AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Sorry in advance for the long post....I have recently moved into a new home which will have a dedicated media room which is 15x12.  So far the setup will include a new Sharp LC-60EQ10U, Pionner Andrew Jones line of speakers with the FS52 for mains, SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer, Apple TV, PS3, and cable box.  I have a Harman Kardon AVR230 receiver from an old setup.  The remaining budget will allow for a new mid-range receiver while using my PS3 for a Blu Ray player or keep the HK receiver and go with an Oppo-103 which can be used for HDMI switching with the 2 HDMI input.  The old receiver has both 7.1 analog inputs and output should I ever decide to upgrade to an external amp (possible Emotiva UPA-700). The HK is only rated at 50Wx7.  I am only running 5.1 currently but plan to possibly upgrade in the future as the room is wired for front and rear speakers. 

So, which would I be better off with?  A new receiver or the Oppo?  Would the room EQ in a new receiver be more beneficial or since the room layout is pretty basic would I be OK to setup the EQ on my own?  I have never experienced Audyssey, YPAO, etc.

If going with a lower price receiver such as the Denon X1000 or Marantz NR1403 I could possibly do both but not sure if those would meet my needs long term.  

If getting a new receiver, below are what I am considering as Best Buy/Magnolia are currently running a sale in store which is not reflected online. 

Denon X1000 -$349 (only 5.1)

Denon X3000 - $699

Marantz SR5008 - $819

Marantz NR1403 - $379

Yamaha A-830 - $659

Yamaha A-1030 - $899

Thanks in advance for any assistance or input! 

·
Registered
27 Posts
IMO, I would up the budget a bit and go for the Denon X4000. Call JDSmoothie from AVS for a reasonable price. It's VERY close to your later choices, and I just purchased one from him a few weeks ago. He is very easy to deal with.

Later when 4k is more mature get the Oppo of choice then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts