AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I currently have an Onkyo NR-709 that is giving me sound problems. I researched and apparently its common with these receivers where you lose sound intermittently as well as networking capability, and then it comes back sporadically.

Soooo looks like I'm in the market for a new receiver. I don't have TONS of experience with receivers, but I'd like a 7.2 channel; has an ethernet port for controlling the receiver via my phones/lan or whatever. I don't like messing with all the different audio options like Prologic 2, Prologic 2 EX etc; I'd rather it auto sense and pick the best sound option.

Most of all I just want something that will make my polk RTI's sound as crisp as possible.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I would go with a Yamaha receiver. Judging from online complaints, and from other things (one of my brothers repairs electronics for a living), Yamaha seems to be as reliable as you can get.

Onkyo seems to be pretty poor these days; just look for threads dealing with Onkyo reliability and read them for yourself if you are interested.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1524399/new-receiver-help#post_24532768

I would go with a Yamaha receiver. Judging from online complaints, and from other things (one of my brothers repairs electronics for a living), Yamaha seems to be as reliable as you can get.

Onkyo seems to be pretty poor these days; just look for threads dealing with Onkyo reliability and read them for yourself if you are interested.

Yeah; I'm looking to stay away from Onkyo,

I'm eyeing the Denon 3313 receiver; it has good reviews; but just wanted to see other opinions on which direction I should go.

Any particular Yamaha receivers you recommend in the $600 range?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorowsky  /t/1524399/new-receiver-help/0_100#post_24532788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1524399/new-receiver-help#post_24532768

I'm eyeing the Denon 3313 receiver; it has good reviews; but just wanted to see other opinions on which direction I should go.

Before I state anything else, you should download the manual of anything you are considering, before buying anything, to make sure it has all the features you require.

Normally, I try to keep things under budget, but since you say "range," I will suggest something that will cost $699.99 delivered:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA1020/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A1020.html

It is discounted because it is last year's model and is discontinued. It is a really nice unit.

Now, as a practical matter, it is usually most cost-effective to buy the least expensive receiver, of a good brand, that has all of the features you require. One reason is that when new features come out and you feel the need to get them, you will be replacing the receiver. You don't do that with speakers, as they don't come out with new "features," so they are a place to throw plenty of money (as well as the fact that they impact the sound more than any other gear).

·
Premium Member
93,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorowsky  /t/1524399/new-receiver-help/0_100#post_24532788

If you prefer using Audyssey, the 3313CI uses the same version of MultEQ XT as does your 709 which can EQ the sub whereas the lower level Yamaha models to include the A1020 (2012) and A1030 (2013) cannot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1524399/new-receiver-help#post_24533337

If you prefer using Audyssey, the 3313CI uses the same version of MultEQ XT as does your 709 which can EQ the sub whereas the lower level Yamaha models to include the A1020 (2012) and A1030 (2013) cannot.

jd: Would you say the Denon 3313 is better than the Yama A1020?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorowsky  /t/1524399/new-receiver-help/0_100#post_24533592

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1524399/new-receiver-help#post_24533337

It is different, with different features. You should download the manual for each, and consider what matters most to you. You might also want to search for professional online reviews of each, in which performance is measured. In basic performance, I doubt that there is much practical difference. That leaves features and reliability.

·
Premium Member
93,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorowsky  /t/1524399/new-receiver-help/0_100#post_24533592

Likely yes if only for the fact of the better EQ, however, depending on your feature requirements you may also want to consider the Denon X3000 which offers HDMI/digital audio to Zone 2, HDMI Instapreview (picture in picture of HDMI sources) and also Video Select to watch HDMI video source while listening to on board network source (none of which is featured on the 3313CI), although the 3313CI does feature dedicated Front Height/Front Wide speaker posts as well as dedicated Stereo 2CH settings so also depends on your total feature requirements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts