AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I need to invest in a new reciever or amp. I currently own an Onkyo tx-sr604 and running a 5.1 system in the living room. I have a polk new monitor 25c for the center, mnew monitor 45b for fronts, and polk t15 in the rear. Im running the volume around 60 on the receiver and was wondering if I need more power so I dont ruin my speakers. Ive read a lot online that its better to have more power than the speakers can take and was wondering if the reciever itself would b sufficient.

I was considering of updating the reciever so I can take advantage of simply using hdmi, and wireless and bluetooth. I was thinking of getting the onkyo tx-nr626, or should I stick with keeping the one I have and getting an amp. What amps are good that won't break the bank and would it be better to.get a receiver only. I greatly appreciate your input.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt919  /t/1523683/new-receiver-or-amp#post_24513581

I was wondering if I need to invest in a new reciever or amp. I currently own an Onkyo tx-sr604 and running a 5.1 system in the living room. I have a polk new monitor 25c for the center, mnew monitor 45b for fronts, and polk t15 in the rear. Im running the volume around 60 on the receiver and was wondering if I need more power so I dont ruin my speakers. Ive read a lot online that its better to have more power than the speakers can take and was wondering if the reciever itself would b sufficient.

I was considering of updating the reciever so I can take advantage of simply using hdmi, and wireless and bluetooth. I was thinking of getting the onkyo tx-nr626, or should I stick with keeping the one I have and getting an amp. What amps are good that won't break the bank and would it be better to.get a receiver only. I greatly appreciate your input.

Probably you don't need more power. If you did you would be complaining about distortion and thermal shut down.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt919  /t/1523683/new-receiver-or-amp#post_24513581

I was wondering if I need to invest in a new receiver or amp. I currently own an Onkyo tx-sr604 and running a 5.1 system in the living room. I have a polk new monitor 25c for the center, new monitor 45b for fronts, and Polk t15 in the rear. I'm running the volume around 60 on the receiver and was wondering if I need more power so I don't ruin my speakers. Ive read a lot online that its better to have more power than the speakers can take and was wondering if the receiver itself would b sufficient.

The idea that a too small amplifier will damage speakers is an audio salesman myth that has no basis in fact butseems to be selling some powerful amplifiers. With an average room, average efficiency speakers, and average preferences for loudness, an AVR will usually do the job. The Polk 45s have average efficiency which moves you away from any problem areas related to inefficient speakers. Adding a good subwoofer can make the power your AVR has even more adequate by offloading the low bass where much of the energy of music is.
Quote:
I was considering of updating the receiver so I can take advantage of simply using hdmi, and wireless and bluetooth.

This can't be argued with.
Quote:
I was thinking of getting the onkyo tx-nr626, or should I stick with keeping the one I have and getting an amp. What amps are good that won't break the bank and would it be better to.get a receiver only. I greatly appreciate your input.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
There is no way that your amp can "ruin your speakers", unless you crank it up so loud that there is obvious terrible distortion, in which case you should have the good sense to simply turn it down until the distortion goes away.

Any time that the system distorts badly both the receiver and speakers are at risk, so never allow that to happen.

I very much doubt that there is anything wrong at all with your setup. Power is a total non-issue, in any case. with all 5 channels driven, your receiver should be able to put out about 50 watts per channel or so, which is all you need for those speakers.

On the other hand, if you would like better SOUND QUALITY, I would suggest that you consider getting a NAD receiver, which IMO will sound better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thabks everyone for your replies, I greatly.appreciate your feedback. Commsysman, what is a nad reciever??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts