AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My room is 12.5x15. I usually watch movies at -10 or -5 and is PLENTY loud. I'm using the Oppo 83 using the analog into the Denon.

I've been wanting to upgrade my receiver for years now but was and still scared of not being happy with the sound compared to the Denon.

With all the new gadgets and new codecs and streaming etc the cons are stacking up on this old receiver. I just got the 80" Sharp and now streaming Netflix I can't even get 5.1 because no DD+ on this receiver. Not to mention the whole HDMI problem and now I get a little audio sync problem when watching TV.

Anyway I was wondering which newer receivers will have all the bell and whistles and be close or if better than the receiver I have now. Not looking to break the bank but want to weigh all my options in any price range.

·
Banned
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLocal175  /t/1420610/new-receiver-to-match-a-older-denon-avr-4800#post_22225836

Not looking to break the bank but want to weigh all my options in any price range.

An 80" flat screen and he's worried about breaking the bank.

What's your budget and what are your expectations?

I'd suggest the Marantz SR7007 but it's not THX certified.

At this level of receiver, meeting THX standards, won't be a problem.

-

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My receiver is going on 13 years old, not sure of my expectations. I guess my main concern is the overall sound quality and the power to keep me at my listening levels I use now for the size of my room. I would assume almost every new receiver would be adequate for getting me to the levels I'm use to but I don't want a downgrade in SQ.

I'm surprised the wife gave me the go ahead on the TV, if I tell her I might spend another 1-2k I might be looking for a new home for all my equipment. Can I achieve what I'm looking for under 1k?

·
Banned
8,303 Posts
Gotta love the "Wife Factor."

What you ask is easily doable in the form of a Marantz SR5007, two-day delivered from Vann's, for $750.00. Denon has some excellent choices in the sub-$1k price point also. My familiarity is with Denon and Marantz.

And good news, referb and open box Blu-ray players can be had at, quite literally, throw away pricing; $37.41 .

From personal experience, the Marantz SR5007, driven through Klipsch, Epic CF-3's; very, very, very clean, neutral sound quality. As to listening levels, that's going depend on your sitting distance from the speakers, the size of the room and the efficiency of the speakers. I'm approximately twelve feet from the mains and the main Klipsch speakers have a sensitivity of 100dB 1w/1m and without a sub, they have plenty of bass. The room size is a semi-open 15' X 25' with a twelve foot cathedral ceiling. Unless planning to rock the neighborhood, there's plenty of power to, with powered subs, drive a full 7.1 theater system to THX theater levels for your evening movie viewing pleasure.

A way to upgrade on the cheap are open box returns and referbs. Remember, once installed into one's system, all receivers qualify as "open" box.

Two examples of factory referbs at a killer price from accessories4less:

Denon AVR4310CI . (Warning, HDMI version 1.3)

Marantz SR6006. (HDMI 1.4a compatible)

Hope the above helps give you some ideas.

-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts