AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 10 year old Kenwood HTIB system. I upgraded my receiver to a Denon Avr-e300 My old receiver had a power plug in the back so I could connect my subwoofer. That way when I had my receiver turn on, the subwoofer also turned on. My kenwood subwoofer only has the coaxial out and the power cable. It is decent and I was hoping to keep it.

The new Denon does not have this plug to run the subwoofer power through it.

How do the new receivers handle this issue?

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The majority of subwoofers have a feature where the subwoofer goes into standby mode if it does not sense an input signal for a minute or two.

Actually many subwoofers use Class D amplifiers anyway, so the subwoofer amplifier basicallly draws no current when there is no signal in any case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1522562/new-receiver-and-old-subwoofer#post_24484766

AVRs are generally not designed to power any electrical device of greater than 100W and so it's never recommended to connect a sub power cord to the AVR,. If the sub does not have an "auto off" setting, then you can use a smart power strip to power the sub on when the AVR powers on.

My old kenwood receiver had a plug for a sub and had no problems for 10 years.

Just tried the old subwoofer with the Denon e300. Have subwoofer connected to a regular powerstrip. It doesn't turn off, and the led light remains on. Used Kill a watt to measure power consumption, and it still uses 15w even with the receiver turned off. Sigh.......... and I was pretty satisfied with the sub.

Guess I will just have to turn off the sub on and off whenever I need to....

Doubt the smart powerstrip would work correctly with this old sub.

·
Premium Member
91,717 Posts
A HTIB is a different matter as the main "box" is generally "designed" to power the speakers and the sub which is not the case for an AVR as I previously mentioned. Using a regular power strip, if you turn it off, it should cut the power to the sub, so not sure why that is not the case for you. Also, not sure if you mean the E300 is using 15W in standby or the sub is as the E300 is designed to only use about 3W when Network Standby/IP Control is ON and < 1W when only HDMI Control is ON or when neither is ON (ie. Stanby light is not lit up).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts