AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have a Panny XR 55 in my HT. However, we are buying a new house that is prewired for whole house audio. I want to be able to use one receiver for my HT and the whole house audio (do not have to function independent of one another, it would be running either music or a movie). Will I be able to this with the XR 55?

Eventually, I will want a receiver that will allow me to watch a movie/tv in my HT while my wife can have the whole house audio going independent of the movie (obviously she would want music while I would be watching a movie). Any receivers allow for this or would I need two separate receivers?

Thanks!

Quinn

·
Registered
248 Posts
How many speaker zones are in the house? and are there Impedance Matching volume controls in each zone? And how big is the house?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe277 /forum/post/12950822

How many speaker zones are in the house? and are there Impedance Matching volume controls in each zone? And how big is the house?

Good questions. I think I jumped the gun as I do not know how many zones the builder installed. It was a custom home the builder was trying to sell so I do not know. I will have to get the wiring diagram to figure that out. There are no speakers or volume controls installed, just the wiring. The house is 3208 sf.

·
Registered
248 Posts
There's a few different ways to hook up extra zones. After you check the wiring diagram get back here. The more zones, the harder it will be to power all the speakers in the house. Impedance matching volume contols (if wired for) will help a little, but a proper multi-zone amp is usually recommended, but if $$ is a constraint a decent speaker selector switch might do the job (getting an impedance matched, volume controlled speaker selector switch will help if each zone is not wired for its own volume control) but will yield lower volume levels.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe (or anyone else with any input),

If you are still following this thread, there are 4 zones (two speakers per zone) pre-wired and I do not believe there are any volume controls. Those would have to be added.

So, what are your thoughts from here?

Thanks!

Quinn

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Sony for 1 or 2 room operations, but they do have a professional line that may meet your requirements.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Rudolph.

Basically, I want music to go to the audio zones while I am watching a movie in the HT room. That way, my wife can have music going and leave me alone to watch my movie!

I would appreicate any other product suggestions.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qposner /forum/post/13067133

Thanks, Rudolph.

Basically, I want music to go to the audio zones while I am watching a movie in the HT room. That way, my wife can have music going and leave me alone to watch my movie!

I would appreicate any other product suggestions.

If it's just music I would go for a Niles multizone system, like

Niles ZR-4630 4-source, 6-room audio receiver

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That may be a bit much for us. i am fine with the same music going to the 4 audio zones (so the whole house is basically 1 zone) while watching a 7.1 movie in my HT. Can I do this with a 2 zone system or should I just run 2 receivers - one for the HT and 1 for the rest of the house. Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you have a receiver with 2nd-room capability and get something like the Marantz ZS5300 6-channel amp, that should provide for your needs. The amp can be configured to run three zones independently or all three using the 2nd source as defined by the receiver.

·
Registered
248 Posts
To start out with something simple. Try a 2 zone receiver. I personally like the Onkyo. Their 2 zone receivers start at about $500 and go up from there. These receivers will allow you to watch a movie/TV show in surround sound in the main room while listening to the radio or another source (i.e. CD player or cable music stations) in the rest of the house. Since their are no volume controls you might want an impedance matching speaker selector switch (something like the Russound SDB-4.1) with volume control. Try something like this first and if you can't get enough power to all the speakers you may want to add an amplifier to the setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts