AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Pioneer SC1522K the other day so I could return my onkyo 818 and am now im experiencing an annoying issue. When switching from HD channels on my Motorola cable box to SD channels the picture cuts out, but I still get audio. It does the same thing going from SD to HD. If i turn the receiver off then on i get picture until i try and go back to HD or SD again. I wasnt having this problem with the onkyo the other day. I tried turning off video conversion and playing around with pass through settings on the AVR to no avail. I called Pioneer tech support and the guy was pretty confident that it is a hdcp handshake issue. I honestly have no idea. I'm an audio guy not a video guy. But I would think that if it was a hdcp issue I wouldn't get any picture at all right? Either way the rep said its possible that my 6 year old HDMI cables are the problem, I'm not so sure about that either since they have been working fine. Any ideas? It's driving me nuts and the AVR sounds great.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdamocles  /t/1468370/new-receiver-annoying-issue-need-help#post_23207543

Model # of motorola stb?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Ill get you the model number in a few hours when I get home

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdamocles  /t/1468370/new-receiver-annoying-issue-need-help#post_23207547

Is tjis Comcast?

Yes it is!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1468370/new-receiver-annoying-issue-need-help#post_23207382

Wouldn't hurt to try a new cable. It would be one of the first things I would do.

I doubt it's cables but ill pick up some after work and if they don't work I'll return them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. I got some new cables, unfortunately they didn't really help. I power cycled every component and I could switch between HD and SD for about 30 seconds then it would not work after a short period. I hooked up a 8 year old Samsung LCD TV and everything worked fine. I guess the new receiver and Vizio TV don't handshake properly because if I swap the receiver or tv it works. Right now I have it bypassing the AVR and I just have to fumble with remotes to switch inputs, the Motorola box plays just fine when hooked up directly to the TV. My cable box is a Motorola DCH3200, I believe it has the latest firmware as its update automatically. I don't see and option to keep the resolution fixed and I've looked everywhere in the setup.

·
Registered
485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithandWesson  /t/1468370/new-receiver-annoying-issue-need-help#post_23208317

Ok. I got some new cables, unfortunately they didn't really help. I power cycled every component and I could switch between HD and SD for about 30 seconds then it would not work after a short period. I hooked up a 8 year old Samsung LCD TV and everything worked fine. I guess the new receiver and Vizio TV don't handshake properly because if I swap the receiver or tv it works. Right now I have it bypassing the AVR and I just have to fumble with remotes to switch inputs, the Motorola box plays just fine when hooked up directly to the TV. My cable box is a Motorola DCH3200, I believe it has the latest firmware as its update automatically. I don't see and option to keep the resolution fixed and I've looked everywhere in the setup.

You must turn off the stb and then immediately hit menu. This is with the tv on to see it.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
My Pioneer 919 did that, and increasingly so towards the end of its short life (and in two different rooms with two different bd players and tvs, both with directv) Wrote it off to hdmi handshake issues, at least at first. Then it died altogether after two years so maybe it had other issues. My Onkyo has never had an issue like that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdamocles  /t/1468370/new-receiver-annoying-issue-need-help#post_23212790

You must turn off the stb and then immediately hit menu. This is with the tv on to see it.

Wow, that's pretty cool I didn't know about this hidden menu. Too bad it didn't help though :/

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1468370/new-receiver-annoying-issue-need-help#post_23212798

My Pioneer 919 did that, and increasingly so towards the end of its short life (and in two different rooms with two different bd players and tvs, both with directv) Wrote it off to hdmi handshake issues, at least at first. Then it died altogether after two years so maybe it had other issues. My Onkyo has never had an issue like that.

Ahhhh! I hope mine doesn't have the same fate. I hope it's just hdcp since it works fine with my other old TV. I dig this receiver.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts