AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I haven't been around much because I've been happy with my gear:D Well, I am ready to replace my Marantz SR-8400 in the living room. It has no HDMI and a couple of the connections are going bad on it. The onscreen display doesn't work either, so I cannot change the assigned inputs and am in need of doing so now. I do not want to spend the money to get the old thing repaired. Sadly, it still sounds fantastic and I hate to get rid of it but it's time.

What I'm looking for is simple. I want it to do what the Marantz did, with some added features. As for power, any modern receiver is capable of what I need it to do. I am looking for adequate sound and a decent feature set.

I need the following:

5.1 surround in the living room + 2.0 zone 2( audio only, internal amp) + 2.0 zone 3(audio only through an external amp)

HDMI in for blu ray player, XBox 360, HD Cable DVR, PC, and Roku XDS

Component in for Wii

And preferably:

Networking with airplay, pandora, DLNA streaming

ALL video in's out through HDMI (wife would LOVE a one cable to display setup if not too expensive)

OSD via HDMI (would go with above I would guess??)

iOS app control would be awesome, but certainly not required

An additional question I have is this. Currently on the SR-8400 I cannot output digital sources to zone 2 and zone 3 which really sucks because I have to hook up my iphone or ipad via analog connections to stream via the receiver currently. I realize digital output to additional zones is an expensive option. Can the internal streaming on these modern receivers be outputted to the additional zones?

Thanks,

Pat

·
Premium Member
90,432 Posts
If you want an independent source to each of Zones 2 and 3, then the Denon 3312CI (last year's model) is the lowest Denon AVR with Zone 3 capability. In addition to passing analog audio to Zones 2/3, it can also pass PCM 2.0 from optical/digital coax sources to Zones 2/3. The new 3313CI also has the Zone 2/3 capability, and although it loses the PCM 2.0 from optical/digital coax capability to Zones 2/3, it gains a dedicated Zone 2 HDMI output. In the Marantz line, the older 7005 or new 7007 would be the lowest models models basically have the same features/capabilities (ie. 7005/3312CI and 7007/3313CI). For all networking modes (to include these 4), the on board sources (eg. internet radio, Pandora, Airplay, etc. will pass to Zones 2/3).

Note: On the 7005/3312CI Airplay cannot play independently to Zones 2/3, rather it must also be selected in the main zone as well. This limitation is removed on the 3313CI and 7007.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much appreciated rapid feedback, thanks!

I was looking at the Onkyo 616 and 717 online and it appears they also have this capability. I guess having two different sources for zone 2 and zone 3 are not that important. Would that expand my options? Does the pandora, etc. stream through the zones or just the main zone?

Thanks

Pat

·
Premium Member
90,432 Posts
See my edited post above. Also, although the Onkyo 616 and 717 feature Zone 2/3 pre-outs, both only use the lowest version of Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ the sub woofer while the Denon/Marantz models I listed use the more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT which in addition to having far more speaker filters can also EQ the sub.

Also, if you can live with Zones 2/3 each getting the same source, then you can drop down to any Denon or Marantz 7.1 model, and connect an impedance matching speaker selector to either the Zone 2 speaker posts or to a 2CH amp connected to the Zone 2 pre-outs. Review the 2nd post in each of the Denon XX12 and XX13 Owner's threads linked in my sig to review the differences of each model.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Let me start with the last question...

YES the internal net streaming of pandora or any other internal internet music option is available to the additional zone 2 and/or zone 3 right out of the box. You need nothing extra its all built in. It works with the additional zones as another source and can play on the zones no matter whats playing on the main surround "zone"

There are are few receivers that will take the digital inputs and send them to the zones without the need of running a redundant analog input from the sources. But yes that is pretty expensive so its problably not even worth it right now anyway. In a few more years this will problably be a standard on every receiver since one of the points of HDMI is also to eliminate cables.

Onkyo Denon and Marantz are the 3 manufactures that have what your looking for in a receiver. Id say your problably going to be able to find one at about 550.00 to 700.00

The question Id ask 1st is do you want zone 3 to be completly differant then zone 2 audio becasue you can just get a 2 zone receiver and use the built in power to feed the speakers as you do now and use the zone 2 preout to feed the power amp.

Im just looking at receivers and for zone 3 options your going to be at the upper end of the scale to get all that you need.

If you need an independant zone 3 then Id recoment a Marants SR7005. It does everything you want other then internally using digital sources for the zones. Youll still have to run analog on a 7005 but for the money its

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic C  /t/1415658/new-receiver-help-3-zones#post_22131922

Let me start with the last question...

The question Id ask 1st is do you want zone 3 to be completly differant then zone 2 audio becasue you can just get a 2 zone receiver and use the built in power to fedd the speakers as you do now and use the zone 2 preout to feed the power amp.

Im just looking at receivers and for zone 3 options your going to be at the upper end of the scale to get all that you need.

If you need an independant zone 3 then Id recoment a Marants SR7005. It does everything you want other then internally using digital sources for the zones. Youll still have to run analog on a 7005 but for the money it problably the best option I would suggest.

Now that I think about it, I am usually running the same thing on zone 2 and 3 (as in playing music at a party). The marantz I have now is so easy; I hit "multi" on the front panel and select the source. I then hit "multi speaker", select the source, turn on the 2nd amp and I'm done.

I am intrigued by the Onkyo's because they also do spotify which I am currently addicted to! I do worry about the many lemons that have been shipped by Onkyo however, evidenced by the many reviews and forum posts on the subjects. The denon has a few like that as well. I use a Yamaha RXV-661 in my HT and think it does a great job, but they don't seem to offer a reasonable receiver with the zone control features I need.

I need to go lay hands on the marantz, denon, and onkyo offerings and see what they feel like.

Thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1415658/new-receiver-help-3-zones#post_22131895

See my edited post above. Also, although the Onkyo 616 and 717 feature Zone 2/3 pre-outs, both only use the lowest version of Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ the sub woofer while the Denon/Marantz models I listed use the more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT which in addition to having far more speaker filters can also EQ the sub.

Also, if you can live with Zones 2/3 each getting the same source, then you can drop down to any Denon or Marantz 7.1 model, and connect an impedance matching speaker selector to either the Zone 2 speaker posts or to a 2CH amp connected to the Zone 2 pre-outs. Review the 2nd post in each of the Denon XX12 and XX13 Owner's threads linked in my sig to review the differences of each model.

As opposed to my HT, my living room system is a very simple 5.1 in a normal sized room so that isn't the biggest deal. I also am familiar with the old school SPL meter calibration of a room as I've done that before and am comfortable. Are they lacking anything else?

Thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 2113CI might be the way I'll go. Thanks for the links, lots of great info there. $649 is right there in terms of price and it looks like it does more than I'll ever need in terms of capability.

They've certainly gone minimalist on the rear inputs! My Marantz has so many inputs and outputs that you need a roadmap. I just need to make sure nothing is missing that I'll need.

Pat

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The analog stuff I can see, but I'd suggest they are going a little fast with getting rid of the optical/digital audio inputs as lots of devices still being made offer that as the only digital solution. I think the Wii is all I have that needs it but I need to make sure before jumping. Also, in the past I've stayed with component + digital rather than HDMI because of handshake issues (the Roku does at times for instance). They are eliminating that option which is not a good thing IMO. I still use optical for my 360 but can switch to all HDMI with this new receiver.

Pat

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 2113CI is on it's way so we'll see. I hope my cable box HDMI out plays nice with the receiver in terms of handshake issues.

Thanks for all the advice!

Pat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts