AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want one that shows in the display Hd audio , I understand the yamaha does not. And of course, it has to work HD audio , hdmi 1.3

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Yamaha RX-V663 or Onkyo TX-SR606 or higher would do the trick. Unfortunately, they are both higher than your stated price requirement. It might be another year before you can get a DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD decoding receiver for $300.

Greg

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
What player will you be using?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm on the on the fence -still debating whether to wait and buy the Sony S550 for $500 and use my old exiting yamaha receiver RX-V1400 or spend a few dollars more for the ONkyo for $500 and get a budget blu-ray DVD player. I'm leaning to the latter.

BTW, I read the thread for the Onkyo 606, it got great reviews in the recent Home Theatre Mag, but the thread talks a lot about buzzing, I just was wondering is this still an issue?

Does the Yamaha and Onkyo displaying on the front DTS-HD and dolby True-HD format? My yamaha usually defaults to ENchanced Surround sounds.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong /forum/post/14226111

The Yamaha RX-V663 or Onkyo TX-SR606 or higher would do the trick. Unfortunately, they are both higher than your stated price requirement. It might be another year before you can get a DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD decoding receiver for $300.

Greg

The Yamaha RX-V663 will never Display DTS-HD or DTS-MA in large fonts on the front display panel. It will always show something like "Straight"!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, If I increase my budget a couple of hundred dollars, is the Onkyo 606 slightly better then the Yamaha RX-V663 And will the ONkyo show DTS/HD on display? I got a bug up the kabooz about that.

I would love to save money and just buy the BD Sony S550 and keep my receiver but , more cables, and it would be nice to see the new format on display and they suppose to be way better audio then your regular dTS and dolby digital.

comments?

·
Registered
273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/14228443

The Yamaha RX-V663 will never Display DTS-HD or DTS-MA in large fonts on the front display panel. It will always show something like "Straight"!

The RX-V663 supports DTS-HD - I guess you're right about the large text showing DTS, Yamaha uses a small icon to denote that DTS is enabled. So, technically, it does "show in the display" but not prominantly. =)

Greg

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
As you plan on getting a receiver with TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoders (that seems to be what you want,) you should look at the new $400 Sony player.

It will lack analog outputs and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding and some other features, but it could save you $100.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The release day is this tuesday, July 15, Sony BD350, SWEET!

Thanks for the information.

NOw the search is where is the best price place for the Onkyo 606?

I actually saw it for $399 at Amazon, which is not bad, that is 100 dollars less then most places. Sometimes, Amazon has a Friday special, I wonder if anyone seen it for less.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
M Code, good find, question and I do some research, what is the difference between the 2 , Onkyo 605 B stock and 606?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 605 has less HDMi and upscaling. My main concern that it shows the in the Display when it play DTS/MA and True/HD. Can anyone confirms that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts