AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of a receiver upgrade. I have a Yamaha RX-V659 and it is a great receiver but lacks HDMI and the new HD decoders. I also use an older PS3 that will not bitstream the codec. I have wondered what option would suit my situation the best.

A) buy a blu-ray player with multichannel analogue outputs to take advantage of the legacy receiver and lose all the benefits of the receiver other than amplifieing the decoded signal from the player.

B) buy a cheaper receiver like the Yamaha RX-V567 that does the HD codecs via HDMI but be limeted bu the PS3 that decodes and send linear pcm thus losing all the benefits of the receiver.

It seems as though i will have to buy both a player and a receiver to get the "TRUE" flexibility and sound from the lossless codec. Am I wrong in these assumptions?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have the fat PS3 and am satisfied with it as a Blu-ray player. I use PCM, and I see no issues with that.

I just wish it could output 480i when playing DVDs, but few players do that. There's even discusion, I think, that the fat PS3 may support 3D movies, which is a neat trick.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19530217

I have the fat PS3 and am satisfied with it as a Blu-ray player. I use PCM, and I see no issues with that.

I just wish it could output 480i when playing DVDs, but few players do that. There's even discusion, I think, that the fat PS3 may support 3D movies, which is a neat trick.

yes 3d support (but limited to 1080i).

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/19529327

Option B. There's no loss in audio fidelity sending the HD codecs as PCM from the PS3.

So if I send the signal via PCM, do I retain the receivers abilities to set speaker distance, levels and bass management?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne /forum/post/19532085

So if I send the signal via PCM, do I retain the receivers abilities to set speaker distance, levels and bass management?

I would be surprised to find a receiver that did not not let you do all that. It would be junk.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
As a disclaimer, and if I recall correctly, there were a few receivers that had some sort of limits on PCM, that that was years ago, and it seems it was something like not being to apply Dolby Pro Logic IIx processing to the PCM.

That was back in the early days of HD video, and I have not heard of that limitation in any recent models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts