right out of the box. Got it repaired, then it sat in a box for 2 years before I implemented it again (long story) and I'm having issues with the HDMI again. When it gets to the point it needs repair - I'm probably going to go Marantz .The 7007 is on till today at $440 off to 999.99.

I also have a Yamaha - a RX-V3800. On that one the Volume doesn't work on the unit (it does on the remote though).

Now, bear in mind these are the top of the line AVR's for these two companies (at the time of purchase) and both are 'Japanese' (which is supposedly better build quality than 'chinese
) but IMO that' s a load of hogwash. You can get badly built items from any country, some just have a 'stigma' about them.

Also, remember 'watts' don't mean nearly as much as the 'current'. H/K for example are noted for their High current ( I have an hk 520 - yes I have a lot of receivers - the 520 does not have hdmi and it's what the Onk replaced but I still use it in a two channel rig - the h/k) and it's rated at 90 watts or something like that and I know that receiver could easily drive your paradigms to ear spliting levels without clipping.

So as jdsmoothie says - select the model that has all the features YOU are looking for first, and my comments on the Onk and Yammy not withstanding - choose the least expensive (best deal) of the ones you'r looking for with those features. You most likely won't drive your speakers to clipping no matter which you choose

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks guys, good advice.  I'm currently creating a spread sheet to compare all the options.  It is impossible to keep track in my head with so many receivers out there.

Right now I am possibly considering these to units, both on sale for $800 CDN.  Any specific opinions?

Pioneer SC-1328-K (class D amps)

Yamaha RX-V1075

After searching I'm not really sure what to think about class D.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Actually I just found a used Yamaha RX-V671 for under $300 cash.  I think I may just go with that as a 3-5 year stop gap.  Seems to have most of what I want.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
That's a good price Jax - and if it has what you want, I'd agree with you 100%. In 3 to 5 years they'll have 'other stuff' anyway you'll need (it never ends lol). Enjoy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Got the RX-V671 last night.  Setup went well.  First thing I did was update the firmware via network.  I found the manual online. I did everyting manually as he did ot have the mic to throw in.  I watched Tron Legacy on Blu Ray and was blown away at the detail in the sound.  It was stunning.

But this morning an issue cropped up.  I turned on the TV, cable box (Explorer 8642HD) and receiver in TV mode (I setup the SCENE) which goes into HDMI2 on the receiver but it would not recognize the signal (video + audio) coming from my Rogers HD cable box.  But if I change the channels back and forth on the cable box it seems to kick in.  I tried 2 different cables (both a few years old) and HDMI2 and HDMI4 with the same result.  The cable box is set at 1080i output but not sure what nonHD signals are sent at.  The box defaults at channel 1 which is nonHD.

Any ideas?  Maybe the cable singal is already weak but the TV read it fine in the past but it falls below some threshold on the RX-V671?

I'll start going through the RX-V671 thread but at 72 pages I'm going to be in there a while.  If anyone knows and could help me out I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Just an FYI I am totally satisfied with the V671 except for one really important issue.  I've got a pool out back and like to throw music or the baseball game on back there.  With my old receiver it was no problem, I just turn on the B speakers and what ever was playing in the main room was sent to the B speakers.

But now with the V671 it seems that zone 2 can't do this.  Zone 2 must be from an analog source and each input must be set to either analog or digital.  I currently have my DVD, Xbox 360, cable box and DVD player all running HDMI.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a way to accomplish what I want with this V671?

I don't get why it can't at least play what the main room is playing.

·
Registered
28,722 Posts
Zone 2 and Speaker B are two completely different configurations.

1. Speaker B only allows what is played in the main room

2. Zone 2 gives you the ability to listen to different sources in different rooms.

Zone 2 on your receiver needs analog sources. You can connect RCA cables from your DVD and cable box to the inputs on your receiver with no problem. Leave the HDMI cables connected as well.

I think the Xbox 360 also has a set of red/white analog audio outputs so you can connect that as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts